Butcher urges Rangers long-term deal for Warburton

JFK-1

Terry Butcher has told Rangers to offer manager Mark Warburton a long-term contract after insisting: "The best is yet to come".

Former Rangers defender Butcher has been hugely impressed by the job done by his fellow Englishman since he took over at Ibrox last summer.

Warburton has guided the club back to the Ladbrokes Premiership and can wrap up a trophy treble if he follows up last month's Petrofac Training Cup win with another victory in the William Hill Scottish Cup on Saturday.

Rangers take on another of Butcher's old sides Hibernian but the former England captain believes there will be plenty more showcase occasions to come under Warburton.

However, he fears that Warburton - who has two years to run on his existing Rangers contract - could be prised away by an English club.

His name was recently included on a short-list of names Everton are rumoured to be considering as they seek a replacement for Roberto Martinez.

Butcher told Press Association Sport: "Mark has done a terrific job. He's been a very steadying influence.

"He just gets on with his job well, there are no histrionics. It's very similar to the way Walter Smith used to get on with it when he was in charge. Pragmatic and strong.

"Can I see him returning to England? Eventually, but when you can have success at Rangers why would you want to go anywhere else?

"It's a great club and I think they will want to get him tied down. The best is yet to come.

"If they can get the right players signed up, which will be Mark's next step to make sure they are ready for the Premiership, then who knows how far they can go?

"They should now be looking to tie him down on a new contract so they can start thinking longer term. When did Rangers last have a five-year plan?

"They are now in a great position to go and do just that, so why not go ahead?"

Butcher was speaking at a William Hill media event ahead of the Hampden clash between his two former clubs.

Alan Stubbs succeeded Butcher after Hibernian's relegation in 2014 and the former Ipswich player believes he could lead the club to Scottish Cup glory.

"Alan came in and has had to learn very quickly," Butcher said.

"Last season was a big learning curve for him and his team and he's done well.

"He upsets people sometimes with his comments but that's probably a good sign. You are not there to be liked, you're there to be a winner.

"They have beaten five Premiership teams across the two cups, so they can handle the big games.

"Rangers have also shown they can do that and the competition between the two clubs has been fierce, so the cup final has the makings of a great game as both teams want to get the ball down and pass it."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/14494044.Terry_Butcher_urges_Rangers_to_offer_long_term_deal_to_Mark_Warburton/?ref=mr&lp=19

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Praises MW for having no histrionics and then praises stubbs for upsetting people with his comments. doh

I highly doubt the board aren't interested in tying MW down.

I'm getting a bit bored of the hysteria over his contract and other clubs 'interest' though. I'm convinced he is a man of honour and he'll be here another two years at least. After that let's see where we are and if he wants to stay fantastic, if he wants a new challenge then he goes with our best wishes and we move on smarter and wiser for his input.

Makes perfect sense in terms of letting MW know how much we want him to remain and giving him a sense of job security but, make no mistake, these management contracts have been shown in the past to not be worth the paper they're written on! If the right job comes up with the right terms offered, managers and clubs always find a way to conclude deals. 

However, MW could be a different kettle of fish...you get the feeling that if he committed to a 5 year extension he would honour it! I say, if we can, get it done?!!

Terry Butcher can fuck right off. What does he know about Rangers (or Hivs for that matter - . Stubbs has done really well???) Maybe Butcher is just a nob desperate to get his name in the papers again.

Then again maybe the SFA don't have much to choose from in getting some 'big' names to chat about the Cup Final.

Excusing anything to do with questionable comments from Butcher, i think we all want MW to be here for the long term, i've never been this excited about things at Rangers, we're onto a very good thing with this management team and we're getting a lot of well deserved praise for it.

The best is yet to come.

22 minutes ago, King Jela said:

Stuck the boot in when we were at our lowest, singing our praises while we're on the rise. One two faced twat if there ever was one. 

Spot on.Won't forget his comments in his book about the club and Super Cooper! King Richard,his eventual replacement, was superior in my view. 

2 hours ago, K.A.I said:

Butcher is a fucking wanker he's no better than the 2012 rhats. Couldn't care less about anything he says.

An expected comment from you. I have no doubt you are a true bear KAI but you are far too negative for me. There is no doubt Butcher speaks his mind at times and that's why he is no longer employed with us but he was a great servant and would give his right arm to coach us now. Like many who leave, he loves our club and always will. I will remember him for the good times.

1 hour ago, bluenoz said:

An expected comment from you. I have no doubt you are a true bear KAI but you are far too negative for me. There is no doubt Butcher speaks his mind at times and that's why he is no longer employed with us but he was a great servant and would give his right arm to coach us now. Like many who leave, he loves our club and always will. I will remember him for the good times.

Why not quote the comments before me then? am I not allowed my say? you should read more of my posts if you think I am negative - the people who say that to me tend to only read what they want to read.

You have whatever opinion you want on Butcher ... you don't see me calling you cringey wee super-fan with a short memory when it comes to Butcher, do you?. It's not about Butcher speaking his mind - do you not remember his ice cream and jelly carry-on in 2012 with us? should be unforgivable to any fan with half a brain and ounce of passion but you charge on.

Ah Terry Butcher. Good player but like many when they hang up the boots continually kick us when we were down in the hunt for pals in the media or a few quid. Goaded the fans to fuck that night ICT beat us 3-0 when we really were at one of our lowest points. 

Although one good thing he has done after his playing career was relegate Hibs. 

1 hour ago, Prso's headband said:

Ah Terry Butcher. Good player but like many when they hang up the boots continually kick us when we were down in the hunt for pals in the media or a few quid. Goaded the fans to fuck that night ICT beat us 3-0 when we really were at one of our lowest points. 

Although one good thing he has done after his playing career was relegate Hibs. 

Cant forget helicopter Sunday either 

Going by previous Old Firm managers, English clubs only take notice if they do something noteable like get into the CL last 16 or similar. Domestic honours is not a yardstick to them since they regard the Scottish league as a mickey mouse duopoly.

RM is one fucked up forum. Only on here can a guy who gave us great moments ( Butcher) be slated as a prick, wanker etc etc. Yet on another thread we are falling over ourselves in praise of a fucking total cunt, taig loving prick of a man ( Barton). Only on this forum!

22 minutes ago, Chineseboy said:

RM is one fucked up forum. Only on here can a guy who gave us great moments ( Butcher) be slated as a prick, wanker etc etc. Yet on another thread we are falling over ourselves in praise of a fucking total cunt, taig loving prick of a man ( Barton). Only on this forum!

The problem most people will have is that he was an ex player and he stuck the boot in, that's why most ex players get a hard time.

37 minutes ago, Chineseboy said:

Only a former captain like butcher wouldn't back the club when we were battling UEFA ... he burned all his bridges with us when he made that decision 

1 hour ago, Chineseboy said:

You're a bit of a masochist, aren't you ?