Gasparotto

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Raging about this, consistently got player of season every time we loaned him out - what's the point in the loan system if we just release the player regardless of performance?

3 minutes ago, BEE said:

Raging about this, consistently got player of season every time we loaned him out - what's the point in the loan system if we just release the player regardless of performance?

Player of the season at Morton or Airdrie doesn't equate to good enough for us. He could still be dropping below the required standard.

Doesn't invalidate the idea of loaning players out either. He's still probably better than he would otherwise have been.

2 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Player of the season at Morton or Airdrie doesn't equate to good enough for us. He could still be dropping below the required standard.

Doesn't invalidate the idea of loaning players out either. He's still probably better than he would otherwise have been.

Fans at both clubs rave about him, from what I've heard he hardly put a foot wrong.

He may well have improved but if we had no intention of keeping him (which seems very likely) we may as well have released him, from what I've heard of these loan deals the diddy clubs only pick up a small percentage of the wages if any.

If this happened under McCoist we'd be raging but with Warburton and weir I actually trust their judgement of a players ability and potential so if they feel he is t up to the task of premiership football then I'll trust them. We'll have to be careful with the homegrown players rule for the European squad registration (assuming that we qualify for it next year).

2 minutes ago, NeoGeo7 said:

If this happened under McCoist we'd be raging but with Warburton and weir I actually trust their judgement of a players ability and potential so if they feel he is t up to the task of premiership football then I'll trust them. We'll have to be careful with the homegrown players rule for the European squad registration (assuming that we qualify for it next year).

Given that Warburton hasnt , to the best of my knowledge, signed a foreign player since he arrived, I dont think we need to worry about home grown players rule 

9 minutes ago, billscott said:

dont think he will be a big loss   like many other players he is highly rated by people who have never seen him play

we can get a lot better that him

Disagree completely.Seen him quite a few times and though he had great potential.As mentioned elsewhere always was a standout wherever he went on loan.If players go out on loan to gain experience,perform very well at the loan club and don't even get a chance to prove themselves back at Ibrox then where is this path to the first team that was promised??Gutted for the lad as don't think he had a fair crack.Good luck to him in the future.

1 minute ago, BEE said:

Fans at both clubs rave about him, from what I've heard he hardly put a foot wrong.

He may well have improved but if we had no intention of keeping him (which seems very likely) we may as well have released him, from what I've heard of these loan deals the diddy clubs only pick up a small percentage of the wages if any.

Morton and Airdrie fans' standards aren't likely to be that high, so I wouldn't use them as benchmarks.

Anyway, how do you know we had no intention of keeping him? Maybe we'd hoped he'd be better than he turned out to be. As I say, being the best player at Morton or Airdrie isn't necessarily going to mean you're going to be good enough for us. If he's leaving he's clearly not achieved the standard we need.

15 minutes ago, Smile said:

Can he really be worse than the two donkeys at the back.

Im sure there are plans afoot for central defence for next year and MW doesnt think Gasparotto would step up to the kevel he wants. He wont be the first or last to be released by the club and we can only hope our ethos and education sets the young man up to earn a good living elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, Del said:

Given that Warburton hasnt , to the best of my knowledge, signed a foreign player since he arrived, I dont think we need to worry about home grown players rule 

The rule relates to players who have been developed at the club or in Scotland for the last x years. Can't remember exactly what they are but they were a pain in the arse in football manager if you replaced a lot of the Scottish players and the youth weren't good enough.

3 minutes ago, NeoGeo7 said:

The rule relates to players who have been developed at the club or in Scotland for the last x years. Can't remember exactly what they are but they were a pain in the arse in football manager if you replaced a lot of the Scottish players and the youth weren't good enough.

That doesn't apply to European Competition:

"A Home Grown player will be defined as one who, irrespective of his nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to the Football Association (or the Football Association of Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland) for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday (or the end of the season during which he turns 21)."

That is written specifically about English clubs, but there is a rule along those lines you mention where you have to have players trained at the club, but thats not an issue in my opinion, we have guys like Danny Wilson, Barrie McKay, Andy Halliday etc that will be in our starting 11 never mind the youth players we can add to make up the numbers.

This is a bit of a weird one for me...

I know we are trying to kick on and challenge for the title next season but surely we expect our young players to go to these clubs, be a stand out player, then come back and form part of the squad. Different positions I know but Charlie Adam and Allan McGRegor both went on loan to St Mirren, who were in the league below at the time, done well and came back and stepped up into the first team. I think he deserved to have a chance to do the same!

Hopefully he goes onto make a name for himself!

Just now, Rangers_no1 said:

So performing well in the championship isn't enough? Then what's the point as BEE stated above? What else can the kid do? He went out on loan to a middle sized club in the same division and by all accounts performed well. Isn't that what Mark stated he wanted?

How does it look to the other youth players, releasing someone who did the job we asked of him, but the never got a chance to prove himself at us.

The point is to show sufficient quality, not just to perform well. And you can do that in the Championship. He's clearly not shown the sufficient quality (performing well with Morton isn't in itself showing sufficient quality. Performing well with Morton whilst showing the attributes to perform at a higher level is what's required - clearly the staff think he's deficient in the latter in the opinion of MW and his team). 

He clearly didn't do enough. It's that simple. Gasparotto wasn't good enough is what other young players can take from it, for reasons specific to him. 

Although I agree with the sentiment that there was no point loaning him out etc, but just because he was good at his loan clubs doesn't mean he will be good here. Danny Wilson is a far more established centre half and he struggles because of the way we want our centre backs to play, Luca might not be able to fit in with our style. 

All the best to him for the future, hope he goes far in the game.

If performing well in the Championship is the only requisite then half the Falkirk team could be signing targets. Whereas in fact our scouts will know that they still don't have what it takes to play for us in the Prem and beyond.

1 minute ago, Inigo said:

If performing well in the Championship is the only requisite then half the Falkirk team could be signing targets. Whereas in fact our scouts will know that they still don't have what it takes to play for us in the Prem and beyond.

Why loan him out then when realisitically he can do nothing to get near the first team?