SNP MSPs back anti-sectarian football law amid calls to scrap it

oldbear

Taken from the Evening Times............please read last 2 paragraphs/quotes carefully   

Labour and the other opposition parties have been challenged to come forward with proposals if they think they can improve the controversial anti-sectarian law on behaviour at football matches.

Glasgow SNP MSPs have defended the law and said to abolish it would send out a message that sectarianism is acceptable.

James Kelly, Glasgow Labour MSP, has said he will bring forward a bill to scrap the Offensive Behaviour at Football Act and is meeting parliament officials this week for discussions.

READ MORE: Tories to lead opposition to Offensive Behaviour at Football Act

He argues the law no longer has majority support in Parliament as the Tories, Greens and LibDems also want to see the act scrapped.

Mr Kelly said: “No other party supported the law but the SNP used their majority to bulldoze it through anyway.

“The SNP are now a minority government and that means Parliament can repeal the SNP Football Act.”

However, James Dornan SNP Cathcart MSP, said the act was necessary and was helping to tackle sectarianism in a wider sense.

Mr Dornan said: “The record shows it’s already working. The number of sectarian offences has dropped steadily (28% drop) in the couple of years since it’s been put in place.

“A very important part of this was the message it sends out, that we take combating sectarianism very, very seriously here in Scotland.”

READ MORE: Rangers fans cleared as sheriff criticises ‘flawed’ sectarianism law

He told the BBC: “I’d be more than happy, I’ve no doubts the government would be more than happy, if the opposition parties were getting together to put forward some amendments to strengthen it if they think it needs strengthened.

“What I do not believe is this knee jerk reaction that they seem to be thrashing around looking for something to beat the government with, instead of combatting the problem we have with sectarianism in this country and I think that’s pretty disappointing.”

John Mason said a majority of the public and football fans including Celtic and Rangers fans backed the Act and to scrap it was sending the wrong signal about religious and racial prejudice.

He said: “People want sectarianism dealt with.

“If this act was repealed what we are saying is sectarianism is acceptable, anti-Catholicism is acceptable and anti-Irish racism is acceptable. As far as I’m concerned none of these are acceptable.”

“If they want to improve it let’s talk about it.”

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, oldbear said:

If this act was repealed what we are saying is sectarianism is acceptable, anti-Catholicism is acceptable and anti-Irish racism is acceptable. As far as I’m concerned none of these are acceptable.

Buuuuut anti-proddie is? and anti-British is? 

The SNP on their god damn power trip, surely someone with a bit of sense would think "if everyone is opposing this, then maybe it is flawed". The law itself poorly implement and as many have said poorly defined. 

When no-one has been done under the law, it means they've fucked up. There already is laws that can be applied to hooligans, such as Breach of the peace, assault or vandalism. 

Who is this fuckwit John Mason? Just call the law the anti-catholic, anti-irish bill, get it out in the open and let the world see what a bunch of cretins are running this country.

Every football fan is sick to death of being treated like a fucking criminal for following their team.

Wankers.

James Dornan is a fucking walloper. Feel a  bit sad for saying that as my family know him well - and Stewart McDonald, our MP - but that comment there just reeks of shite.

Sectarianism doesn't exist in Scotland. People are going to dislike each other in relation to football, are they honestly trying to say if there wasn't such a thing as religion then there wouldn't be any violence in Scotland at all? absolute fucking jobsworth's the lot of them.

1 hour ago, Courtyard Bear said:

And there you have it folks straight from the horses arses mouth, sectarianism is anti catholic anti Irish only. 

Who votes for these idiots. 

@Bluepeter9 @DeanMK @Andy2020 @Boab @Bellshill_Bear these cretins.

I may have got the username of Andy wrong, or correct. There's one that posts with a similar name.

“If this act was repealed what we are saying is sectarianism is acceptable, anti-Catholicism is acceptable and anti-Irish racism is acceptable. As far as I’m concerned none of these are acceptable.”

“If they want to improve it let’s talk about it.”

We don't need this clown to tell us what we already know that this law is to protect the shite named above.

If he wants to get rid of sectarianism then shut all the faith schools and send all the irish gypo's back to the republic seeing they don't want to be part of this great nation.

No surprises there. 

The answer is simple - do not vote for the SNP, as their decisions and policies appear to be based on their belief that Scotland is still some historical Gaelic/Braveheart heartland where they fight for "our right to be independent".

Bear in mind, that the SNP claim to represent all of Scotland - but in reality they really only want to represent those who support them, and have no interest in anyone else who does not buy into their ultimate (and only) aim, which is to break up the UK...

This piece of legislation does nothing to tackle the real issues that the country faces.

Political rant over.......back to the football.

It likes the word "acceptable". There are Daleks with more extensive vocabularies, and these fucks run my country?

I blame their schooling.