Rangers medal presentation

This is how the Rangers players were presented with their medals yesterday..............

from Derek Johnstone

Also, the disrespect shown to the Rangers players is staggering. Someone came down with all the medals, didn’t even go in the dressing room, and handed them to Ryan Hardie to give to the players. That is an absolute disgrace.

There was no way they could go back out due to the safety concerns, but there should have been a bit more respect shown.

The medals should still have been presented, not just handed to a young lad. It was pathetic and the SFA have to look at themselves.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Vercingetorix said:

This is how the Rangers players were presented with their medals yesterday..............

from Derek Johnstone

Also, the disrespect shown to the Rangers players is staggering. Someone came down with all the medals, didn’t even go in the dressing room, and handed them to Ryan Hardie to give to the players. That is an absolute disgrace.

There was no way they could go back out due to the safety concerns, but there should have been a bit more respect shown.

The medals should still have been presented, not just handed to a young lad. It was pathetic and the SFA have to look at themselves.

If true that is fucking scandalous.

Here is the whole article

Derek Johnstone: Hibernian, the Police and the SFA should be ashamed after Hampden riots that brought back memories of 1980

22nd May 2016 Evening TimesRangers

via Evening Times |

AS I watched the disgraceful scenes unfold at Hampden on Saturday as Hibernian fans invaded the pitch and Rangers players were attacked, I couldn’t help but think of the 1980 Old Firm Scottish Cup Final.

I played in that game and it was frightening. It was a day nobody in Scottish football will ever forget. Saturday was an ugly end to the final and the repercussions for Hibernian could, and should, be severe.

We can all appreciate that it has been a long time since Hibs won the Scottish Cup and they were under a lot of pressure. It is understandable that the fans were delighted when they won the game.

But you just cannot, ever, behave in that manner. You can’t have thousands upon thousands of supporters running onto the pitch and heading for the opposite end of Hampden.

In 1980, we got off the park very quickly thankfully. When you have thousands coming on the pitch, there is very little that stewards can do. But the police should have had a tougher hand on it.

Watching the scenes on Saturday, it brought it all back for me to that day 36 years ago. It is a situation no player should ever be put in and I am sure the Rangers players will be shaken by the experience.

I could see it happening and I knew I had to get off the park. The fans were getting involved with each other and it turned really nasty.

On Saturday, there were a few Rangers fans that were out the stands and that didn’t help matters. But you have got to take your hat off to the majority who stayed in their seats. If more of them had got involved, we would have had a full-scale riot.

When it happened in 1980, I was off the park quickly. I was never the fastest runner, but I wasn’t hanging about that day.

When you see two sets of fans running on the park, you are off straight away. It was absolutely frightening, as it would have been for Mark Warburton’s side at the weekend.

I find it incredible that it got to the stage that it did. The police must have known that, if there was a win for Hibs, something like that was going to happen.

That is why they had the officers on horses outside, just in the chance that anything happened. So I am amazed that it was allowed to escalate into the trouble that it did.

The police have to have a look at themselves. These are the worst scenes we have had for a while, and we hoped we would never see it again after the 1980 game. But, here we are drawn back to that era again.

All the stewards are doing is standing in a line behind the goal. If you have got thousands of people coming over the wall at the same time, what are you supposed to do? I think the police were slow to react and that was a problem.

You have to ensure the safety of the players, but the Rangers players never even got a chance to get off the park because the fans were coming from both sides and behind the goal so they couldn’t reach the tunnel.

There were very few police in that area. Whether they were taken aback or not, I don’t know. But they certainly made mistakes.

Fans shouldn’t be on the pitch, but it is different if they are at their end and are celebrating. When they start assaulting and abusing players and goading opposition supporters then that is a completely different matter altogether.

It is a worry, a real worry, for Scottish football. Nobody is talking about Hibs’ win, which they deserved, but the headlines are all about the scenes at Hampden.

The SFA have to sit down with Police Scotland and determine where it all went wrong. It is a sad state of affairs when you can’t ensure the safety of players. It is a worry.

I do have some sympathy for the Hibs fans who only went to Hampden to see their team winning and then stayed in the stand at the final whistle. Everyone will get tarred with the same brush, but not every supporter at Hampden was goading Rangers fans on the park or assaulting players.

There were plenty that were just happy to see their side win the cup and wanted to celebrate. They couldn’t do that because of the actions of their fellow fans.

We don’t put them in the same bracket as those who stormed the pitch. But the idiots have to be highlighted and dealt with here.

I was absolutely disgusted with the comments of Rod Petrie after the game as well. He should be hauled up for the way he handled it.

It was a load of utter nonsense. I am not surprised he didn’t have a real go at his own fans because he is under enough pressure from them already, but what he said was an absolute disgrace.

For someone in his position, I thought it was a shocking way to handle a very serious situation.

When your fans are attacking players and abusing them, they have to be dealt with. The SFA have to come down hard on Hibs.

They have waited a long time to win the cup and they were worthy winners, but you can’t have fans doing that. It was absolutely ridiculous and it is a huge test for the SFA now.

When it happened at Fir Park, it took months and months for anything to be done and Motherwell got a slap on the wrist. So, what do we do now?

Did the Hibs fans think ‘well, they were allowed on the pitch so we will have a bit of that as well’? They have taken chunks out of the pitch and broken the goalposts. It is just malicious damage.

It is not kids we are talking about here, either. It is grown men that are running about causing damage at the National Stadium, goading the Rangers fans and assaulting Rangers players and staff. It is completely and utterly unacceptable.

These pictures will go out all over the world, and what does it say about Scottish football? It is one thing being on a pitch and being excited after winning a cup.

But when we are talking about players being spat on and assaulted then that is another matter entirely.

It is a real problem and something has to be done about it. It should have been a great day for Hibernian, but their fans ruined it for them.

They are not the only ones after a sad day for Scottish football.

The message from the SFA officials was clearly "there's your medal's, now just fuck off".

The ignorance crassness and disrespectfulness of that action iis mindboggling.

Even losing players deserve to have the medals handed to them personally, and with respect. What the fuck is going on with the SFA. Professional imeptitude and disrespect towards us seems to be a badge of honour with them now.

Cunts should have to resign for that action alone, never mind the shambolic disorganisation that ensued at the final whistle which the SFA are directly responsible for too, and they were also directly responsible for failing to deal with it properly too. 

You wonder how clowns like Reagan and Doncaster come in to these 5 figure jobs.  They have a shocking lack of talent for the jobs they are appointed to do.  It's a farce.

Hampden should be bulldozed.  I went from watching smackheads from leith tear up that dump of a ground to something more akin to the Superbiwl at Wembley.  The juxtaposition of the 2 countries now and the showpiece games....comical.

1 minute ago, Bhudda said:

You wonder how clowns like Reagan and Doncaster come in to these 5 figure jobs.  They have a shocking lack of talent for the jobs they are appointed to do.  It's a farce.

Hampden should be bulldozed.  I went from watching smackheads from leith tear up that dump of a ground to something more akin to the Superbiwl at Wembley.  The juxtaposition of the 2 countries now and the showpiece games....comical.

6 figure jobs.

Cunts should be taken to trading standards. They are not fit for purpose. 

4 minutes ago, Bhudda said:

I am almost certain Reagan and Lawwell worked together for beer producers Coors Lawwell recommended Reagan for the job at the SFA. 

Just now, Vercingetorix said:

I am almost certain Reagan and Lawwell worked together for beer producers Coors Lawwell recommended Reagan for the job at the SFA. 

Heard that before as well.  Stitch up.

From the way our medals were "handed out" it seems to me that no matter what happened on the park the cup was going to be presented to Hibs which is an effin disgrace. It should have been handed to them in their dressing room instead of around 45 minutes after the final whistle.

3 minutes ago, Bhudda said:

Heard that before as well.  Stitch up.

Looked it up mate its true enough I will have a look into Doncaster's background I wouldn't be in the least surprised to find previous connections with Lawwell either. 

When Petrie dies, not only will I piss on his coffin - but I will be singing at the afterparty.

Do Scottish nationalists realise that by demonising Protestantism they are spitting on the face of secularism ?

Yet another slap in the face to our players and Club..(pardon the pun)..But is it that much of a shock that the cunts that are paid to run the game in scotland would treat us with anything other than contempt...Our Support Our Board Our Team are United as one and this disrespect will be dealt with accordingly..be that thru the courts or on the pitch..The Bears are no longer in hibernation..Things happen for a reason and the weekends events have begun a True Fightback against all the shite and muck that has been flung at us for nearly 20 Years..Bill Struth and Sandy Jardine would be PROUD men Today.

9 minutes ago, Vercingetorix said:

Looked it up mate its true enough I will have a look into Doncaster's background I wouldn't be in the least surprised to find previous connections with Lawwell either. 

Not sure which one, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that either Reagan or Doncaster is related to Liewell by marriage. Don't know if it's true, but it gives you an angle to look at.  

10 minutes ago, Craig/ said:

Haven't agreed a lot with DJ in the past with McCoist but here he's spot on 

For once we have came out fighting,  what pisses me off is that yesterday is just the icing on the cake of atrocities that our club had haf to endure.

2 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

For once we have came out fighting,  what pisses me off is that yesterday is just the icing on the cake of atrocities that our club had haf to endure.

Exactly, just a question what did the club say last year when Jig was hit with the flag and Motherwell fans invaded the pitch running towards Rangers fans? 

18 minutes ago, The Educator said:

Not sure which one, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that either Reagan or Doncaster is related to Liewell by marriage. Don't know if it's true, but it gives you an angle to look at.  

I know Liewell has had sexual relations with Reagan and Doncaster, but I doubt they are related.

45 minutes ago, Bhudda said:

It has gotten worse since Reagan has been in the job, we CLUB and FANS  should be calling for his head. 

13 minutes ago, cr3_bear said:

Any chance we have to get into England should be grabbed with both hands , would love the chance to fuck off out of this cesspit of a country 

My feelings exactly, this shithole doesn't deserve a great club like ours.