RFC -- old board old tricks?

thehost

1 hour ago, RFC Eagle said:

The problem is that those that stand against what the club is perceived to stand for do just that. We know that not all Catholics hate us (some love us). Its mostly those based in Scotland and aligned to republican ideals. Are you suggesting that neither Labour or the SNP couldn't find a Protestant (or even an atheist) amongst them in 40 years??? I find that very hard to believe. Its not a conspiracy its an indisputable fact. 

Until those lined up against us drop the sectarian nonsense it will never stop. What they fail to grasp is the concept of the 90 minute bigot. Football is an outlet for people and is not a root cause of some mythical sectarian problem. The truth of 'sticks and stones' was never more stark than at Hampden. Did one line of TBB inflict any harm upon anyones person rather than some faux sensibility attributed to thugs and law breakers in green and white?

I just don't see how the religion of a Glasgow council leader is even relevant. 

In a deeper context the whole issue of trying to legislate how people think and feel is an issue all over society. As a simple man I think if we keep it to the football and the club then we will be stronger. Being distracted ( by things like the religion of the Glasgow council leaders ) I think weakens that. 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Bluepeter9 said:

I just don't see how the religion of a Glasgow council leader is even relevant. 

In a deeper context the whole issue of trying to legislate how people think and feel is an issue all over society. As a simple man I think if we keep it to the football and the club then we will be stronger. Being distracted ( by things like the religion of the Glasgow council leaders ) I think weakens that. 

I was using it as a pointer to the bias that exists within the corridors of power. 

If everyone 'kept it to football' there wouldn't be an issue. They never have, remember why a certain club was set up? You cannot have some unilateral refusal to act  its what those lined against us need. As long as they continue we have to respond but in an intelligent, robust and organised way.

16 minutes ago, RFC Eagle said:

I was using it as a pointer to the bias that exists within the corridors of power. 

If everyone 'kept it to football' there wouldn't be an issue. They never have, remember why a certain club was set up? You cannot have some unilateral refusal to act  its what those lined against us need. As long as they continue we have to respond but in an intelligent, robust and organised way.

Your allowing 'them' to define 'us' by harking back to why they were formed - different times! 

Whither the board is willing to put out statements defending us or not, they should be asked not to give stories, interviews etc. to the DR etc.  All publicity should be handled from within and via the club's on media.   They should not be favoring journalists from the rags when releasing information.

4 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

Your allowing 'them' to define 'us' by harking back to why they were formed - different times! 

I don't think you get it. They won't change if we don't challenge their prejudices. Its ingrained in them. We have no option but to challenge their definition of us. 

Again you miss the point of my reference. They have held these views for over a century and are entrenched in them, we can only dig them out by challenging them. You seem to want to ignore them, weknow that doesn't work. The simplicity of your view is comendable its just not the reality of the situation. Ignorance is most definitely not bliss.

55 minutes ago, RFC Eagle said:

I don't think you get it. They won't change if we don't challenge their prejudices. Its ingrained in them. We have no option but to challenge their definition of us. 

Again you miss the point of my reference. They have held these views for over a century and are entrenched in them, we can only dig them out by challenging them. You seem to want to ignore them, weknow that doesn't work. The simplicity of your view is comendable its just not the reality of the situation. Ignorance is most definitely not bliss.

I want us to fight the right battles - protecting the club. There are no national or local political fights  nor religious fights to be had that do that! ( they may need to take on the SFA and they need to make sure the police are kept 'honest' ) but that's the extent of it The club needs to ensure that our players and fans are protected by making sure that this commission is fit for purpose and reaches the right conclusion. 

4 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

I want us to fight the right battles - protecting the club. There are no national or local political fights  nor religious fights to be had that do that! ( they may need to take on the SFA and they need to make sure the police are kept 'honest' ) but that's the extent of it The club needs to ensure that our players and fans are protected by making sure that this commission is fit for purpose and reaches the right conclusion. 

There are political fights, there are fights for equality that the club need to fight with the fans. As far as the rest of Scotland is concerned its us that are the sectarian bigots yet its not us that denigrate the memory of those who fought for our freedom.

Its a mindset that we need to fight. The club is the focus of that prejudice. Its exactly that mindset, the one thats been so apparent in the post Hampden narrative. The collective effort to minimise the role of Hivs fans in the disgraceful scenes has been ongoing. The shifting of blame by the media, police fedaration and others is not a coincidence and, as much as you don't want to see it is absolutely political.

The First Minister and her predecessor are also culpable in this attempted distortion. Made more disgraceful that the club is in the FMs constituency. She is either an incompetent or something more sinister.

Ignoring it will not make it go away.

3 hours ago, BLUEDIGNITY said:

Yup the damage is done, tell a lie . . . and the punters believe it. That's why this time the Club need to fight every lie inside and outside the ground !If they dont then the history will read that "Rangers fans were as much to blame as the hibs fans, bad losers battle with celebrating fans" ! Put the pot on for it !:sherlock:

This us exactly how I see it. I do not expect the board to comment on every news paper article, but the inside/outside situations (at Hampden) are interlinked and we need to challenge lies spouted about one as strongly as the other IMO.

4 hours ago, Bluepeter9 said:

I sort of agree with that - I just disagree with folk that it is part of a coordinate demonisation of us. 

Although it's probably not coordinated from a single source but do you honestly believe there is no general campaign amongst various individuals and groups to devalue the Rangers brand?

7 hours ago, gmcf said:

The DR article will not be brought up at the inquest , it's not what the inquest is about . 

I do agree with you that we shouldn't respond to every negative press story about us , but this one was way over the top . Quite similar in fact (  though obviously on a much smaller scale ) to The Sun's article during Hillsborough where they tried to apportion blame to the victims with a tissue of lies . 

The reality of the situation however , is that the real power lies with the fans - stop buying their papers , stop giving them hits on their website and hit them where it hurts. 

This +++++

Stop buying, stop giving hits and encourage friends and relatives to do the same.

I'd go so far as to say if you have and acquaintances in the enemy camp, point out how both sides are being played and encourage the to do likewise.

7 hours ago, Bluepeter9 said:

I just don't think it's a good tactic for the club to react to every nonsense or inflammatory story in the gutter press - they would feed of that and the club would be realeasing twice daily rebuttals . The place and time for the club to 'go to war' is with the enquiry! ( all IMHO) 

When the "story" being published and editorialised is proven to be absolute lies and its author is proven to be a bigot who uses pejorative terms to describe our club and support, I believe that the Board have a duty to protect our name by any legal means necessary. There has been a concerted attack on our club and fans in the past 4 years with the aim of dehumanising us, we know who are at the forefront of this campaign and it is they whom the Board should be taking action against.

When you allow others to dictate the agenda, when you allow others to spread lies about you, when you allow others to smear and slander you, you are conceding defeat. 

The board must be more proactive. What the DR printed (Hamilton's fairytale) was not just any old gutter press lies, it was over-the-top, carefully calculated, malicious, spiteful, politically motivated lies. The board should've said something. Even if it was only a statement informing the Record that they were no longer welcome at Ibrox.

5 hours ago, Bears r us said:

This us exactly how I see it. I do not expect the board to comment on every news paper article, but the inside/outside situations (at Hampden) are interlinked and we need to challenge lies spouted about one as strongly as the other IMO.

Picture from the Italy game earlier, we are on to a darkie, moral certainty !:sherlock:

image.jpeg

2 minutes ago, BLUEDIGNITY said:

Picture from the Italy game earlier, we are on to a darkie, moral certainty !:sherlock:

image.jpeg

Ffs, so he is in Italy with Regan looking very relaxed and jovial. Nothing bad will happen to Hibs but a slap on the wrists IMO. 

11 hours ago, BLUEDIGNITY said:

image.jpeg

This just shows you they know with this board they will do what the fuck they want.

11 hours ago, BLUEDIGNITY said:

image.jpeg

A pair of fucking chancers but hey its always been the same and always will be.Still waiting on the outcome of Ernie Walkers football think tank which had the usual suspects fucking off round the world to see how others were getting things right in world football.All at football punters expense always was a joke and always will be.

1 minute ago, Smile said:

This just shows you they know with this board they will do what the fuck they want.

It's a challenging situation (IMO) for our own board with the SPFL board elections coming up soon.

That picture illustrates why we need representation. We as fans want our board taking the fight to the authorities after the violence and vandalism by Hibs, yet we want to be elected to the board so we have a voice and can effect change from the inside.

A difficult balance to find for our board.