Who is good enough for next season?

Amac9

Realistically who is good enough to hold down a regular starting place next season? We are up against better opposition every week and the filth will spend money and improve.

We have a lot of decent squad players but we need to improve. We could do with another keeper, a new defence bar Wallace, some decent midfielders and a few new strikers.

Get rid of the deadwood and get some good quality in otherwise we will struggle next year.

Only Wallace, McKay (maybe), Waghorn are nailed on starters with Miller playing a part for next year. Don't think we can rely on Holt, Halliday, Wilson, Tavernier, Kiernan as regulars.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Holt,Miller,Wallace and Waghorn. Halliday perhaps but it depends on who we bring in. I might add Wilson along with Hallidays requirements.The rest who are under contract are kept as squad players.

We need a minimum of 5 brought in who will be automatic starts.

There is a lot of them who are good enough for next season, but those those have been on the fringes who will be going will need to be replaced by better, or as good as those who are staying; especially if those who stay are to improve. Holt and Halliday cannot be our only experienced quality midfielders, but neither is it ideal if they are  our best options either. We need to recruit well in midfield, which will be easier said than done.

Guest Lloyd72
Just now, Rangers_no1 said:

Those four in my opinion are the only players guaranteed to start majority of games next season. I know it's unpopular on here but I still have doubts on Waghorn producing consistently next season. His performances in the bigger games this season haven't been good enough for me. 

Waghorn isn't the player we need that's gonna drag us through important games 1-0 he hides when things aren't going his way imo

1 minute ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Those four in my opinion are the only players guaranteed to start majority of games next season. I know it's unpopular on here but I still have doubts on Waghorn producing consistently next season. His performances in the bigger games this season haven't been good enough for me. 

Such as? The biggest game of the season imo (Hibs in december) he was our best player.

think the likes of holt and halliday can play a part, just not every single part they are fit and available for

today looked like a sunday amateur squad of 14 that simply ran out of steam, we were getting by at the start of the season due to fitness and freshness, some like tav, kiernan, shiels etc arent good enough, however our ethos, or gameplan and our fitness levels got us through

however today our bang average players were running on fumes, and it showed as we dont have battlers, hibs do and when you are a fighter you summon that last push, that one last ounce of strength to find something from somewhere to get you across the finishing line

so imo warburton has 2 options

1) change his methods, rely more on fighters and battlers, they may not be a proper team, they may not be the best, but they will fight until not just the final whistle, but until the ref is actually in his house post match having his fucking dinner (think walters teams, we had a couple of flair players, but the rest were fucking grafters)

2) he builds a 25 man squad of "players" and rotates them on a constant basis, keep them fresh

19 minutes ago, Amac9 said:

Realistically who is good enough to hold down a regular starting place next season? We are up against better opposition every week and the filth will spend money and improve.

We have a lot of decent squad players but we need to improve. We could do with another keeper, a new defence bar Wallace, some decent midfielders and a few new strikers.

Get rid of the deadwood and get some good quality in otherwise we will struggle next year.

Only Wallace, McKay (maybe), Waghorn are nailed on starters with Miller playing a part for next year. Don't think we can rely on Holt, Halliday, Wilson, Tavernier, Kiernan as regulars.

Think you are pretty much spot on with that.

Just now, sandyinroyalblue said:

Dominic Ball was a big miss today because you can't play a 4 at the back with two full backs pushing on without a decent holding midfielder in front of them.

Defensively we're short but middle to front we're not too far away.

Fair assesment.

9 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

There is a lot of them who are good enough for next season, but those those have been on the fringes who will be going will need to be replaced by better, or as good as those who are staying; especially if those who stay are to improve. Holt and Halliday cannot be our only experienced quality midfielders, but neither is it ideal if they are  our best options either. We need to recruit well in midfield, which will be easier said than done.

You are obviously havin a giraffe?

1 minute ago, AlBear85 said:

What are we basing this on; the whole season, just the games we didn't win or just today?

Whole season for me. Our defence has been shite from the start. Four defenders who cannot defend corners. Lost 5 sloppy goals in SC semi and final.