Farewell Boleyn.

upton park and white hart lane will be two grounds badly missed in the footballing world, atmosphere, intimidation and at times fantastic football

however, for all the talk in that video, im sure ive seen reports that west ham have already sold out their ST capacity for the olympic stadium and still have a waiting list after that, so its clearly beneficial to them

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

upton park and white hart lane will be two grounds badly missed in the footballing world, atmosphere, intimidation and at times fantastic football

however, for all the talk in that video, im sure ive seen reports that west ham have already sold out their ST capacity for the olympic stadium and still have a waiting list after that, so its clearly beneficial to them

52,000 according to the chairman on Twitter he said the other day

3 hours ago, gazza27 said:

52,000 according to the chairman on Twitter he said the other day

3 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

thats impressive for a first season in the new ground, helped obviously by this season performances, bilic has them playing well most times

I think most of the season ticket prices were being sold at similar prices to the Boleyn . I know they were advertising ST's for £299 for an adult and £99 for kids , which is outstanding value for EPL compared to the other London clubs . The Olympic stadium won't be a patch on the old stadium for atmosphere though .

23 minutes ago, Fred H Crawford said:

I think most of the season ticket prices were being sold at similar prices to the Boleyn . I know they were advertising ST's for £299 for an adult and £99 for kids , which is outstanding value for EPL compared to the other London clubs . The Olympic stadium won't be a patch on the old stadium for atmosphere though .

even better then, no doubt the price will rise over the next few years, but for next season thats a cracking price from west ham

4 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

even better then, no doubt the price will rise over the next few years, but for next season thats a cracking price from west ham

No doubt the price will go up , Sullivan ,Gold & Brady don't seem the type who would rather see a full ground than a full bank book . If Bilic can keep the momentum going on the park and maybe get into the top 4 , then I suppose the crowds could be sustained but if West Ham revert to being a bit of a yo-yo club then I would imagine the crowds would fall off . Financially the move is a no brainer but IMO the club will lose a big part of what makes them .

1 hour ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Funded by the tax payer though, a sham of a deal. Just like Manchester and Glasgow with the commonwealth games

Olympic Stadium: West Ham sell out over 50,000 season tickets for next season

West Ham have sold all of their season tickets for next season, when they move to the Olympic Stadium in east London.

The club says it will have more than 50,000 season ticket holders at the 60,000-capacity stadium, which was used at the London 2012 Olympics.

The Hammers are leaving the 35,000-capacity Boleyn Ground, more commonly known as Upton Park.

The final match at the stadium, against Manchester United, takes place on Tuesday evening.

West Ham vice-chairman Karren Brady said: "[We] have always believed in the West Ham fanbase and knew we could fill the new stadium.

"Having made the bold decision to move to the former Olympic Stadium, we are delighted to see how it has captured the imagination of the Hammers fanbase."

Last month, it was confirmed that West Ham would pay £2.5m a season in rent, with the London Legacy Development Corporation also covering the running costs for the stadium.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36245311

13 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Olympic Stadium: West Ham sell out over 50,000 season tickets for next season

West Ham have sold all of their season tickets for next season, when they move to the Olympic Stadium in east London.

The club says it will have more than 50,000 season ticket holders at the 60,000-capacity stadium, which was used at the London 2012 Olympics.

The Hammers are leaving the 35,000-capacity Boleyn Ground, more commonly known as Upton Park.

The final match at the stadium, against Manchester United, takes place on Tuesday evening.

West Ham vice-chairman Karren Brady said: "[We] have always believed in the West Ham fanbase and knew we could fill the new stadium.

"Having made the bold decision to move to the former Olympic Stadium, we are delighted to see how it has captured the imagination of the Hammers fanbase."

Last month, it was confirmed that West Ham would pay £2.5m a season in rent, with the London Legacy Development Corporation also covering the running costs for the stadium.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36245311

They'll be sad they're leaving the Boleyn but that's a great amount of season tickets sold. I was thinking the new ground would be full of tourists like Old Trafford and the Emtpyhad.

2 minutes ago, BF2 said:

They'll be sad their leaving the Boleyn but that's a great amount of season tickets sold. I was thinking the new ground would be full of tourists like Old Trafford and the Emtpyhad.

It's an impressive cash haul especially so when you look at how much or in this case I would say how little they pay to be there.

I'd move too if I was next to a nunnery.

In all seriousness it is a huge loss to football. I know a lot of bears that travel down to see west ham when were not playing and it feels like the soul is being ripped out of the place.

Although, I do think people will continue to support the traders as there seems to be a good community spirit down there.

Farewell Boleyn.

33F6AB9100000578-3581723-image-a-22_1462

Looking at that maybe also an indication of how an individual as poisonous as Ashley can through sheer greed and gross neglect reduce a club to a station it should never be in.

Newcastle: They have assembled a squad to satisfy a balance sheet, not a team sheet. 'Sell-on value' is the remit of chief scout Graham Carr but his annual soccer-market sweep of the continental aisle has left them with faulty produce.

French flops Remy Cabella and Florian Thauvin arrived at a combined cost of £24million yet both are now on loan at Marseille. They forgot to build a team and instead have a bunch of misfits, who are invariably not good enough or don't want to be there.

Ashley has robbed the club of its soul over nine years and has used it as an advertising vehicle for his sports retail company, all the while treating supporters — and players such as cancer survivor Jonas Gutierrez — with utter contempt.

Relegation has been due for the best part of three seasons, they were just too arrogant to notice. The appointment of Benitez has come far too late, and they will surely now pay the price.

Will be there tonight, as I follow West Ham and Rangers. Have to say I have a strange feeling today. It feels a bit like a funeral and a celebration rolled into one, which in itself is a very strange concept to get my head around. Reports are stating that there will be hundreds of ex-players there, video screens, fireworks and more - That is if people stay off the pitch, which I don't think will happen completely. I just want to soak in as much as I can with my old man who was born and bred in the area and was the reason I started watching the Hammers as a kid -I know it will be tough for him tonight. I feel like I am saying goodbye to a relative (Yeah, I must sound like a soppy f**ker by now :)) and i can't say I am happy about leaving Upton Park but money dictates how clubs compete and I have to say, I also have a huge sense of sadness for all the local businesses that will suffer due to the move to the Olympic stadium. R.I.P to the ground that to many had become a second home and shaped us growing up as youngsters on the terraces. 

1 hour ago, talesfromtheriverbank said:

Will be there tonight, as I follow West Ham and Rangers. Have to say I have a strange feeling today. It feels a bit like a funeral and a celebration rolled into one, which in itself is a very strange concept to get my head around. Reports are stating that there will be hundreds of ex-players there, video screens, fireworks and more - That is if people stay off the pitch, which I don't think will happen completely. I just want to soak in as much as I can with my old man who was born and bred in the area and was the reason I started watching the Hammers as a kid -I know it will be tough for him tonight. I feel like I am saying goodbye to a relative (Yeah, I must sound like a soppy f**ker by now :)) and i can't say I am happy about leaving Upton Park but money dictates how clubs compete and I have to say, I also have a huge sense of sadness for all the local businesses that will suffer due to the move to the Olympic stadium. R.I.P to the ground that to many had become a second home and shaped us growing up as youngsters on the terraces. 

Saw David Gold on the telly last night and he said there is over a hundred ex players and managers there tonight,

Also David Sullivan made quite a good point, that even though it will be sad to leave the ground it's a bit like Triggers brush the whole ground as pretty much been rebuilt, and if memory serves me correct, they moved it slightly when they bought the school next door.

13 minutes ago, mus said:

Saw David Gold on the telly last night and he said there is over a hundred ex players and managers there tonight,

Also David Sullivan made quite a good point, that even though it will be sad to leave the ground it's a bit like Triggers brush the whole ground as pretty much been rebuilt, and if memory serves me correct, they moved it slightly when they bought the school next door.

To some small extent I see what he is saying but it's also the immediate vicinity that will be missed. The pubs, places to eat, Green Street, fanzines, Tube Station, the flats that overlook the ground and the general feel of the current ground - That cannot be replaced and that I think that is also what most of us will miss.

I first went to the Boleyn in 1982 and was lucky to attend quite a few games there in the next few years , atmosphere was always good even for games against the likes of Notts county . In the North Bank they had big warning signs saying " Remember Ibrox , take care leaving the stadium " . I was fortunate enough to go back last season , and although it's now all seated the atmosphere was still really good for a run of the mill EPL game . The walk from the train station to the ground added to the sense of community support for the club , and that could be a big miss for the regulars , as West Ham are a club who have always relied on the local community for the bulk of their support , which has been fairly consistent no matter how the team has been playing .

1 minute ago, Fred H Crawford said:

I first went to the Boleyn in 1982 and was lucky to attend quite a few games there in the next few years , atmosphere was always good even for games against the likes of Notts county . In the North Bank they had big warning signs saying " Remember Ibrox , take care leaving the stadium " . I was fortunate enough to go back last season , and although it's now all seated the atmosphere was still really good for a run of the mill EPL game . The walk from the train station to the ground added to the sense of community support for the club , and that could be a big miss for the regulars , as West Ham are a club who have always relied on the local community for the bulk of their support , which has been fairly consistent no matter how the team has been playing .

Spot on mate! :541:

11 minutes ago, talesfromtheriverbank said:

To some small extent I see what he is saying but it's also the immediate vicinity that will be missed. The pubs, places to eat, Green Street, fanzines, Tube Station, the flats that overlook the ground and the general feel of the current ground - That cannot be replaced and that I think that is also what most of us will miss.

TRTRB you are completely right, and I don't think Westfield are ready for the people coming through their shopping centre on a match day, the Cow pub will be chaos!!

Hopefully some fans will still go round to the upton park area on match day, as the local shops pubs etc will lose a fortune in revenue, which will be a shame

2 minutes ago, talesfromtheriverbank said:

Spot on mate! :541:

I'm going to London in june and thought I might catch one of the stadium tours , but they finish the day we arrive  :disappointment:  I still might take my son and grandson down to the ground as I think the shop will still be open . I've never been to stratford , but can't see the experience coming close to the old ground , especially once the novelty wears off . Will need to check if I need to re-register to get tickets for a game next season to give the Olympic a try . Enjoy the game tonight mate , doing some damage to uniteds top 4 chances will be a fitting farewell .

3 minutes ago, Fred H Crawford said:

I'm going to London in june and thought I might catch one of the stadium tours , but they finish the day we arrive  :disappointment:  I still might take my son and grandson down to the ground as I think the shop will still be open . I've never been to stratford , but can't see the experience coming close to the old ground , especially once the novelty wears off . Will need to check if I need to re-register to get tickets for a game next season to give the Olympic a try . Enjoy the game tonight mate , doing some damage to uniteds top 4 chances will be a fitting farewell .

Cheers mate and hope you manage to get down and see a game. Hopefully three points tonight - That would be very nice.

12 minutes ago, mus said:

TRTRB you are completely right, and I don't think Westfield are ready for the people coming through their shopping centre on a match day, the Cow pub will be chaos!!

Hopefully some fans will still go round to the upton park area on match day, as the local shops pubs etc will lose a fortune in revenue, which will be a shame

I think a fair few will still go to the places that they have used over the years as strong bonds and friendships have been built and that is one thing corporate money cannot buy. 

1 minute ago, talesfromtheriverbank said:

Cheers mate and hope you manage to get down and see a game. Hopefully three points tonight - That would be very nice.

Soak it all in tonight mate , I'm sure it will be a very emotional night . I took my son to the ground last season and I'm glad that he got to experience something special , and he can always say that he got to the Boleyn . Stadiums in the heart of their community are sadly disappearing and tonight makes me glad that no matter how bad things have been the last 5 years , leaving Ibrox was never an option .