Joey Barton Interview (With Keith Jackson)

Barely been on today and couldn't see this posted. If it has please delete. Think it's a part 1 of 2 with the 2nd part coming tonight/tomorrow.

GIVEN his taste in music perhaps it should have come as no surprise.

Yes, Joey Barton may well blush at his own history of bad behaviour but yesterday, this charming man met the media upon his unveiling as a Rangers player and spoke with all the candour and sincerity of a man determined to escape once and for all from the shadow of his own darkest demons.

The Smith’s fan refers to his long list of high-profile misdemeanours as his ‘rap sheet’. He accepts too that the reputation he created for himself as part midfielder, part monster will follow him across the border to his new home.

But this, he says, is just the latest leg of his own personal journey from self confessed Neanderthal to budding politician and student of philosophy.

This rebranding of Joey Barton cannot been carried out overnight.

And yet here he was yesterday , the epitome of charm, as he carried out his meet and greet duties in disarming style, with his angelic toddler son Cassius already kitted out in a replica shirt with his name emblazoned across the back.

Soon it will be his dad’s turn to pull on a Rangers shirt and, the moment he does, he might as well have a target painted over his No.8. Before he had put pen to paper on his two year contract yesterday one bookie was already making him odds on to be sent off in his first Glasgow derby.

Barton shrugs and says: “I never got suspended last year, which everyone glosses over. I was in the PFA team of the year, the Football League team of the year, I was Burnley’s Player of the Year, won the league, went 23 games undefeated - but I never got suspended and that was the biggest achievement of them all! I understand it.

"I’ve got a rap sheet. I can’t get away from it. I can’t say ‘Oh, I’ve reinvented myself’. That’s not me.

“The reality of it is that I behaved inappropriately at times in the past as a player. You mature and get older.

“No matter what you do, people will always want to drag you back to that. I can’t waste energy on that. If I did, I would be sitting arguing with those people until I was blue in the face. I just don’t see the point.

“Some people will never, ever see the roses for the thorns. I’m not comparing myself to a rose, but you know that kind of saying.

“So I just ‘be’, I just do what I do. People who know me, have met me and have worked with me know who I am and what I’m about.

“I can’t please everybody and I don’t try to. I believe in who I am as a person and what I’m about as a footballer. In the last few years, I’ve tried to let my football do the talking.

“For a long period in my career, everything else was a sideshow that deflected from what a good player I was - and still think I am.

“I’m improving, which is great for this football club and great for me.”

And yet, if there are demons still lurking deep down inside, then no city in the world can bring them to the surface quite like Glasgow. Perhaps that’s part of the attraction for a this player who not only fell foul of the football authorities during his years in England but who also spent time at her majesty’s pleasure following an assault in Liverpool city centre.

So exactly where are those demons today?

“They’ve already been out,” he says with a rueful smile.

“When you have confronted the demons at a young age, in the spotlight of the English Premier League as I have, you’ve been to jail and all the things that go with it - if you don’t know yourself coming through that process, you’re in the wrong place.

“I wouldn’t be here now. The fact is I’ve come through it, battle-hardened, scarred - but ultimately stronger mentally and emotionally.

“Let’s be truthful about it, football is the easiest part of your life if you are happy everywhere else. It certainly is for me.

“I have a process in place where I know what I have to do to perform at my ultimate capacity at the highest level. I know it works.

“There will be naysayers, because when you are someone who has a reputation like I have, that goes with the territory.

“I make good copy at times with some of the stupid things I say which people take literally. I’m aware of what it is.

“I’ve been on Question Time, I’ve given political opinions, I’ve been outspoken. Then you come away from that thinking ‘I just want to concentrate on football’.

“I just wanted to show everyone I could do it, because all they thought I was before then was a Neanderthal who went out into the city centre, got drunk and had fights.

“I did fit that stereotype for a while. Then you come out of it and show the other spectrum of your personality and character.

“Where am I today? Somewhere in the middle. I’ve got a young family and enjoy spending time with them.

“Ultimately, I’m a man dedicated to his profession. What better place to come than Glasgow to showcase what I believe are going to be the best years of my career.

“Becoming a dad has helped, of course it has. Anyone with children will tell you that. You go from being a young footballer who is the centre of the universe, where all that matters is who you play on a Saturday and how everything affects you.

“Then this little fella comes along and you suddenly realise you’re not that important. All that’s important is stuff that’s nothing to do with you kicking a bag of air around a pitch.

“It gives you perspective and humbles you. If you don’t alter from that, then how are you going to alter?”

Someone needs to tell him and the rest of our players to have nothing to do with amateur 'journalists' who stick the boot into our club whenever it suits them, and steer clear of the comic rag that has a business partnership with Celtic. 

I like the guy more and more.  Lots of folk have fucked up at points in their life (who hasn't) its a much shorter list that admits to it, plus lets face it, whah has he actually done? Spoke shit and got into a few scraps? Jeez I used to call that Saturday.

Over and above he speaks with great respect for our club, he has made a effort to understand the club and is embracing it.  The real talking starts on the park however so far he'll do for me.

33 minutes ago, burnbank bear said:

he never stops talking and that's not a good thing up here but he can sound genuine at times 

I say shout from the rooftops Joey, say wtf you like mate...be controversial, get in these stinking hacks faces and tell them how it is (you'll learn soon enough you need to).....shake this journalistic backwater up a bit....you're just what we need up here, at Our Club, just at the right time!!!

Of course, you MUST do the business on the field...that's where your biggest battles lie!!!

I'm in no doubt you will...loving your style Mr Barton!!!

Decent article in the Burnley Express

Joey Barton feels that he chose the right time to walk away from the Clarets - to take on a new challenge with Rangers - following a fairytale year at Turf Moor.

The 33-year-old's induction in to the PFA Championship Team of the Year in addition to the Player of the Year accolade he received was a reflection of the role the midfielder played in guiding Sean Dyche's side to the title.

Joey Barton helped the Clarets do the double over rivals Blackburn

Barton, who scored three times for the club, which included the vital breakthrough against Preston North End at Deepdale, was offered a new one-year deal with Burnley and admitted that it was a tough decision to snub another shot at the Premier League.

“I’ve been in the Premier League before and [turning the chance down to play there next year] was a real tough decision for me," he said.

“You’re turning your back on a Premier League that’s going to contain [Pep] Guardiola, [Jurgen] Klopp, [Jose] Mourinho, [Antonio] Conte - a plethora of top managers and the players that will come with that.

“It wasn’t an easy decision but I just felt I had a great journey at Burnley. Everything has a beginning, middle and end and sometimes if you stay too long it ends up ruining it.

The midfielder is now seeking a new challenge in Scotland with Rangers

"I had a great year and it’s organically the right stage to get off. I’ve got a lot of friends beyond a professional experience and I’m onto the new challenge and what a challenge it is up at Rangers.”

The former Manchester City and Newcastle United man certainly endeared himself to the supporters and his team-mates at Turf Moor with a string of committed, industrious displays.

And, taking to social media, Barton showed that those feelings were reciprocated. He posted on Twitter: "Toughest decision of my professional life to leave an amazing set of people and a phenomenal culture behind.

"Thanks to all the Burnley fans and everyone connected to the club. Amazing support this year that will live with me for a lifetime."

Barton's goal at Preston brought the Clarets closer to promotion

Barton added: "Two undefeated in the derbies, 23 in the league. Champions. Not a bad way to leave. Thanks for the memories.

"Club is in a great place on and off the pitch with great custodians at the helm. Thanks again for the opportunity to represent your club.

"I was presented with an opportunity and challenge the competitive animal in me just could not turn down. Onwards and upwards now.

Barton put pen to paper on a two-year deal with the 54-time Scottish champions as Mark Warburton's side returned to the SPL following a four-year absence.

The former England cap claimed that he wanted to test himself in a different environment and realised instantly, on his arrival in Glasgow, that Ibrox was the place to do it.

“Anyone who is a football person in Britain knows the strength of this establishment and the history and tradition that goes with it – you’d have to be a fool not to know that," he said.

“I was completely mindful of everything that has gone before at this club and I understood the expectation, but it’s something I see as a really great challenge.

“There have been some incredibly gifted players who have done some great things for this football club, but also the opportunity is there to take the jersey on and take it to a new level.

“This football club is something – as everyone has seen in recent years – far more than a football club, and there aren’t many places like this left in Britain, indeed I think you could probably count them on two hands.

“The competitive animal in me recognises what a great challenge this is, what a great environment is already here, and hopefully I can come in and contribute to what has already gone on in the past and hopefully write a new chapter – and a really positive chapter – in its future."

Barton claims head of recruitment Frank McParland played a key role in his move north of the border. The Liverpudlian was the man to bring Barton to East Lancashire in the summer when he had the role of sporting director with the Clarets.

“The prime thing when you come to any football club is the people you are going to be working with on a daily basis. I obviously saw the job they did at Brentford before they came to Rangers, likewise Frank McParland who is someone who I have known for a long time.

“He was hugely influential in getting me to Burnley last season, before he left and then came to Rangers.

“We remained in contact and when I first found out there was potentially the opportunity to come here, from that moment on, my blood got pumping and I kept thinking what it could be like for me – and also what it already is."

6 hours ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Decent article in the Burnley Express

Joey Barton feels that he chose the right time to walk away from the Clarets - to take on a new challenge with Rangers - following a fairytale year at Turf Moor.

The 33-year-old's induction in to the PFA Championship Team of the Year in addition to the Player of the Year accolade he received was a reflection of the role the midfielder played in guiding Sean Dyche's side to the title.

Joey Barton helped the Clarets do the double over rivals Blackburn

Barton, who scored three times for the club, which included the vital breakthrough against Preston North End at Deepdale, was offered a new one-year deal with Burnley and admitted that it was a tough decision to snub another shot at the Premier League.

“I’ve been in the Premier League before and [turning the chance down to play there next year] was a real tough decision for me," he said.

“You’re turning your back on a Premier League that’s going to contain [Pep] Guardiola, [Jurgen] Klopp, [Jose] Mourinho, [Antonio] Conte - a plethora of top managers and the players that will come with that.

“It wasn’t an easy decision but I just felt I had a great journey at Burnley. Everything has a beginning, middle and end and sometimes if you stay too long it ends up ruining it.

The midfielder is now seeking a new challenge in Scotland with Rangers

"I had a great year and it’s organically the right stage to get off. I’ve got a lot of friends beyond a professional experience and I’m onto the new challenge and what a challenge it is up at Rangers.”

The former Manchester City and Newcastle United man certainly endeared himself to the supporters and his team-mates at Turf Moor with a string of committed, industrious displays.

And, taking to social media, Barton showed that those feelings were reciprocated. He posted on Twitter: "Toughest decision of my professional life to leave an amazing set of people and a phenomenal culture behind.

"Thanks to all the Burnley fans and everyone connected to the club. Amazing support this year that will live with me for a lifetime."

Barton's goal at Preston brought the Clarets closer to promotion

Barton added: "Two undefeated in the derbies, 23 in the league. Champions. Not a bad way to leave. Thanks for the memories.

"Club is in a great place on and off the pitch with great custodians at the helm. Thanks again for the opportunity to represent your club.

"I was presented with an opportunity and challenge the competitive animal in me just could not turn down. Onwards and upwards now.

Barton put pen to paper on a two-year deal with the 54-time Scottish champions as Mark Warburton's side returned to the SPL following a four-year absence.

The former England cap claimed that he wanted to test himself in a different environment and realised instantly, on his arrival in Glasgow, that Ibrox was the place to do it.

“Anyone who is a football person in Britain knows the strength of this establishment and the history and tradition that goes with it – you’d have to be a fool not to know that," he said.

“I was completely mindful of everything that has gone before at this club and I understood the expectation, but it’s something I see as a really great challenge.

“There have been some incredibly gifted players who have done some great things for this football club, but also the opportunity is there to take the jersey on and take it to a new level.

“This football club is something – as everyone has seen in recent years – far more than a football club, and there aren’t many places like this left in Britain, indeed I think you could probably count them on two hands.

“The competitive animal in me recognises what a great challenge this is, what a great environment is already here, and hopefully I can come in and contribute to what has already gone on in the past and hopefully write a new chapter – and a really positive chapter – in its future."

Barton claims head of recruitment Frank McParland played a key role in his move north of the border. The Liverpudlian was the man to bring Barton to East Lancashire in the summer when he had the role of sporting director with the Clarets.

“The prime thing when you come to any football club is the people you are going to be working with on a daily basis. I obviously saw the job they did at Brentford before they came to Rangers, likewise Frank McParland who is someone who I have known for a long time.

“He was hugely influential in getting me to Burnley last season, before he left and then came to Rangers.

“We remained in contact and when I first found out there was potentially the opportunity to come here, from that moment on, my blood got pumping and I kept thinking what it could be like for me – and also what it already is."

Yep, I think Joey is clued up on how the Scottish press work