O'Halloran

Gaz52

RANGERS winger Michael O’Halloran reckons an end-of-season hibernation is still preferable to being Hibs.

The Light Blues end their league season at St Mirren on Sunday before starting a 20-day countdown to the Scottish Cup Final.

They will play one low-key, closed-doors friendly against Spurs in the build-up to the Hampden showpiece on May 21.

Their Easter Road rivals, however, will not find match sharpness an issue as they head for the Premiership play-offs.

They could face another six matches, including their last league game against Queen of the South on Sunday, before the final.

Rangers have hit a mini form slump in the wake of their Cup semi-final defeat of Celtic a fortnight ago.

They lost 3-2 to Hibs in the league, drew 1-1 with Alloa at their Ibrox title party then crashed 1-0 at Livingston on Tuesday night.

O’Halloran admits boss Mark Warburton told his players in no uncertain terms their recent form has been unacceptable.

To add to the frustration of the former St Johnstone star, he is suspended for the final but will be with his team-mates every step these next few weeks – and knows which club is in the better position.

He said: “I’d rather be in our shoes than Hibs’. We’re the league champions. We beat Celtic and we’re still a confident bunch of lads so I’d definitely rather be us.

“We’ve got a game on Sunday at St Mirren, so a win would be a good way to end the season and go into a cup final. That’s the aim and we’re determined to win to put three bad performances right.

“Every game matters when you play for Rangers. That’s the expectation of the club and fans. As players, we want to win every match.

“We got a dressing-down after the Livingston match and fair play because the performance wasn’t acceptable. We knew we were below par.

“We won the league early then the Petrofac Cup and the Celtic game and it was such a high so maybe it’s natural, although it’s still not acceptable. That’s three games without a win and you can’t do that at our club.

“It’s not the manager’s style to lose the rag but he commands that respect so when he talks we all listen. He let us know in his way, although we knew ourselves it wasn’t good enough.
“The manager and the players have discussions after every game. Even if we win we look at the positives and negatives of our performance. Obviously there have been a few more negatives recently.

“I don’t believe we’ve taken our foot off the gas. We’ll analyse it and get it sorted on the training pitch.”

O’Halloran and on-loan Hearts winger Billy King are cup tied but he would never dream of asking permission from the manager to head off on holiday a couple of weeks early.

He said: “It’s obviously disappointing to miss out on a cup final but I knew it would happen.

“I’ll be there to support the lads over the next few weeks and I’ll be at the final. I love training anyway, it’s brilliant"

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read that article.

The posts about him not enjoying himself, not happy to be here, not wanting to be here etc are complete and utter shite by folk with an agenda. 

He is quite clearly a quiet guy so aye, he isn't going to jump in the crowd and grab a megaphone (especially when he was only here for less than half the season) but you can see how happy he is in his interviews, especially the ones after signing and winning the league. 

MOH will come good. Judge him after next season.

I think that come next season he'll prove to be a good addition to the team. He's used to playing with not much of the ball at St Johnstone and hitting teams on the break with his pace, this season we've been camped out in the oppositions area for most the game and move it with short paces from sides to side prying for an opening. I don't think he's used to this style of play at all and you can see it with his movement off the ball.

I'll hold my judgement on him until he gets a full pre season with the team and begins to understand how we play a bit better. He'll come good.

58 minutes ago, BlueBeard said:

Maybe because he's been poor on a weekly basis.

Maybe because he's new to the style of play we employ which he's said himself he's still wrapping his head around it.

Also he's been with us for 3 months, it'll take him time to find his place. He's had moments of genius and he does have perks to him that for example McKay doesn't have

2 hours ago, RFCRobertson said:

Maybe because he's new to the style of play we employ which he's said himself he's still wrapping his head around it.

Also he's been with us for 3 months, it'll take him time to find his place. He's had moments of genius and he does have perks to him that for example McKay doesn't have

Hope you prove me wrong and he turns into a great player for us, just don't see anything yet, maybe a good pre season will turn things around for him, as many have said.

"He's had moments of genius", come on, Gazza and Laudrup had moments of genius, how anyone can say MOH has had moments of genius in the three month he's been at Ibrox is just, as you said in your first post..."talking more shite than ten arses".

5 hours ago, BlueBeard said:

If MOH had been an Ayr United fan and had no connection to Scum fc whatsoever, would there be so many on here willing to defend his performances? I honestly think not.

I think he is actually getting of lightly because of his background, going on his performances since arriving, he must go down as a huge disappointment so far.

Alternatively he was doomed from the start with many as a result of his background, just depends on your POV I suppose.

1 hour ago, Big Al II said:

Alternatively he was doomed from the start with many as a result of his background, just depends on your POV I suppose.

Why are you using his background as an excuse for him under performing ? Going by what your saying, Mo and Kenny (second time around) would never have been a success at Rangers, they had much more baggage than MOH, difference is, they turned  in performances to win over the fans who doubted them.

Hope he does make me eat my words and has a fantastic season next year. But why is it, that anyone who slates his poor form so far, is being accused of having made their point through bigotry, rather than the fact that he has been a major disappointment in most games he has played ?

He had a tremendous game and was my MOTM, I think it was against St Mirren and he was going past guys as if they weren't there.

Sadly that was one game and has susequently been on the periphery of games.

I hope he comes good and a good pre season and a fresh start with no cup tied games may let us see the best of him or what he has to offer.

8 hours ago, PRW. said:

RANGERS winger Michael O’Halloran reckons an end-of-season hibernation is still preferable to being Hibs.

The Light Blues end their league season at St Mirren on Sunday before starting a 20-day countdown to the Scottish Cup Final.

They will play one low-key, closed-doors friendly against Spurs in the build-up to the Hampden showpiece on May 21.

Their Easter Road rivals, however, will not find match sharpness an issue as they head for the Premiership play-offs.

They could face another six matches, including their last league game against Queen of the South on Sunday, before the final.

Rangers have hit a mini form slump in the wake of their Cup semi-final defeat of Celtic a fortnight ago.

They lost 3-2 to Hibs in the league, drew 1-1 with Alloa at their Ibrox title party then crashed 1-0 at Livingston on Tuesday night.

O’Halloran admits boss Mark Warburton told his players in no uncertain terms their recent form has been unacceptable.

To add to the frustration of the former St Johnstone star, he is suspended for the final but will be with his team-mates every step these next few weeks – and knows which club is in the better position.

He said: “I’d rather be in our shoes than Hibs’. We’re the league champions. We beat Celtic and we’re still a confident bunch of lads so I’d definitely rather be us.

“We’ve got a game on Sunday at St Mirren, so a win would be a good way to end the season and go into a cup final. That’s the aim and we’re determined to win to put three bad performances right.

“Every game matters when you play for Rangers. That’s the expectation of the club and fans. As players, we want to win every match.

“We got a dressing-down after the Livingston match and fair play because the performance wasn’t acceptable. We knew we were below par.

“We won the league early then the Petrofac Cup and the Celtic game and it was such a high so maybe it’s natural, although it’s still not acceptable. That’s three games without a win and you can’t do that at our club.

“It’s not the manager’s style to lose the rag but he commands that respect so when he talks we all listen. He let us know in his way, although we knew ourselves it wasn’t good enough.
“The manager and the players have discussions after every game. Even if we win we look at the positives and negatives of our performance. Obviously there have been a few more negatives recently.

“I don’t believe we’ve taken our foot off the gas. We’ll analyse it and get it sorted on the training pitch.”

O’Halloran and on-loan Hearts winger Billy King are cup tied but he would never dream of asking permission from the manager to head off on holiday a couple of weeks early.

He said: “It’s obviously disappointing to miss out on a cup final but I knew it would happen.

“I’ll be there to support the lads over the next few weeks and I’ll be at the final. I love training anyway, it’s brilliant"

Nice to read. If you only read the posts on here you'd go away thinking he hates playing for Rangers and CBA. 

I'd love to see us play him through the middle next season with Waggy on the right and McKay on the left. If Kenny Miller can work with him on his movement he could be good for us. I also think in Europe (if we get there) he will be a great asset against the better teams we come up against, when we need an out ball. Gives us the opportunity to hit a ball over the top every once in a while. 

2 hours ago, BlueBeard said:

Why are you using his background as an excuse for him under performing ? Going by what your saying, Mo and Kenny (second time around) would never have been a success at Rangers, they had much more baggage than MOH, difference is, they turned  in performances to win over the fans who doubted them.

Hope he does make me eat my words and has a fantastic season next year. But why is it, that anyone who slates his poor form so far, is being accused of having made their point through bigotry, rather than the fact that he has been a major disappointment in most games he has played ?

Please tell me where in my post I used his background as an excuse?

57 minutes ago, Big Al II said:

Please tell me where in my post I used his background as an excuse?

Fair enough, you weren't using it as an excuse for his under performing, you were using it as the reason why he is being criticised though,"he was doomed from the start with many, as a result of his background ", so your basically saying he is being criticised because of his background, rather than the fact that he's underperforming.

I've criticised his play after hoping he would be a good signing, but I would say he played better in the first half against Livingston. Hopefully he can get some perspective in the close season about his game and our style of play and come back a better player. He's a nice guy, a model professional I would suggest, it would be good if he became a top player in the years to come.

1 hour ago, BlueBeard said:

Fair enough, you weren't using it as an excuse for his under performing, you were using it as the reason why he is being criticised though,"he was doomed from the start with many, as a result of his background ", so your basically saying he is being criticised because of his background, rather than the fact that he's underperforming.

Same as you were using it as an excuse why he wasn't being criticised enough, I was just providing the opposite pov.

He deserves criticism, he also deserves a chance, a run in the team against opposition not playing ten men behind the ball.

Some people made their mind up before he kicked a ball, others were all to willing to jump on the bandwagon and condem him after 3 months, I'll give him until this time next year, regardless of his 'background'.

22 minutes ago, Big Al II said:

Same as you were using it as an excuse why he wasn't being criticised enough, I was just providing the opposite pov.

He deserves criticism, he also deserves a chance, a run in the team against opposition not playing ten men behind the ball.

Some people made their mind up before he kicked a ball, others were all to willing to jump on the bandwagon and condem him after 3 months, I'll give him until this time next year, regardless of his 'background'.

I never once said "he was not being criticised enough", if you read back, my whole point was that people were defending him because of his background and not on his performances, I still stand by that opinion. 

Yes he defiantly deserves a chance next season, but let's judge him on his football ability alone and not because of some agenda to defend him because its PC to stick up for MOH against the "people who had made their mind up before a ball was kicked".

This guy is going to be fundamental to our long term success if you ask me. See in games that don't have pure possession, leaving him and wee baz up top will annihilate teams on the break. 

Might not be plan a, but if you don't get the ball then you do what you can. We could spend 10 million and still not get a kick of the ball in Europe. 

3 minutes ago, Ivybank said:

500,00 and he couldn't even get on as a sub,ahead of ball,Clark and shiels...

That's likely because he can't play in our remaining game.