Enough is enough

I suppose having written about the dehumanisation of our support for the last 20 years yesterday’s events at Hampden should have come as no surprise to me. But they did, and then some.  As our bus made its way back home from Hampden we listened to Stuart Cosgrove on the radio. It was something of a masterclass in defending the indefensible. I would urge every Rangers fan to listen to it on the BBC website – it will give you valuable insight into exactly what we are up against as a club and support.

Despite co-presenter Tam Cowan’s obvious disgust at what had just been witnessed at Hampden Cosgrove attempted to minimise every aspect of what had transpired, repeatedly telling both fellow presenters and listeners not to become “morally over reactive”. When Chic Young gave a live update confirming the disgraceful scenes Cosgrove went into whataboutery mode asking Young if he had invaded Wembley in 1977. It was pointed out to Cosgrove that those doing so back in 77 didn’t assault players or engage in violence. But to no avail.

We have now had “over exuberance” “celebrations” and this preposterous nonsense from Gerry Hassan:

“Seriously: can you tell if these are assaults? Or aggressive, stupid, OTT behaviour? Not good either way but diff.”

The aforementioned from Hassan was in response to ITN Reporter Peter Adam Smith on Twitter providing both eye witness testimony and mobile phone footage of the assaults on Rangers players.

Such scenes and testimony of course do not fit with a poisonous narrative which has been festering for far too many years now in Scotland – neither Rangers nor their supporters are allowed to be victims. While the world was rightly engaged in an outpouring of sympathy for the Hillsborough victims following the verdict of unlawful killing, Rangers staff were cleaning off graffiti from the stadium surrounds as the deaths of our 66 absent friends was mocked.

The invasion at the end of the match by Hibs fans caught no one by surprise - except for Police Scotland – its utterly farcical that this organisation claims to pride itself on “intelligence led Policing” Let’s be honest, having won the cup for the first time in 114 years who would deny the long suffering Hibs fans an element of over exuberance and a little dance on the hallowed turf? But over exuberance is not running the length of the pitch to the opposition fans end and challenging them to fight, as I witnessed. Nor is it assaulting players and staff from the opposition team.

Photographs, videos, neutral credible eye witness accounts and yet still it appears to take a standard of evidence over and above beyond reasonable doubt to convince some of what transpired yesterday. Can you imagine what the narrative would be today had such a record of events not been so readily available?

It would be a serious oversight to look at yesterday’s events in isolation as they were only a manifestation of the much wider problem of bigotry and hatred towards our club. How many of those committing criminal acts against Rangers players and staff were spurred on by a hatred of the “Klan”, “the underclass” or the “Huns” – terms used by journalists or presenters apparently with impunity. It was not only those on the pitch yesterday who should hang their heads in shame.

Having been the whipping boys for so long in Scottish football it seems we have now progressed to becoming the punchbag. What will be the next stage? Perhaps the columnists who continually urge Rangers fans to forgive, forget and move on would do well to address their remarks to others.

The powerful statement yesterday by the club shows that the narrative has to change.  

Quite simply – Enough is enough

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

take a bloody bow Dart'.   As always you sum it up perfectly,  not enough swearing for my liking. :lol:

It would be a serious oversight to look at yesterday’s events in isolation as they were only a manifestation of the much wider problem of bigotry and hatred towards our club

This part is 100% spot on.    It's disgusting how its seen as Ok to attack us verbally, an dnow it seems it's fine to attack us physically as well.

Bang on the money Dart,

Switched between BBC and Sky coverage of the aftermath, BBC were in full denial mode even when the Hibs fans were still on the pitch.

The biggest disgrace of the day was letting Hibs lift the trophy.

Our players were attacked on the pitch in 2016. We have had coins and lighters but this has crossed the line.

There is picture of the SNP Police still filming an empty Rangers end whilst the Hibs fans run riot behind them.

9 minutes ago, GWR1979 said:

There is picture of the SNP Police still filming an empty Rangers end whilst the Hibs fans run riot behind them.

At least people were safe from big bad Rangers' songs, a few Rangers players attacked by thugs is a small price to pay for that blessing.......

14 minutes ago, gogzy said:

take a bloody bow Dart'.   As always you sum it up perfectly,  not enough swearing for my liking. :lol:

This part is 100% spot on.    It's disgusting how its seen as Ok to attack us verbally, an dnow it seems it's fine to attack us physically as well.

If we ever needed more evidence that we are truly hated in this country that was it.

As others have said, remember the outcry when lennon was jumped at tynecastle? Compare that to us, enough said.

Can Nicola and the SNP be taken to task for infringing every Rangers supporter human rights by the laws they pass about football singing, while applauding the success of some Irish catholic immigrants, even though it was a disgraceful afternoon for Scotland and Scottish Football.

For far too long the SNP have used Ireland as an example of how to gain independence. It used to be much less violent version in this country, but as the Irish catholic has gained power and position, the violence of anything non-Catholic gets attacked with almost impunity.

5 minutes ago, Dutchy said:

Can Nicola and the SNP be taken to task for infringing every Rangers supporter human rights by the laws they pass about football singing, while applauding the success of some Irish catholic immigrants, even though it was a disgraceful afternoon for Scotland and Scottish Football.

For far too long the SNP have used Ireland as an example of how to gain independence. It used to be much less violent version in this country, but as the Irish catholic has gained power and position, the violence of anything non-Catholic gets attacked with almost impunity.

The same Nicola who tweeted her congratulations to hibs? 

I think that answers that.

9 minutes ago, TheBluebells said:

The same Nicola who tweeted her congratulations to hibs? 

I think that answers that.

That surely just strengthens the case against her and her mini Ireland supporting party.

5 hours ago, gogzy said:

Believe you me Gogz - it took considerable discipline !!

Great again D'art (tu)

Said in another thread that the board better nail these cunts to a wall or they have lost me.

They are the heads of this family. If my old fella had sat idly by and done nothing having watched me or my brothers, cousins, nephews or nieces being assaulted and only offered a few words in response then that relationship would rightly be fractured forever.

You can keep your 50 million Dave, we actually don't need it. What we do need is your leadership in the fight against our dehumanisation. It's now or never.

Excellent D'art. Superb. I'm sure there are a fair number of Ulster bears on here who can testify that if we (the club) let this sort of thing slide, it is just the thin end of the wedge.

Unionists and Loyalists in NI have had to put up with this sort of dehumanising, toxic and completely fabricated narrative building for over 20 years- we are often labelled as "the klan" the "underclass" or "fleggers". Portrayed as being stupid, behind the times, violent, repressive, reactionary etc etc etc. 

It is the kind of drip, drip, drip effect that ensures that when our community is subject to violent attack, the compliant media downplay it, ignore it or otherwise attempt to diminish it. It's the kind of thing that means a sizable section of the Nationalist/republican minority feel free to go out under cover of darkness, vandalising Orange halls and burning churches, somehow believing that they are "freedom fighters" or some such bellicose nonsense. Sadly, Loyalists and Unionists have been slow to challenge this bigotted narrative. Thus opening ourselves up to further, and evermore violent, attack.

I don't consider it particularly useful to compare everything that happens in wider British society to our own unique political situation here in Ulster, but in this instance I feel the comparison apt. No doubt some of those who denigrate, dehumanise and demonise the Rangers support are the very same people who have done the very same thing to the pro-Union people of Ulster. 

The agenda is the same, as are the tactics. We (Rangers) need to meet this head on. We have to challenge it at every opportunity. If we don't do it now, immediately, it will be too late. It has already gone far too far. As a first step, I would humbly suggest that every last person on RM start by emailing or writing to the SFA, BBC, DR, Police Scotland etc and DEMANDING action. No more debating this amongst ourselves. No more "dignified silence". No more pretending that it isn't happening. We MUST start to fight back and fight back hard. 

I only hope that it is not already too late.

only thing is, i just dont see us being strong enough in the boardroom to take this further, we might hear soundbites from rangers in the future but it will be empty words

we need actual fan lead action here, ive stayed out of the new club1872 stuff etc, but if we have a combined fan group kicking about them im afraid to say this will be their fight and i hope they will stand up

if anybody ever wanted to unite the rangers fanbase in one go this is the time, kings side, ashleys camp, whatever, each and every one of us will be utterly disgusted and raging at yesterday, and we would unite and fight like the fanbase hasnt done for decades

IMO your best piece of work ever D'art. Bang on the money.

This is a Scottish Football anti-Rangers hatefest which has been nurtured by those that beat the Sporting Integrity drum hardest.

Q. Following yesterday's thuggery, is this an opportunity for Rangers fans to highlight this to the rest of the UK and if so, how? 

Brilliant point,well made. First post here guys, been a season ticket holder for ten years and have been a more passive fan. Usually just look at the comments on here but fuck me what i saw yesterday shocked me.

The bile and hatred thats come out from the media (the bbc in particular) is a disgrace. Immediately trying to blame our fans for those junkie fucks invading the pitch and assaulting our players,fans and staff? Just seen a match report on the bbc's website that says the scenes were disgraceful but... rangers fans were singing Billy Boys! All ive seen from the media up here is them trying to make us the bad ones again and ive fucking had it. 

There was the talk about the anti sectarian bill the other day there where that msp cunt said that anti catholic and anti irish behaviour was unacceptable. I just went aye ok but after yesterday ive realised theres a bigger agenda against our club. Fuck knows what we do but we need to do something as supporters. Any ideas what we can do as fans? Would it matter if we lobbied the sfa?

Hitting hivs with a stadium ban or a ban from european football will hurt them in the pocket as they will lose out on prize money and tv revenue. 

I knew we were disliked but i never realised the hatred ran that deep,they're even glorifying and excusing what their fans did. 

Sorry for the rant boys,thats it off the chest

6 hours ago, D'Artagnan said:

I suppose having written about the dehumanisation of our support for the last 20 years yesterday’s events at Hampden should have come as no surprise to me. But they did, and then some.  As our bus made its way back home from Hampden we listened to Stuart Cosgrove on the radio. It was something of a masterclass in defending the indefensible. I would urge every Rangers fan to listen to it on the BBC website – it will give you valuable insight into exactly what we are up against as a club and support.

Despite co-presenter Tam Cowan’s obvious disgust at what had just been witnessed at Hampden Cosgrove attempted to minimise every aspect of what had transpired, repeatedly telling both fellow presenters and listeners not to become “morally over reactive”. When Chic Young gave a live update confirming the disgraceful scenes Cosgrove went into whataboutery mode asking Young if he had invaded Wembley in 1977. It was pointed out to Cosgrove that those doing so back in 77 didn’t assault players or engage in violence. But to no avail.

We have now had “over exuberance” “celebrations” and this preposterous nonsense from Gerry Hassan:

“Seriously: can you tell if these are assaults? Or aggressive, stupid, OTT behaviour? Not good either way but diff.”

The aforementioned from Hassan was in response to ITN Reporter Peter Adam Smith on Twitter providing both eye witness testimony and mobile phone footage of the assaults on Rangers players.

Such scenes and testimony of course do not fit with a poisonous narrative which has been festering for far too many years now in Scotland – neither Rangers nor their supporters are allowed to be victims. While the world was rightly engaged in an outpouring of sympathy for the Hillsborough victims following the verdict of unlawful killing, Rangers staff were cleaning off graffiti from the stadium surrounds as the deaths of our 66 absent friends was mocked.

The invasion at the end of the match by Hibs fans caught no one by surprise - except for Police Scotland – its utterly farcical that this organisation claims to pride itself on “intelligence led Policing” Let’s be honest, having won the cup for the first time in 114 years who would deny the long suffering Hibs fans an element of over exuberance and a little dance on the hallowed turf? But over exuberance is not running the length of the pitch to the opposition fans end and challenging them to fight, as I witnessed. Nor is it assaulting players and staff from the opposition team.

Photographs, videos, neutral credible eye witness accounts and yet still it appears to take a standard of evidence over and above beyond reasonable doubt to convince some of what transpired yesterday. Can you imagine what the narrative would be today had such a record of events not been so readily available?

It would be a serious oversight to look at yesterday’s events in isolation as they were only a manifestation of the much wider problem of bigotry and hatred towards our club. How many of those committing criminal acts against Rangers players and staff were spurred on by a hatred of the “Klan”, “the underclass” or the “Huns” – terms used by journalists or presenters apparently with impunity. It was not only those on the pitch yesterday who should hang their heads in shame.

Having been the whipping boys for so long in Scottish football it seems we have now progressed to becoming the punchbag. What will be the next stage? Perhaps the columnists who continually urge Rangers fans to forgive, forget and move on would do well to address their remarks to others.

The powerful statement yesterday by the club shows that the narrative has to change.  

Quite simply – Enough is enough

Well penned yet again.

I look into my crystal ball and I can see that this is never going to end due to the dark forces that lurk behind the wanton thuggery of yesterday.  As football fans we can all be fickle at the best of times and rivalry can over step the mark, but yesterday, the hatred came to the fore from a rival as players and staff were assaulted and the damage could have been very easily much worse. 

Those dark forces I elude to, lie at the very heart of our government, creating the climate of bigotry levelled against us, in appeasing the agenda of hatred from our enemies for nothing more than to secure their vote to remain in power and only WE stand in their way of that everlasting power and independence.

Yesterday was not an incitement to riot, it was a riot and lives were clearly put at risk and If that had been us perping those crimes yesterday I am in no doubt there would have been immediate calls for us to be closed down and the footballing authorities would have been only too happy to oblidge their master's desire in Edinburgh.

I fully expect this to be played down and little in the way of punishment to be handed to the perp's in footballing terms as the SFA try to duck their responsibility. I can also envisage police scotland to go out their way to arrest as many of our support as they, just to very publicly balance the books, to make sure there is equal blame at our door. 

I do hope as a club, that we do not lessen our resolve in this and we call it as it is and we carry through to ensure justice is seen to be done. Anything less and we become part of the problem and we will deserve all that befalls us in future and we would then be a club not worth supporting.  If that same justice is not seen to be done, then I advocate that we simply walk away, because there is no integrity in participating in a rigged contest, where lives are put at risk and our club and fans are only a figure of hate and the punchbag to deflect from a corrupt sport and a corrupt government.

Enough is enough indeed!