Shaping Up For Next Season…

Obviously we are going to be adding some players but here is what we have so far with the players joined and those who have left today.

We have a few youngsters too but not too sure who will be kept or loaned out again.

Fod, Bell

Tavernier, Wilson, Wallace, Kiernan

Holt, Barton, Halliday, Rositer,  Windass, Crooks

McKay, Forrester, Shiels

Waghorn, Miller, O’Halloran

I imagine we will be bringing in at least one of the following:

Goalkeeper

Striker

Central Defender

Right winger

Our squad has a very British core to it, really reminds me of Championship sides down south which is no surprise given who we are managed by. I think that a close squad like this will do wonders.

3 minutes ago, RFCRobertson said:

As if people weren't against us already :uk:

But it's true though, we don't really have any foreign players with the exception of Zelalem and Gostomski.

don't have zelalem or gostomski anymore!!

Right Back is the main priority imo.

Big fan of Tav going forward, he's got more than enough talent to play RW, no idea who told him he should be a Right Back.

Lost count of the goals Tav has cost us at RB.  Was partly to blame for the first and solely to blame for the 2nd in the cup final.

I don't think we can win the league with Tav costing us goals at RB, it's an important position to shore up that Right Side.  Really hope we bring in a solid RB but happy to have Tav sit in front of him at RM/RW.

18 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

Obviously we are going to be adding some players but here is what we have so far with the players joined and those who have left today.

We have a few youngsters too but not too sure who will be kept or loaned out again.

Fod, Bell

Tavernier, Wilson, Wallace, Kiernan

Holt, Barton, Halliday, Rositer,  Windass, Crooks

McKay, Forrester, Shiels

Waghorn, Miller, O’Halloran

I imagine we will be bringing in at least one of the following:

Goalkeeper

Striker

Central Defender

Right winger

Our squad has a very British core to it, really reminds me of Championship sides down south which is no surprise given who we are managed by. I think that a close squad like this will do wonders.

- I don't think Bell will be here.  I expect a new Keeper to come in and be our first choice.  Foderingham's not commanding enough at set-pieces, he makes mistakes, I just don't think he'll be good enough.

- I don't think Kiernan's good enough either.  He sat back and watched Stokes kick the ball in to our net.  No idea what the guy was thinking but it was a real eye opener for me.  I still have faith in Danny Wilson.

-  Shiels has done next to nothing for the last 4 years and I hope he'll be out on his arse. 

-  Waghorn lacks a cutting edge of me.  I know many will point out his 20+ goals this season but 11 were penalties. 

- I still think we lack a real cutting edge up front.  I'm wanting to see the manager bring us in a couple of guys who can open up defences.  I'm sure Kranjcar could do that from midfield but we need another winger.

At least 4 defenders, one for each position, is required.

Wallace needs competition but will remain our first choice left back, but the other 3 positions can be improved upon with competition to start at least required.

1 minute ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

- I don't think Bell will be here.  I expect a new Keeper to come in and be our first choice.  Foderingham's not commanding enough at set-pieces, he makes mistakes, I just don't think he'll be good enough.

- I don't think Kiernan's good enough either.  He sat back and watched Stokes kick the ball in to our net.  No idea what the guy was thinking but it was a real eye opener for me.  I still have faith in Danny Wilson.

-  Shiels has done next to nothing for the last 4 years and I hope he'll be out on his arse. 

-  Waghorn lacks a cutting edge of me.  I know many will point out his 20+ goals this season but 11 were penalties. 

- I still think we lack a real cutting edge up front.  I'm wanting to see the manager bring us in a couple of guys who can open up defences.  I'm sure Kranjcar could do that from midfield but we need another winger.

I agree about Bell/Fod.  But i don't think we'll sign a keeper.  I think Fod has done well, just gets pass marks for me, so maybe lower priority for now.

Kiernan is only 25, i think he can improve, i wouldn't be showing him the door just yet but certainly need a higher calibre of Centre Back than DW or FK if we want to win the league.

Shiels i'm sure will be away, unless he's prepared to stay for peanuts as a squad player who might occasionally make the bench.  I think if we had a couple of injuries then he's the kind of guy who could slot into the side in the games we're expected to win.

Also agree about Waghorn.  The guy is a workhorse, but not a natural finisher.  I thought he had a poor game in the cup final, i don't think playing wide suits him, he seems to do better in the middle but pulling defenders out wide.  I'd like us to sign a big bastard to have as another option.  Someone in the vein of Prso/Cousin/Jelavic, we always enjoyed having powerful guys up top, and the last 10 minutes of Saturday should be a reminder that it can also be invaluable from the point of view of defending a set piece to have a big bastard striker on.

Disagree about Krancjar, that guy is finished.  He's played about 50 games in 3 years with hardly any goals, fair amount of injuries, and plays for a pish team at a pish level.  Really hoping that isn't the type of guy we're seriously looking at.

28 minutes ago, Bhudda said:

Big fan of Tav going forward, he's got more than enough talent to play RW, no idea who told him he should be a Right Back.

Lost count of the goals Tav has cost us at RB.  Was partly to blame for the first and solely to blame for the 2nd in the cup final.

I don't think we can win the league with Tav costing us goals at RB, it's an important position to shore up that Right Side.  Really hope we bring in a solid RB but happy to have Tav sit in front of him at RM/RW.

Yep. You know more than the gaffer.

I would love to see Greg Stuart coming in. He plays our wide left or right. He is skillful with the keys to unlock defenses, he has a sweet left foot as well. He would be a far better option than Waghorn out wide if you ask me. Waghorn is strong but as the poster above alluded too, he has no cutting edge. I have doubts about O'halloran as well but maybe some more game time under his belt can prove me wrong, who knows.

A goal scorer is paramount if we are too score more than we concede. It's great times being a Rangers fan regardless. The gaffer will know better than anyone what we need. 

36 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

I keep seeing Windass as a midfielder in peoples selections. I thought he was a centre forward?

He started as a midfielder, but got pushed forward, then couldn't stop scoring. Sure he said words to that effect in an interview I read.

In a better team than AS though, might be just as effective back in MF. Either way, think he will do well for us.

Guest Lloyd72
35 minutes ago, Bhudda said:

Why do people think Tav at RW would be good? The reason he gets so many goals and assists is because of the space he has to run into from RB, with a proper DM in the team the backline will almost turn into a back 3 with our 2 CBs pushing out wide and covering the fullback positions. I'd like to judge how we fair with this before replacing the guy or moving him to what I would say is a less effective position.

5 minutes ago, Bhudda said:

I agree about Bell/Fod.  But i don't think we'll sign a keeper.  I think Fod has done well, just gets pass marks for me, so maybe lower priority for now.

Kiernan is only 25, i think he can improve, i wouldn't be showing him the door just yet but certainly need a higher calibre of Centre Back than DW or FK if we want to win the league.

Shiels i'm sure will be away, unless he's prepared to stay for peanuts as a squad player who might occasionally make the bench.  I think if we had a couple of injuries then he's the kind of guy who could slot into the side in the games we're expected to win.

Also agree about Waghorn.  The guy is a workhorse, but not a natural finisher.  I thought he had a poor game in the cup final, i don't think playing wide suits him, he seems to do better in the middle but pulling defenders out wide.  I'd like us to sign a big bastard to have as another option.  Someone in the vein of Prso/Cousin/Jelavic, we always enjoyed having powerful guys up top, and the last 10 minutes of Saturday should be a reminder that it can also be invaluable from the point of view of defending a set piece to have a big bastard striker on.

Disagree about Krancjar, that guy is finished.  He's played about 50 games in 3 years with hardly any goals, fair amount of injuries, and plays for a pish team at a pish level.  Really hoping that isn't the type of guy we're seriously looking at.

Bringing in a new keeper might depend on whether or not we can shift Bell.  If we can shift Bell then absolutely a new keeper and I hope it's Daniel Bentley who we've been linked to in the media.  Kiernan's mistake in the cup final was an absolute howler and surely at the age of 25 he shouldn't be letting guys walk straight in to the box unchallenged - It was totally fucking bizarre.  I like Waghorn as a player in terms of his strength, movement, runs, I just have concerns over his ability to score goals and create chances from open play.  I totally agree with the big striker comment.  In fact, I would say we need a striker who can do a bit of everything.  A striker who can score goals, is comfortable with the ball at his feet, works hard, can run all day, and is tall enough to help with the set-pieces.  I don't think it'll be just Kranjcar that we sign for the playmaker role.  I think it'll Kranjcar and someone else of a similar mould but young and rough around the edges.  Certainly another winger who can make things happen is needed this guy Canos looks the part so I hope there's truth in that one.

5 minutes ago, 1NachoNovo said:

He started as a midfielder, but got pushed forward, then couldn't stop scoring. Sure he said words to that effect in an interview I read.

In a better team than AS though, might be just as effective back in MF. Either way, think he will do well for us.

They play a 4-4-1-1 and Windass plays in the hole behind the striker.  Windass got 16 league goals but I think half of them were penalties. 

32 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

Pretty much my thoughts. 

Need a big powerful commanding CB to add to the spine with what looks like a strong midfield. 

All the comments of Tav moving forward are rubbish...he's a right back for us and nothing more....he's defensively weak but with an engine and the ability to provide and score he's an asset. Suits or style and with 1 or 2 more disciplined, experienced midfielders I don't think he'll be caught out as much, or at least he'll get better protection.

Agree with Wes. He's done okay but really isn't a top notch keeper. There's always a mistake around the corner. Good guy, done a job, but more of a decent no2.

I'm guessing Windass will be one of a squad of 6 for a front 3 with Wags, Miller, Barrie, Forester and MOH who hopefully comes good...his pace offers us something if used correctly, so one more....ideally a young, hungry goalscorer...easier said than done but I'm sure there's targets and if anywhere, I think that's where we might throw 1m+ at.

Then I think we'll bolster the squad with 3 loans. A creative midfielder like Pritchard would be bang on.

This windows going to be fucking Superb!!

5 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

They play a 4-4-1-1 and Windass plays in the hole behind the striker.  Windass got 16 league goals but I think half of them were penalties. 

If he plays in midfield for us, then he will probably be in the same position (pitch geography wise), as we'll be holding a high line most of the time and he'll get more chances than he got at AS. 8 from open play and 8 penalties is still a decent return for him, I think. If it wasn't, then I doubt they would have made the play off's. He obviously done a good job for them to be a stand out.

I really only see the defense now as the one remaining area which requires strengthening.  

Midfield, MW now has a solid 6 or 7 to select from

Forwards MOH, Forrester, McKay, Waghorn, Miller?? Probably need to bring a replacement for Clark and I would like Hardie to be challenging for a spot.

Defensively we have no cover for any of the current back four, not even coming through the youth ranks.  Major issue if we have someone injured or suspended, hopefully something we will see addressed sooner rather than later.