Warburtons style of play

MolsGoals

8 hours ago, tannerall said:

Again I'll say you need to look at this from two perspectives.

1) Will it bring success ?    Answer so far:  Yes

2) As a football fan are you happy to see the game played in style and sophistication, true football entertainment in the tradition of the likes of Ajax of the 70s and Barcelona in more recent times, and could you have imagined our club playing such a high standard of entertaining football at any time in the last 10 years, 5 years, Ally years ? 

As a Gers fan, I truly hope and actually believe it will take us to a new level of achievement, unseen in Scottish football.

As a football fan i quite simply think it is fucking glorious the way we play and express ourselves now on the football park.

I've just drunk most of a bottle of Vodka and don't have the bottle to say that although I've been feeling it since about five games into the season. :lol:

Imagine this boy with an old Rangers budget :drool:

The only thing I'm worried about is that this isn't Richard Gough or Trevor Steven we are sending out so fucking hell knows what will happen if we make Europe and go out with this attitude. It feels bonkers but that is what Warburton will do and I'm right behind the man :uk:

Seems like madness but we play like an expensive side despite being worth buttons. Loved Souness but this guy :drool:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Warburton approaches games in the right manner it's the opposition who should  really change their style. In every game against every opponent there have been large portions of the game where they have 10 men behind the ball...........any team finds such a negative approach to the game difficult to break down.

The only option would be to play like the rest and if that happened we would have a stand offor with no attacking...........the opposition team should remember they are playing a sport that is entertainment and have a responsibility to entertain. They are not doing that at present with the anti football they play.

Just look at every other game that doesn't involve Rangers and you see empty stands...........even their own fans donto want to go due to the pass poor football they play.

No I would rather watch my teams attacking and exciting football any day of the week. 

MW style of play involves a lot of possession & passing, our team isn't set up with a large Centre Forward where McKay hits the byline to out a cross in, our CF are mobile and quick, that's why you often see Barrie or O'Halloran cutting back inside & playing a pass in that direction ... all all about retaining possession & finding the space to play through a team.

That style of play can be frustrated by teams who sit in defensively, look at how Alloa & Livingston filled the space in the final third everything we attacked, in that sense we do need to be able to change it up occasionally, Plan A is great but doing Plan A better is no Plan B.

I love watching the MW brand of football, however teams playing a compact defence against us is a perfectly valid style of play (Walter Smith built a successful career out of it) and it is upto our management team to find a way through that

1 hour ago, William McBeath said:

Agree, just makes me wonder what would have happened with this sort of guy twenty years ago.

I was like a Muslim fundamentalist with Souness and loved Walter but there is no way we would move like this on the ball with such cheap players under them. Makes me feel like we could compete with Advocaats team for 20 million under Warburton.

I don't mean this as a dig at our old managers. There was no European type managers in Britain back then but even in the 2nd division we are like a light weight Dutch team which is good considering where we are at and the shit league system we play in.  

Good post sums up my feelings too 

With regards to the style of football we play and it's likelihood of success. As was said earlier I expect better footballers to be brought in. They wont be of the quality of years past but they will be an improvement on what we have now. I am confident enough in MW and his team to bring in the right footballers for his style of play. There's not much in our current squad that a bit of cutting edge up front and a decent central defender(or two) won't sort out. Central defence will be easier to fix than up front imo.

I am also prepared for the games when our system goes spectacularly wrong. I think we have a style of play that when it works it works well; when it doesn't work it can be spectacularly bad.

10 hours ago, K.A.I said:

I love Warburton's style of play. It's a breath of fresh air (last 3 games apart)

I'll be honest (tin hat on) - I don't think the likes of Miller, Holt, Halliday, Wilson etc are actually great players but when played in a Warburton formation with the right footballing ethos, playing the game the right way etc you really notice the difference.

I've waited a long time for our team to play this way. I don't want it to change. Ever.

Your drink is my drink mate

Your post sums it up for me exactly. It's like watching boys like Henderson going about there business in the 60s. I know it's only a shitty league but it's more about the style than the players. Anyone can see that's down to the manager as these group of players are mostly just good pro's doing the patterns they are told. It will cost us dearly at times but your last sentence sums it up for me. I will take that as we need to move forward.

Thought we would need to suck up a few years of grind-it-out football so this is like a big tin of roses to me :lol:

Go on the magic hat :spraise:

Surely we need a wee cartoon with a magic Warburton on here? 

18 minutes ago, allgers said:

I'm really excited to see how the Mark Warburton revolution works in Europe, great time to be a Rangers Supporter.

In about 4 months we will be able to see how Mr Warburton gets on in Europe for his first time.

I miss Ally's style of football :pipe:

I'm encouraged and happy right now, but am nervous at the thought of playing against the best without investing in quality. At the same time I look at Leicester and hope/pray that our lads can develop their quality in line with the confidence that more and more success brings. I know we need more strength and depth but want to see our young lads take this ride as far as they possibly can... amazing turnround...

I loved WS but one of my most frustrating moments was travelling to Manchester and then seeing how defensively we set ourselves up - we just never had a real go... Hemdani was pish in that match..

So looking forward to the Magical Mystery Tour with MW driving the bus!

:gerbad:

15 hours ago, MolsGoals said:

Before I start I just want to make it clear I'm not having a go at Warbs and I am a big believer in all of his work that he's done so far in his time at the club, just looking for opinions 

Basically, over the past few games we've struggled to break teams down and I think that in key could be due to a lack of a midfielder that has a lot of creativity picking out that final ball, however seeing teams like Leicester do so well with there counter attacking style and some other teams like Atletico Madrid it makes you think wether the possession based style of play is moving out of fashion a bit, I do agree that some of the stuff we have seen this season has been the best at Ibrox for a long time. e.g first half in the semi final, dundee, hibs 4-2 game etc.

However there has been times in games where we just don't look like scoring ever and its pretty frustrating considering the amount of possession we have in the oppositions half, where if any could we make amendments to our tactics or is it just a case that we need the better quality of player to be able to break teams down because even going up a league I still expect to see teams sitting in with all men behind the ball and trying to break against us.

There are many ways to play the game - but if we are to play the possession game we also need to learn penetration - there have been times when the speed we move at and the ball retention along a line just outside the 18 yard box has been frustrating because it lets other teams filter back defensively. But, this is only the end of season 1 - we will have a larger squad and increased quality but I suspect there will be games were we get frustrated at lack of penetration - and games where we destroy teams - it's also quite pleasing on the eye. 

1 hour ago, William McBeath said:

Your drink is my drink mate

Your post sums it up for me exactly. It's like watching boys like Henderson going about there business in the 60s. I know it's only a shitty league but it's more about the style than the players. Anyone can see that's down to the manager as these group of players are mostly just good pro's doing the patterns they are told. It will cost us dearly at times but your last sentence sums it up for me. I will take that as we need to move forward.

Thought we would need to suck up a few years of grind-it-out football so this is like a big tin of roses to me :lol:

Go on the magic hat :spraise:

Surely we need a wee cartoon with a magic Warburton on here? 

2qm10g2.gif

How ridiculously fantastic is it going to be when were back in the CL, playing Barca at their own game:lol:

It's going to be mental and really that will be our downfall as it will show the world MW literally doesn't change his style of play for anyone and it will show how good a manager he actually is. 

Some of the goals weve scored this season, if they were scored by Barca or Bayern they'd be replayed around the world for months after it. 

4 hours ago, daverfc13 said:

We've played a lot of games with Wilson , Kiernan and Ball, that's a good bit of height. And how often do you see teams scoring late goals just through putting the ball in the box, it creates panic, I'm not saying lump it in every opportunity but try it from time to time, mix it up

Frustrating as hell sometimes mate, when we're screaming for cross balls into the box so we can see one of our big defenders or a bustling, old fashioned striker like Waghorn ram the ball home with a classic headed goal....or even a scrambled, lucky second ball going in by feeding off scraps left by an opposition defender's mistake....seems like the simple and obvious way to go and we know how effective it can be, BUT....expect more of the same for as long as MW is here because no way, no how, will he EVER change it! That would mean abandoning his footballing philosophy....not going to happen! I think it's wonderful, if a little frustrating at times! 

3 hours ago, Ace said:

MW style of play involves a lot of possession & passing, our team isn't set up with a large Centre Forward where McKay hits the byline to out a cross in, our CF are mobile and quick, that's why you often see Barrie or O'Halloran cutting back inside & playing a pass in that direction ... all all about retaining possession & finding the space to play through a team.

That style of play can be frustrated by teams who sit in defensively, look at how Alloa & Livingston filled the space in the final third everything we attacked, in that sense we do need to be able to change it up occasionally, Plan A is great but doing Plan A better is no Plan B.

I love watching the MW brand of football, however teams playing a compact defence against us is a perfectly valid style of play (Walter Smith built a successful career out of it) and it is upto our management team to find a way through that

MW will not "change it up occasionally"....that is his whole point....there is No 'plan b'....doesn't exist! 

Plenty of views on why, where, who. Plenty of opinions on style, defence,attack.

The main point which appears to be forgotten, is that this team did not know each other at the start of the season.

Nine months on and they have achieved everything that was in OUR hearts.

So what will we do when we win the SPL next season?, in all probability, some will still moan.

2 hours ago, Bluepeter9 said:

There are many ways to play the game - but if we are to play the possession game we also need to learn penetration - there have been times when the speed we move at and the ball retention along a line just outside the 18 yard box has been frustrating because it lets other teams filter back defensively. But, this is only the end of season 1 - we will have a larger squad and increased quality but I suspect there will be games were we get frustrated at lack of penetration - and games where we destroy teams - it's also quite pleasing on the eye. 

Agree with all your points, but enlarging the squad will probably be kept to a bare minimum....perhaps one or two players added to the overall squad size. MW doesn't want players to be training hard all week with little chance of game time....creates disharmony and affects moral in these players! Joined up thinking from our Mark imo ?.

4 hours ago, Ace said:

We never hit the line and played in front of their defence, you don't need to have a big forward just someone who get himself in the box when the winger gets behind the defence.

We do better when we get in behind the defence rather than tip-toeing around it.

1 hour ago, GrizzlyBear72 said:

Frustrating as hell sometimes mate, when we're screaming for cross balls into the box so we can see one of our big defenders or a bustling, old fashioned striker like Waghorn ram the ball home with a classic headed goal....or even a scrambled, lucky second ball going in by feeding off scraps left by an opposition defender's mistake....seems like the simple and obvious way to go and we know how effective it can be, BUT....expect more of the same for as long as MW is here because no way, no how, will he EVER change it! That would mean abandoning his footballing philosophy....not going to happen! I think it's wonderful, if a little frustrating at times! 

Totally agree , we seen against Celtic what can happen when u put the ball in the box, Halliday fucks up his cross, doesn't beat the first man, yet we still get a lucky bounce and Miller scores

Every style of play has it's pros and cons; counter attack means you need a rock hard defence who are well drilled and if the other team aren't piling on much pressure, it can be pretty ineffective. Our style of play allows us to create chances no matter who the other team are and how they set up, however it requires a lot of energy and only works when the players are putting in 100% due to all the movement off the ball. I think our dip in form has been , to use warburtons words,  natural, due having nothing to play for and therefore not being motivated to put in 100%.

To say a style of play is going out of fashion is irrelevant, so long as its getting us the results and providing entertainment, which it has been all season!

In warbs we trust, WATP.

20 hours ago, MolsGoals said:

Before I start I just want to make it clear I'm not having a go at Warbs and I am a big believer in all of his work that he's done so far in his time at the club, just looking for opinions 

Basically, over the past few games we've struggled to break teams down and I think that in key could be due to a lack of a midfielder that has a lot of creativity picking out that final ball, however seeing teams like Leicester do so well with there counter attacking style and some other teams like Atletico Madrid it makes you think wether the possession based style of play is moving out of fashion a bit, I do agree that some of the stuff we have seen this season has been the best at Ibrox for a long time. e.g first half in the semi final, dundee, hibs 4-2 game etc.

However there has been times in games where we just don't look like scoring ever and its pretty frustrating considering the amount of possession we have in the oppositions half, where if any could we make amendments to our tactics or is it just a case that we need the better quality of player to be able to break teams down because even going up a league I still expect to see teams sitting in with all men behind the ball and trying to break against us.

Because Leicester City have done well with counter attack a lot of managers will copy them. Things come in to vogue and go out when the next big thing comes along. We are a possession based team who work the ball in to the box. Against another team/system the best players on the day will win. Rangers are now in the improve the quality of the player to match the system mode.  I for one enjoy how we play and hope it becomes the Rangers way for many years, I don't want hoof and hope football, just lump it in to the box so a big man can get on the end of it, more brawn less brain type football again. 

I hope MW has set a template that we ask all succeeding to follow or they just don't get the job.

4 minutes ago, ZZed said:

Because Leicester City have done well with counter attack a lot of managers will copy them. Things come in to vogue and go out when the next big thing comes along. We are a possession based team who work the ball in to the box. Against another team/system the best players on the day will win. Rangers are now in the improve the quality of the player to match the system mode.  I for one enjoy how we play and hope it becomes the Rangers way for many years, I don't want hoof and hope football, just lump it in to the box so a big man can get on the end of it, more brawn less brain type football again. 

I hope MW has set a template that we ask all succeeding to follow or they just don't get the job.

?Bang on!