Boss Dismisses Everton Link

RFC55

"" style="border: 0px; vertical-align: bottom; background: rgb(227, 227, 227);">

Toffees eye Warburton...Gers boss target

By KEN LAWRENCE

10:00, 1 May 2016

comments

Warburton is wanted News Group Newspapers Ltd

MARK WARBURTON is a shock new candidate to replace doomed Goodison boss Roberto Martinez.

Everton chairman Bill Kenwright and new majority shareholder Farhad Moshiri added the name of the 53 year old to their hit list during a meeting 48 hours ago.

The Rangers manager joins Manuel Pellegrini, Mark Hughes, David Moyes, Sean Dyche of those who are currently being considered.

Warburton has just taken his fallen Glasgow giants back into the Scottish Premiership.

He also guided his side to a shock Scottish Cup semi final victory over Celtic.

Warburton made a big impact in his first job in charge of Brentford gaining a reputation as a forward thinking, attacking coach.

But the Bees sacked him at the end of last season before he headed to Scotland to oversee Rangers return to the top flight as Scottish Championship winners.

From the sun

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, dan_ger said:

Not bad for a man who's had two and a half seasons in football management in lower leagues to be up against Hughes and Pellegrini. 

Seems pretty unlikely though eh...

I'd say it's unlikely also mate

i don't think warburton will go anywhere even if it meant more money. i think the idea of rebuilding our team, implementing a good style of football, good scouting system, and getting us back where we belong is what he wants to do. if he was in it for the money he'd have stayed in england.

6 minutes ago, NamibianBear said:

Now that we are back at the top, and possibly in Europe next season to boot, guess we can expect this kind of headline more often then.

I'd imagine if he does well then we will see him remain for at most 1.5 year up here 

5 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

I'd imagine if he does well then we will see him remain for at most 1.5 year up here 

In a way, I guess we should be glad that we are being looked at by EPL teams whether for players or managers.  For one thing, it means that we are back where we belong.

MW will stay with us if we get into Europe each year and he gets paid enough.  Are we ready to pay the manger what he wants though after the amount we were paying Ally?

5 minutes ago, NamibianBear said:

In a way, I guess we should be glad that we are being looked at by EPL teams whether for players or managers.  For one thing, it means that we are back where we belong.

MW will stay with us if we get into Europe each year and he gets paid enough.  Are we ready to pay the manger what he wants though after the amount we were paying Ally?

I think his budget would effect him more than his annual salary tbh mate. From.what I gather he's done very very well

The more successful he is the more he will be linked to other clubs - I hope he is here to build a Struth type destiny but he is an ambitious man and can his ambitions be satisfied in Scotland. I hope so, but I expect not. 

I'd like to say that the journalists here have used sources and have pretty concrete evidence that Everton are looking at him but as usual, they've probably just imagined that Martinez will get sacked and they've nothing to write about so they'll just make up a fantasy piece about Warburton getting sounded out for the Everton job. 

Pretty standard from the Scottish press. 

Fucking abysmal.

1 minute ago, Rfc52 said:

I think his budget would effect him more than his annual salary tbh mate. From.what I gather he's done very very well

All a guessing game at the moment.

I am  not a fan of the quick decisions to remove managers either.  I prefer not to have a turn over off managers.  Continuity works better than replacing the manger on a whim.  Some do need replaced but they should be given a fair crack.

Personally speaking, MW has done a lot right.  He has done what was expected of him and slightly more by getting into the SC final.  Everyone on here is saying he will be here for a while.  If he fails to win that, how many on here will be screaming for his head?

36 minutes ago, one55 said:

i don't think warburton will go anywhere even if it meant more money. i think the idea of rebuilding our team, implementing a good style of football, good scouting system, and getting us back where we belong is what he wants to do. if he was in it for the money he'd have stayed in england.

I thought the same but then his comments the other day about understanding players having to do what they need to do to ensure they can provide for their families and move around for the money made me wonder if he was setting us up for something.

I'd find it odd, not too mention disappointing, if he left this early as I thought and hoped he'd be here to build something special but that speech the other day has just made me wonder; not that he'd leave after one season but that he'd leave after next year if a good offer came along.

The more we impress the more interest there will be in our manager, there is some tried and tested EPL big hitters in the frame for the job, and speculation is something that cant be stopped even though it is fabricated so we better get used to it.

The ideal scenario would be when MW leaves there is a structure and discipline around the club that would make an internal appointment pretty much seamless (like the old Liverpool bootroom) so its not a rip it up and start again, as everyone knows the "Rangers way" outside in.

Davie Weir will know the system bumper to bumper so I don't think we will have to look too far, Walter never done too bad after Souness's departure.

Anyway its all hypothetical atm lets enjoy the freshness and profesionalism (sp) that oozes from the man when he is in our dug out, lets hope for a while to come.

Well it was very nice of the board of directors to release this sensitive information to the press so quickly after their meeting. 

1 i dont think Everton will sack Martinez and 2 MW wasn't sacked from Brentford. 

35 minutes ago, NamibianBear said:

All a guessing game at the moment.

I am  not a fan of the quick decisions to remove managers either.  I prefer not to have a turn over off managers.  Continuity works better than replacing the manger on a whim.  Some do need replaced but they should be given a fair crack.

Personally speaking, MW has done a lot right.  He has done what was expected of him and slightly more by getting into the SC final.  Everyone on here is saying he will be here for a while.  If he fails to win that, how many on here will be screaming for his head?

I doubt there will be even one person will call for his head even if we lose the SC - there will be disappointment, perhaps even a 'virtual' marking of his card but we all want to see where we are going next year under this regime! 

5 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

I doubt there will be even one person will call for his head even if we lose the SC - there will be disappointment, perhaps even a 'virtual' marking of his card but we all want to see where we are going next year under this regime! 

You're having a laugh!

We lose a meaningless game and this place goes into meltdown.

8 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

I'm pretty sure that when we have a bad run we will have a bunch of posters who knew from his very first game that it would 'end up like this'.

We are going to have a tough time keeping hold of Warbs if he continues to maintain the form he has displayed to date. I actually think the key to holding on to Warbs will be in how we as a fan base react to any set backs.

I genuinely believe if he was to commit to a 5 year plan- he would have every opportunity to become a Managerial Great. It would also allow him time to head South thereafter should he feel so disposed. 

Heading South for Warbs offers no guarantees- It is a path littered with failures- personally I think a win in the 2nd Tier of Scottish Football will not give him a great starting point with any new Fan base- one poor season and it could all be over. My worry is that we have an ability to over pressurise players and managers in our desire to see Rangers win. We need to give him and the squad time next season- it will be a tough year- yes I want us to win it- but by the same token I also want us to continue our overall Club/ Squad rebuilding- and would rather not see the longer term vision compromised for the sake of one season. 

15 minutes ago, NamibianBear said:

You're having a laugh!

We lose a meaningless game and this place goes into meltdown.

But no one has 'called for his head' and none will even if we lose ( imho(