Our Midfield and Forwards Next Year

Given what we have already, how would you line up for next year? Who gets dropped to the bench?
With the options of Halliday, Holt, Crooks, Rossiter, Law* and Shiels*, and to a lesser extent Jordan Thomson and Murdoch(most likely loaned out again) in the midfield, with McKay, Miller, Waghorn, O'Halloran, Forrester, Windass, Clark*, Hardie(loan?) vying for positions in the front 3. List of endless possibilities.  

* Those whom's contracts are expiring. 

7 minutes ago, AlBear85 said:

We'll make more signings before preseason, so pointless doing this now.

I agree. Such a question can only be a bit of fun. Plus, we have no idea how good our new signings actually are. Im assuming Rossiter is probably a level or two above Windass and Crooks. These latter two really are coming from a low standard of league. It's the law of averages that one of them will disappoint us and one will impress, but until we see them in action we have no real idea.

6 minutes ago, JockyWilsonspants said:

I agree. Such a question can only be a bit of fun. Plus, we have no idea how good our new signings actually are. Im assuming Rossiter is probably a level or two above Windass and Crooks. These latter two really are coming from a low standard of league. It's the law of averages that one of them will disappoint us and one will impress, but until we see them in action we have no real idea.

Crooks and Windass have played significantly more first team football than Rossiter. With Crooks injured it's likely Rossiter will start preferred DM, with IMO Holt and Halliday as it stands. But people need to remember Jordan is just a 19 year old starting out in the professional game.

I fear people are going down the exact same route with Rossiter they did when we signed Zelalem and putting so much expectation on a young player just because of what premier league academy he came from.

4 minutes ago, AlBear85 said:

Crooks and Windass have played significantly more first team football than Rossiter. With Crooks injured it's likely Rossiter will start preferred DM, with IMO Holt and Halliday as it stands. But people need to remember Jordan is just a 19 year old starting out in the professional game.

I fear people are going down the exact same route with Rossiter they did when we signed Zelalem and putting so much expectation on a young player just because of what premier league academy he came from.

Fair enough, I dont disagree. I wasnt attempting to big up Rossiter. To be honest I wasn't wanting to be too negative about all our recent signings so I kinda tried to take Rossiter out of the equation. We really have no idea at all about how good any of the 3 new lads are.  Sure, im hopeful, but ive seen enough players turn out to be shite that I refuse to get my hopes up. If the majority of new signings are better than the players we now have then I'd call them a success. Any more than that from them is a bonus.

A few comments about Holt and Halliday not being starters next season, i would think that as they are in the team at the moment and have done nothing to warrent being dropped they will be the starters and the chance to prove they deserve to stay in it, just like the new boys will need to earn a place.

Thats just the way the gaffer comes across as working to me.

25 minutes ago, Ferris Bueller said:

A few comments about Holt and Halliday not being starters next season, i would think that as they are in the team at the moment and have done nothing to warrent being dropped

Didn't Andy Halliday make mistakes against Hibs and Alloa towards the end of the league season that cost us goals in those games?

I can see Crooks being the preferred CDM with Rossiter playing in cup games to ease him in for his first season. Crooks Rossiter Holt Windass Halliday and 1 more experienced CM all getting their chances. 1 striker 1 central defender and a defender that can cover both full backs and I think we will be OK till January.

14 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

Didn't Andy Halliday make mistakes against Hibs and Alloa towards the end of the league season that cost us goals in those games?

Halliday went from having game of his life V celtic to 3 very poor performances after it. But he gets away with it.

52 minutes ago, AlBear85 said:

Rossiter isn't coming here to sit on the bench, seemingly on 10k a week, crooks and windass will be about half that. Our 1st competitive game, he'll be starting

16 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

Wasn't the hibs and alloa games in a won league ? 

The former being 2 days after the Old Firm? 

1 minute ago, daverfc13 said:

Rossiter isn't coming here to sit on the bench, seemingly on 10k a week, crooks and windass will be about half that. Our 1st competitive game, he'll be starting

Cool. People talking about wages again without having an actual clue.