Great article about us on the bbc website

25 years ago, there was the classic title shoot out at Ibrox between us and Aberdeen. Hard to believe it was a quarter of a century ago.

I came up for the match with my mate, Wee Tommy got us tickets, somehow.

We were in the West Enclosure. I remember the Top Deck was being constructed at that time, and Ibrox was in a very transitionary phase.

We were neck and neck with Aberdeen, who had clawed back a 7 point deficit to sit on top of the table with 10 games to go. Our prior match to this was away to Motherwell, where a win would have seen us all but crowned champions....the 3:0 defeat was a tough one to swallow, as Aberdeen came to Ibrox only needing a draw to win the league. 

I had forgotten that Souness had only just left us.

During the match, at 0:0, I remember turning to  Andy and saying something like "Who the fuck signed Hateley?"......and seconds later he scored.

Fantastic day that was.

The writer of this article is Richard Wilson...everything I have read from him regarding us has been extremely fair. Top Journalist. :clap:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36263204

12 minutes ago, 40delboy40 said:

yeah, remember that last few games after souness walked. Think I recall Sandy Robertson scoring a winner away to St.Mirren in Walter's first game in charge.

Yes we struggled that day,  then collapsed at fir Park, but to a man the team were outstanding against sheep on last day 

13 minutes ago, Gaffbear said:

I remember it well..pretty sure it was a lovely day too ...did hans  gillhous no miss a sitter to go ahead that day...25 years ???

Think it was this guy 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_van_de_Ven

Remember him put clean through at 0-0 and missed. I was in the CRF. Cracking perfect day.

Sure Bomber was scurrying around with an Achilles injury, breaking the pain barrier and our left back Tam Cowan played on with a fractured or broken leg as we had no more subs.

Watt in goal was terrorised by big Hateley and Mark Walters showed why he was the best two footed player I have seen by launching a terrific cross in with his left leg for Big H to batter home with the head! ?

Amazing day, ended up in a ballot on the bus for ticket - and i got it for the East Enclosure - Didn't know the boy well that lost out on the ticket, but don't think he ever spoke to me again. Motherwell the week before was murder at the time, but made the win so much sweeter 

Best game of my life as a Bear. I was only 12 going on 13, but it was great. I remember the mental celebrations when we scored. 

We weren't the favourites for the title, and we were threadbare, but the 9 in a row courage came through. Ended up with a back line of Stevens, Spackman, Hurlock and Nisbet, and Johnston in midfield ffs! 

Possibly the best header I've ever seen at Ibrox, and one of the best I've seen full stop. Hateley truly was a fearsome striker. They don't make them like that any more.

1 hour ago, Helicopter Sundae said:

25 years ago, there was the classic title shoot out at Ibrox between us and Aberdeen. Hard to believe it was a quarter of a century ago.

I came up for the match with my mate, Wee Tommy got us tickets, somehow.

We were in the West Enclosure. I remember the Top Deck was being constructed at that time, and Ibrox was in a very transitionary phase.

We were neck and neck with Aberdeen, who had clawed back a 7 point deficit to sit on top of the table with 10 games to go. Our prior match to this was away to Motherwell, where a win would have seen us all but crowned champions....the 3:0 defeat was a tough one to swallow, as Aberdeen came to Ibrox only needing a draw to win the league. 

I had forgotten that Souness had only just left us.

During the match, at 0:0, I remember turning to  Andy and saying something like "Who the fuck signed Hateley?"......and seconds later he scored.

Fantastic day that was.

The writer of this article is Richard Wilson...everything I have read from him regarding us has been extremely fair. Top Journalist. :clap:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36263204

Helicopter mate .I get what your saying but I have a feeling this rancid organisation will want a piece of the pie next season .

Fully expect them, NEVER to say sorry and crawl to us .What I think they will do .They will use Richard to write some positive spin stories to curry favour with us .

All the while ,the wolves will getting ready to pounce next season .Count on it

19 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Best game of my life as a Bear. I was only 12 going on 13, but it was great. I remember the mental celebrations when we scored. 

We weren't the favourites for the title, and we were threadbare, but the 9 in a row courage came through. Ended up with a back line of Stevens, Spackman, Hurlock and Nisbet, and Johnston in midfield ffs! 

Possibly the best header I've ever seen at Ibrox, and one of the best I've seen full stop. Hateley truly was a fearsome striker. They don't make them like that any more.

Jesus mate .Didn't think you were that young :D .It's certainly up there in my top 10 games ever .

Has to be No 1 for nervous atmosphere bordering on hysteria though .

Truly shitting myself leading up to this game and before we scored .

I was gutted losing at Firpark week before and thought we had blown it .

To be honest ,they should have been 0-2 up before we scored .

What an ending though .One of the best days of my life watching the Rangers

34 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

Jesus mate .Didn't think you were that young :D .It's certainly up there in my top 10 games ever .

Has to be No 1 for nervous atmosphere bordering on hysteria though .

Truly shitting myself leading up to this game and before we scored .

I was gutted losing at Firpark week before and thought we had blown it .

To be honest ,they should have been 0-2 up before we scored .

What an ending though .One of the best days of my life watching the Rangers

First game 16th August 1986 as an 8 year old mate. :)

Good Aberdeen team that as well. Back in the days when they were full of Scottish internationals (Robertson, McLeish, McKimmie, Bett), some really good standard pros that'd be in the Championship these days (Connor, Grant, Mason, Irvine) and a smattering of good Dutch players (Gilhaus, Snelders, Van De Ven, Van Der Ark). I mean, they had a current Dutch international in the team. How times have changed.

39 minutes ago, Inigo said:

First game 16th August 1986 as an 8 year old mate. :)

Good Aberdeen team that as well. Back in the days when they were full of Scottish internationals (Robertson, McLeish, McKimmie, Bett), some really good standard pros that'd be in the Championship these days (Connor, Grant, Mason, Irvine) and a smattering of good Dutch players (Gilhaus, Snelders, Van De Ven, Van Der Ark). I mean, they had a current Dutch international in the team. How times have changed.

Makes you realise how much Aberdeen benefitted from Rangers revolution of 86 .Their team then were excellent and they had to stay competitive due to our strength .Think since then they have only ever once at Ibrox .Amazing as at one point in the eightees ,they would regularly thump us at Ibrox .All seems like yesterday to me .Maybe that's why I keep banging on to bears about enjoying every moment 

Easily one of my best days as a bear and even now the thought of the sheep winning the league at Ibrox makes me feel sick. Was as nervous as I'd ever been in the week leading up to the game but six pints soon calmed them.The atmosphere that day was as good as I've ever experienced and Hateleys header was an unbelievable moment which brought an explosion of joy and relief hard to top. The wheels had come off prior to that game when we saw Souness leave,points dropped and a sheep team put an unbelievable run together which NEARLY surpassed any league victory previous. Jim Bett was one of my favourites and the thought of him winning the league for the sheep at Ibrox was unthinkable for me so the outcome will forever live in my memory. We had the battle fever on that day big time and that match was also the catalyst for Hateleys brilliant career at Ibrox. The long hard season took it's toll and we were dropping like flies with Mo Johnston dropping to midfield and Terry Hurloch at left back while John Brown and others battled on through injury .Topped the day off with the full squad in the Edmiston club,a curry,BBC highlights of game over and over and one of the most contented sleeps ever,happy days.