Possible European football

With the possibility of European football next season. Will it be more of a distraction and hinderance in our first year back in the premiership in terms of challenging for the title?

i love European nights at Ibrox but in my opinion the  schedule might affect our ambitions of winning the league at the  first time of asking. Especially if we are in the back of beyond in the first qualifiers.

Possibly mate but if our Dave invests and we recruit well and bulk the squad up then I don't see why we can't fight on both fronts although I'd rather we had no distractions in our first season back but at the same time we can't knock back European football that's where we want to be playing 

Am 50/50 on Europe at this moment, lots people talking on here like cup final is won and we really need to watch that, we don't have a team for Europe at moment and even with new players in am still not sure we would go far. It's time for King to show his hand if we want to go far in Europe 

It would be the best distraction in the world.

It's lunacy to even think about not wanting Euro football.  We have been half a decade without it.    We are Rangers, we can fight on all fronts.

6 minutes ago, gogzy said:

It would be the best distraction in the world.

It's lunacy to even think about not wanting Euro football.  We have been half a decade without it.    We are Rangers, we can fight on all fronts.

Totally agree, and we don't need reminding that some European campaigns last no more than two matches.

I was in Marseille in 93, and although the disappointment in not beating CSKA Moscow ( and the cheats beating Bruges) and failing to get to the final was crushing, what happened 3 months later, against Levski Sofia was devastating.

We need European football. 

There are too many plus factors regarding European football to be concerned about any possible but uncertain negatives.  If we win this cup and qualify for Europe then immediately the manager knows there is going to be more money in next years coffers and he has a more attractive package to offer Summer recruits.

Some of them and I'm thinking of the young goalkeeper Daniel Bentley we have been linked with as an example who will receive offers from various sources in England may be swayed in our direction because it can only do him good to have European credentials on his CV.

Extra money in the millions almost goes without saying and rather than being a distraction it may actually be a benefit if the squad can get regular matches against European opposition a grade above the typical SPL opposition.  Nobody in their right mind given the choice would turn down Europe.  It's even what all the mega rich EPL clubs are scrambling for and dreaming of.  Why wouldn't we? 

We need to concentrate our energy one game at a time. 

This arrogance that we have is all well and good, when we're winning the top league in Scotland, and getting to the Champions League group stages, regularly. However we are not there yet, and we have had some right, tight games with hibs over the past season, so much so, that it is never a sure thing that we will win.

I do believe that the wide open spaces, that Hampden will offer us, suits us much more than them. However, talking of Europe, next season, is too premature, as we've lost games to teams a lot worse than hibs.

If we beat hibs, which we should do, we'll have months to discuss all about Europe..

Maybe we see different things in it.  I see this.

4 hours ago, Stranraer No7 said:

Will it be more of a distraction and hinderance in our first year back in the premiership in terms of challenging for the title?

And that's what I respond to, the presumption as did the majority of people who responded.

I hope we can beat Hibs.  Euro football will mean more investment, better players, more excitement for the fans next season.  I think our style of football would do well in Europe and you never know, maybe we could reach the group stages.

6 hours ago, Poetry_In_Blue said:

End of the day it will be European football or that stupid group stage in the new format for the league cup, I personally would rather have European football.

And still be in Europe after Xmas unlike some other Scottish teams for the last few years!

100% this. Fuck playing in the stupid group stage format of the LC 

IF we beat the Spoonburners, and let's not count our chickens, European football will be fantastic. We will get more cash if in Europe than we would winning BOTH domestic cups.

We should be competitive on all fronts but Imo if we get into the Europa league, we should concentrate on a good European run and winning the title. Rotate the squad in cup games. 55 and a nice wee run in the EL would be more beneficial than a domestic treble but bombing out of Europe in the qualifiers.