Rangers über alles

10 hours ago, Sam English Loyal said:

I've always regarded our best European performance, and result, was the ECWC semi-final, 2nd leg, at Ibrox v Bayern Munich 1972. They had the backbone of what was to become the 1974 World Cup winning West Germany team. I distinctly remember Willie Johnston sitting on the ball, almost right in front of me.

It was a victory that ensured our 1st European success in Barcelona a few weeks later.

The papers had the attendance as 80 000, but Ibrox was jam packed that night, and we thought that there was over 100 000 at the game. I never paid to get in, as my brother sneaked me in behind him, or I got a lift in, over the turnstyle, changed days indeed...

I was at the borussia game. What a privilege to be weaned on the football of that briliant Rangers team.

Followed them down to wolverhampton in the next round where there was so many Gers punters we took over the town.

At the game i got removed by plod from the boys section for fighting. 11 years old :)

1 hour ago, Thewhitesettler said:

I've always regarded our best European performance, and result, was the ECWC semi-final, 2nd leg, at Ibrox v Bayern Munich 1972. They had the backbone of what was to become the 1974 World Cup winning West Germany team. I distinctly remember Willie Johnston sitting on the ball, almost right in front of me.

It was a victory that ensured our 1st European success in Barcelona a few weeks later.

The papers had the attendance as 80 000, but Ibrox was jam packed that night, and we thought that there was over 100 000 at the game. I never paid to get in, as my brother sneaked me in behind him, or I got a lift in, over the turnstyle, changed days indeed...

We have been a little spoilt in that regard. So many epic European nights. The win over Bayern was a fantastic result. As you say most of that team would go on to become full internationals in that fantastic West German side, and of course Bayern went on to win three European cups in a row just a couple of years later.

There have been quite a few other epic games down through the years too. 1967 when we were very close to beating Bayern in the Cup Winners Cup final, 1993 when we were a hairs breadth from the European cup final, beating a very good Parma side to qualify for the Champions League. The road to Manchester in '08. 

I often think we have been tremendously unfortunate not to have won much more in Europe. Although in the 9IAR years there were also some terrible performances and poor results. 

Hopefully we will see Rangers win something in Europe again in the next 10 years or so. We live in hope.