The Captaincy

Gilesy

Been thinking about this since the welcome arrival of Barton.

Do we think he will be given the armband for the upcoming season, or should Wallace retain it?

I'm caught in two minds - Wallace has been superb, love the guy. But has he got the voice and the team listening to him on the park? Or would Barton be a better option? Kinda see him being more like a Ferguson type figure in the middle of the park, barking orders, getting the lads amped up if they go flat. Might need a bit more of that next season. I suppose if the team are playing well as a unit, the armband doesn't mean too much at the end of the day.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wallace absolutely must be the Rangers captain, no question. I'm looking forward to watching Barton and his influence will be massive, but the difference is Wallace has earned the captaincy through his loyalty and commitment to the club.

2 minutes ago, Big Al II said:

Wallace absolutely must be the Rangers captain, no question. I'm looking forward to watching Barton and his influence will be massive, but the difference is Wallace has earned the captaincy through his loyalty and commitment to the club.

Aye, agreed. That was my thinking. 

How about listening to MW and what he says about Wallace's influence? He's closest to the team and knows what his influence is.

1 minute ago, TheBluebells said:

What a betrayal to Wallace that would be.

Absolutely no chance, he's our captain.

I couldn't agree more. The loyalty doesn't even come into question. 

Wallace will retain the Band, he's earned it. He'll likely boss the back 4, keeping them in check.

Wes will (or should be) bossing his box come set pieces and threats. He should be pushing both teammates and opposition aside to get the ball. 

Barton will boss the midfield, making sure their all putting on sufficient pressure and watching the spaces.

Miller will boss the forwards, making them rotate to keep the threat strong. 

The team will be like a well oiled machine, no one person is the "leader". 

I've said it before, I'll say it again, Lee Wallace is already a Rangers legend in my eyes and no one deserves to lift a major trophy more than that man. 55 will have been special with our without Wallace, but I can't remember a Rangers captain deserving to lead a Rangers team to a title more than him. He stayed for the fight and will forever have the respect and support of the Rangers fans.