Warburtons style of play

MolsGoals

Before I start I just want to make it clear I'm not having a go at Warbs and I am a big believer in all of his work that he's done so far in his time at the club, just looking for opinions 

Basically, over the past few games we've struggled to break teams down and I think that in key could be due to a lack of a midfielder that has a lot of creativity picking out that final ball, however seeing teams like Leicester do so well with there counter attacking style and some other teams like Atletico Madrid it makes you think wether the possession based style of play is moving out of fashion a bit, I do agree that some of the stuff we have seen this season has been the best at Ibrox for a long time. e.g first half in the semi final, dundee, hibs 4-2 game etc.

However there has been times in games where we just don't look like scoring ever and its pretty frustrating considering the amount of possession we have in the oppositions half, where if any could we make amendments to our tactics or is it just a case that we need the better quality of player to be able to break teams down because even going up a league I still expect to see teams sitting in with all men behind the ball and trying to break against us.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We  need better players some of these players won't play next year, he built a team to get us up now he has to build a team to get us winning the league.I have some reservations about him as anyone does as we all think we are Managers here, but he's achieved what he's been tasked to do, hopefully, he will do the same next year as well. 

1 minute ago, pcbear said:

Before this season I thought football was going out of fashion, behave ffs its a job in progress and the improvement to the previous seasons are off the scale.

100% agree I couldn't have asked for much more considering the state we were in at the end of last season its night and day and I have complete trust in warbs, just looking for a bit of discussion to see if theres anything obvious we could build on.

1 minute ago, WATP-FOREVER said:

You'll be seeing a better team with better players next season; fitter, stronger, faster and with a strong defensive midfielder.

One season and we are light years away from what he inherited.

The prospect of another summer rebuilding is frighteningly exciting when you look at it that way :D 

Sometimes you just need to get the ball in the box, I'm not saying Sam Allardyce style but from when we hit the byline, swing it in, don't check back and and play a pass to the middle of the park, and corners need to be swung in from time to time, we get over 10 corners from most games, we should be putting these in to the box instead of the short option

9 minutes ago, MolsGoals said:

Before I start I just want to make it clear I'm not having a go at Warbs and I am a big believer in all of his work that he's done so far in his time at the club, just looking for opinions 

Basically, over the past few games we've struggled to break teams down and I think that in key could be due to a lack of a midfielder that has a lot of creativity picking out that final ball, however seeing teams like Leicester do so well with there counter attacking style and some other teams like Atletico Madrid it makes you think wether the possession based style of play is moving out of fashion a bit, I do agree that some of the stuff we have seen this season has been the best at Ibrox for a long time. e.g first half in the semi final, dundee, hibs 4-2 game etc.

However there has been times in games where we just don't look like scoring ever and its pretty frustrating considering the amount of possession we have in the oppositions half, where if any could we make amendments to our tactics or is it just a case that we need the better quality of player to be able to break teams down because even going up a league I still expect to see teams sitting in with all men behind the ball and trying to break against us.

There is nothing wrong with our style of play.

We finish the vast majority of games with 60% plus possession, with double figures in attempts on goals pretty much every game. We have almost never not looked like scoring this season. It's been a consistent trait of this team that we can score at any time from the first minute to the ninety first. 

Teams set up against us to frustrate, five man defences and six man midfields. It sometimes works, as the past few games have shown, but the majority of games we find a way through. That's why we've walked the league and are in the Scottish Cup Final. 

Next season, with a bit more quality added to the squad will see us able to break down these teams a lot easier. 

To to say possession football is going out of a fashion is mental.  The two best teams in Europe, Bayern and Barca, play the game this way. If it's good enough for them it's good enough for us. 

1 minute ago, daverfc13 said:

Sometimes you just need to get the ball in the box, I'm not saying Sam Allardyce style but from when we hit the byline, swing it in, don't check back and and play a pass to the middle of the park, and corners need to be swung in from time to time, we get over 10 corners from most games, we should be putting these in to the box instead of the short option

If we had any sort of threat from set pieces we would be a much more dangerous side, at the moment its just no there though.

Rangers have only failed to score in 2 matches this season. 0-0 with killie and beat them in a replay. We got beat 1-0 by livi and we have already won a cup,a league championship and got ourselves into the final of the SC whilst wiping the floor with the top team in the country.  What was it you were saying again????

We were beginning to look too predictable until wee Harry came in and offered us something different.

His signing proves the gaffer has identified the weaknesses in our play so when he gets more competition in the summer we will be in a good place.

Waiting for the new thread Mr Warburton's Choice of Lottery numbers.

I asked Mr Warburton for lottery numbers and I only won £20,000 come on surely you can do better.

as most have already said the issue is the quality of player. Replace the likes of law and shiels with better quality and we'll see us cut teams open again.

Perhaps we should sack the manager and set up a ',managerial committee' made up of RM members with blazers and tracksuits for everyone.  

Seriously we have played some really attractive football this season, not just in comparison to the last three or four seasons, some of the most attractive football I have seen Rangers play.  MW has  always maintained that promotion was only part of a long term project.  I imagine that winning 55 next season is the follow up task.  

Continued improvement, its the Rangers way and Scotty is correct, we have missed a barrowload of chances this season yet only twice have failed to score in games, not a bad record.

55 minutes ago, scottyscott1963 said:

Rangers have only failed to score in 2 matches this season. 0-0 with killie and beat them in a replay. We got beat 1-0 by livi and we have already won a cup,a league championship and got ourselves into the final of the SC whilst wiping the floor with the top team in the country.  What was it you were saying again????

It's not the scoring that worries me most it's the defending.

Mark said last week he'd never change our style of play but unless we're signing Messi and Ronaldo he'll definitely have to tweak it a little. Fact is we're far too easy to score against and that'll need to change or valuable points will be lost. I'm not 100% sure Mark realises that at Rangers you MUST win first and foremost and if you don't the performance is NOTHING. Hopefully he won't have to learn the hard way and thankfully the signs are good for his report card is 8/10 this season.

It's a quandary all class teams face v kick & run opposition, & teams worth mega millions still can't stop well organised 9 man defences turning them over from time to time. Look at Walter in Europe. It's a question of what type of football you prefer to watch, win lose or draw? I know my answer.

2 hours ago, MolsGoals said:

Before I start, I'm not having a go at you mate, but you've got it all back to front.

Our style of play is nice on the eye and entertaining, so there's not that much to change. Yes, players have off days, but that's why we use subs.

On the other hand, whoever we play don't give us a decent game, they sit back, waiting for a breakaway and hope. Any team can play that way, because they can't play our way.

So instead of apportioning any blame, ALL the other teams are the ones where the blame lies. 

16 minutes ago, bornabear said:

Before I start, I'm not having a go at you mate, but you've got it all back to front.

Our style of play is nice on the eye and entertaining, so there's not that much to change. Yes, players have off days, but that's why we use subs.

On the other hand, whoever we play don't give us a decent game, they sit back, waiting for a breakaway and hope. Any team can play that way, because they can't play our way.

So instead of apportioning any blame, ALL the other teams are the ones where the blame lies. 

Thats true mate, but I can see it happening for the majority of next season the same as it has this except when teams break they will have a bit more quality, I am 100% on board with our style of play at the moment my only grievance is that a few times this season we've not done a great job at converting our possession into goals.

As suggested though I think a higher calibre of player should sort this out.