Gasparotto

35 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Doesn't happen very often though, this Hemmings thing. He's been the exception, rather than the rule. Generally if we get rid of players, they don't end up amounting to anything we would regret. I can think of only a few Hemmingses.

I can think of plenty who've either been let go from the first team or never even made it there.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Best of luck to him.

13133167_1065518046854488_14268558548826

Sadly it hasn't worked but Luca at least tried in the circumstances presented to him. At least clear from the above that the dignity associated with being a Ranger has not been lost on him. That will do him no harm at all.  

4 minutes ago, BEE said:

I can think of plenty who've either been let go from the first team or never even made it there.

That have gone on to amount to something we would regret?

I can only think of a few. 

10 minutes ago, Inigo said:

That have gone on to amount to something we would regret?

Not sure what you mean by regret but several could walk into our team, the fact we've re-signed Halliday and are apparently looking to sign Greg Stewart illustrates a point.

Kenny Mclean and possibly Graeme Shinnie aswell (I'm pretty sure he was in a youth team with us but not 100%).

Even Ross McCormick went for £12m :anguish:

Not saying it's just us obviously as Hearts released Cummings and now he's banging in goals for Hibs.

10 minutes ago, BEE said:

Not sure what you mean by regret but several could walk into our team, the fact we've re-signed Halliday and are apparently looking to sign Greg Stewart illustrates a point.

Kenny Mclean and possibly Graeme Shinnie aswell.

Even Ross McCormick went for £12m :anguish:

Not saying it's just us obviously as Hearts released Cummings and now he's banging in goals for Hibs.

McCormick yeah. Hemmings maybe. Stewart? He was 13 when he left us so it's difficult to class that as the same kind of mistake rather than just being unlucky. Wasn't it Andrew that was with us rather than Graeme? Halliday maybe, but again he was very young, so it's not quite the loaning them out, seeing what they're about then letting them move kind of scenario. Kenny McLean isn't a regret for me. He isn't the kind of standard we will be looking at IMO.

But generally players that leave us after being released as youths amount to nothing that much. Especially so with Gasparotto types that have been loaned out and then released. So where we might make a few mistakes up to the age of 17, we generally don't with the older ones we've seen playing on loan at other clubs.

I'm pretty confident that in Gasparotto we won't have any regrets, largely based on the fact that I have confidence in the staff we have just now to spot a player. Especially with one they know so well.

13 minutes ago, Corky True Legend said:

Charlie Adam?

Entirely different situation. He wasn't a youth player cast off like a Gasparotto. He played with us extensively after being out on loan. The mistake there was WS didn't know how to use him then (perhaps) under valued him when he left, although we did still get a hefty transfer fee and % of the following transfer.

27 minutes ago, BEE said:

I just don't think he stood a chance, sure I read on here that the management team didn't like the look of him when they shipped him out.

My point is I think he did everything possible (winning both young player of the year and player of the year at Airdrie, and I'm pretty sure player of the year at Greenock) but was still not given a chance with us - I don't know what else he could have done.

Probably nothing in the end up. He did his best by your and others account and did very well, and probably improved a bit,  but he didn't improve enough it seems. He isn't the first to be in this position and probably won't be the last. We wish him well. of course 

11 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Entirely different situation. He wasn't a youth player cast off like a Gasparotto. He played with us extensively after being out on loan. The mistake there was WS didn't know how to use him then (perhaps) under valued him when he left, although we did still get a hefty transfer fee and % of the following transfer.

1 hour ago, Inigo said:

Doesn't happen very often though, this Hemmings thing. He's been the exception, rather than the rule. Generally if we get rid of players, they don't end up amounting to anything we would regret. I can think of only a few Hemmingses.

11 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Your first post did not mention youth players; "if we get rid of players"; we got rid of Charlie Adam.

Just now, K.A.I said:

No great loss tbh but let's face it would he be worse than the 2 at the back currently? 

Best of luck to him 

Also would prefer Gallagher to Clarke but that's not saying much.

35 minutes ago, Corky True Legend said:

Your first post did not mention youth players; "if we get rid of players"; we got rid of Charlie Adam.

We were talking about Luca Gasparotto, and then Kane Hemmings. I though it was pretty self evident the specific kind of player we were talking about, especially given the content of RB's post which I replied to and which was clearly referring to the same idea. 

'This Kane Hemmings thing' means youth players we discard that were successful as loans (or we can widen it just youth players we've discarded) that have then come back to haunt us.

I'm with the minority here, I think the lad has made the decision himself after chatting with the gaffer.

The gaffer will be looking to strengthen the centre back positions which is no use to Gasparotto, so he is leaving for first team football.

All the best to him, it certainly doesn't seem like a bitter goodbye going by that post.

Morton fans would like him back but think he'll go to a slightly higher level than they are currently. Perhaps top Championship or lower Premiership. I'd like more of our own youth players in the first team but they have to be good enough and it seems Luca has never been deemed good enough by our management teams so best for everyone he moves on.

Wish he'd played a few more games with us in the third division or spfl 1. 

It's probably the correct decision now though if he's 21 he'll never make the grade with us now considering we loaned someone younger than him in his position (Ball). 

All the best to him, if I was him I'd get over to a team in the MLS like Aird.

40 minutes ago, ThatNightInFlorence said:

Wish he'd played a few more games with us in the third division or spfl 1. 

It's probably the correct decision now though if he's 21 he'll never make the grade with us now considering we loaned someone younger than him in his position (Ball). 

All the best to him, if I was him I'd get over to a team in the MLS like Aird.

Really good shout and actually hope that's what he gets. Maybe a deal with Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver. It'll help his international career too.