Farewell Boleyn.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Moody Blue Legend said:

Visited years ago when we were down playing in a football tournament.  Great wee ground at the time.  Got a tour and a few autographs.  Managed to get Trevor Brooking and Alan Devonshire who were two top players at the time.

Brilliant.

Always 'liked' West Ham, couldn't call myself a fan, but still fairly gutted I never made it to a game at Upton Park. 

My mate was up there today, the Tuesday night  last game ever at Upton Park/Boleyn Ground v Man United are selling for 1000's so he made do with the 2nd last game, even these tickets were 300 quid plus.

I like West Ham because they feel like they still have the soul that football used to have. Alot of that probably comes from the ground they play in and the fanbase they draw from. 

I'm very worried one of the last vestiges of soul in top flight English football is about to be lost.

:power_of_anguish:

11 minutes ago, Inigo said:

I like West Ham because they feel like they still have the soul that football used to have. Alot of that probably comes from the ground they play in and the fanbase they draw from. 

I'm very worried one of the last vestiges of soul in English football is about to be lost.

:power_of_anguish:

English Premier League soon to be called Major Premier League?

I have a friend who is a Hammer, doesn't like leaving and sees it all as a money spinner.

Could never imagine leaving Ibrox, but it doesn't seem to be a big deal to the likes of Man City, Arsenal, etc.

It's definitely an emotive subject and I can just imagine the screams of protest if Rangers were to even consider abandoning Ibrox.  To me in some ways that really would be almost like being a new club.  It takes generations to build a true affinity with a ground.

1 hour ago, SuperPapac05 said:

Still think leaving is a terrible move. Upton Park is a fantastic intimidating stadium with the right capacity and they're giving that up for what will be a soulless vacuum. It'll be like us trading Ibrox for Hampden. :power_of_anguish:

Won't ever be their "home"

Must be a big wrench for the fans to be leaving their home, a proper football ground with so many memories, I remember it was called the "Academy of Football" back in the days of Ron Greenwood and players like Moore, Peters and Hurst.

I wonder if the fans wish London had never been awarded the 2012 Olympics now. I know it would break my heart if Rangers ever left  Ibrox.

I feel so sorry for the fans that it will never ever be the same

It just makes Ibrox so much a special place and so lucky we have improved yet reduced the capacity for safety not for revenue when seeing others moving forgetting about history and their soul - thats their fans

18 hours ago, A.T.G said:

Never realised that the ground was in reference to Anne Boleyn who I admire and respect a great deal. Will watch later

Cheers @ben51

I always thought it was named that cause they play a lot of boleyn there too. Ten-pin.

11 hours ago, harlands plater said:

Must be a big wrench for the fans to be leaving their home, a proper football ground with so many memories, I remember it was called the "Academy of Football" back in the days of Ron Greenwood and players like Moore, Peters and Hurst.

I wonder if the fans wish London had never been awarded the 2012 Olympics now. I know it would break my heart if Rangers ever left  Ibrox.

I used to go there a lot during their second "Academy" period at the turn of the century, when 'Arry was the manager and they had a tremendous pool of youths come through. It started with Lampard and Ferdinand, then Cole and Carrick. Defoe made just a couple of handfuls of starts before being lured away. With the likes of Di Canio, Kanoute, Wanchope, Sinclair and Kitson in there, I was having trouble remembering why they never really amounted to anything but then I remembered their defensive side............Lomas, Dailly, Potts, Julian Dicks, Shaka Hislop...Oh lord!

Lovely ground though. Generated a lot of noise, even when only partially full.

It's a great wee ground in the East of London - really historic feel to it and you can sense the working class surroundings. Being turned into housing :anguish:. 

They're moving to a soulless stadium but clearly just moving for financial reasons. The deal they managed to strike for that stadium is downright disgusting for every single taxpayer and opposition fan in the country.