'Arry on Joey

iain88

Just read a wee interview with Harry Redknapp about Joey Barton and their new manager. 

This was my favourite line:

"He was as good as anybody defending corners. The amount of balls he headed out the box when I had him, he did his job in the right position that you put him in."

Thank fuck for that. Maybe concede about half as many goals next season. 

Harry Redknapp has backed Brendan Rodgers and Joey Barton to be successful after moves to Glasgow this month.

Rodgers, 43, has taken over as Celtic manager while midfielder Barton, 33, has joined newly-promoted Rangers.

"It's a great move for Brendan," said former Tottenham boss Redknapp, 69. "Joey Barton is a leader on the pitch and in the dressing room.

"It's a big pull next year with the Old Firm games again."

"Two of the biggest clubs in the world in my opinion, still," Redknapp added. "Even though they're not in the biggest league, they've still got incredible pull around the world.

"I'm looking forward to those games. They're going to be fantastic. I certainly would love to come up there at some stage and watch a game. It'd be a great atmosphere."

Redknapp and Barton worked together at QPR

Former Manchester City and Newcastle player Barton, meanwhile, has joined Championship winners Rangers on a two-year deal after helping Burnley seal promotion to the Premier League.

'Student of the game'

"I recommended him," said Redknapp, who had Barton at Queens Park Rangers. "Burnley rang me about him. [Manager] Sean Dyche called and asked me about Joey and I said I would take him.

"He'll have his mood swings and if things don't go his way, there can be aggro. But, he wants to win.

"He's a real student of the game. He'll watch a million games. He'll be all over the place watching other teams play. He's interested in football. He'll watch every game on TV.

"He doesn't hold back. He's got strong opinions on the game. He gets people going. He'll be a big voice in that dressing room.

"He's got a real good understanding of football and his role in the game. You give him a job to do and he'll do the job.

"He was as good as anybody defending corners. The amount of balls he headed out the box when I had him, he did his job in the right position that you put him in.

"He'll be a good player for Rangers, I'm sure he will. I'm sure [manager] Mark Warburton will get the best out of him."

1 minute ago, RFCRobertson said:

Rob Kiernan and Danny Wilson will likely get less shit talked about them. They'll learn a lot from Barton and he'll give them good cover.

And he'll give them hell if they fuck up. 

I really hope they aren't the 2 main CB's next season.

Just now, BridgeIsBlue said:

I really hope they aren't the 2 main CB's next season.

Kiernan will be ahead of Wilson in the pecking order. I do think another CB is needed, isn't fair putting all that pressure on them both. 

Especially since they don't get any protection for midfield and are left isolated a lot. They both need improving but Kiernan seems a brighter prospect. 

1 minute ago, RFCRobertson said:

Kiernan will be ahead of Wilson in the pecking order. I do think another CB is needed, isn't fair putting all that pressure on them both. 

Especially since they don't get any protection for midfield and are left isolated a lot. They both need improving but Kiernan seems a brighter prospect. 

Agreed.

1 minute ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Couldn't care less what Harry says tbh, I've watched Barton for years and he won't come in and stop us conceding at corners. 

Time will tell, but I've got good faith in Bartons ability and the experience he can bring to the team. 

9 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Couldn't care less what Harry says tbh, I've watched Barton for years and he won't come in and stop us conceding at corners. 

I respect Redknapp's opinion far more than some random on here.

5 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Good for you, Harry certainly wouldn't claim Bell had two solid seasons at Rangers...

Just read through your recent posts and you have literally nothing positive to say, must be an angry wee guy :lol: 

2 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Did you find my thread where you were calling Rangers fans cunts and delusional for saying we would finish in the top 3 in the SPFL? That too positive for you?!

No I decided you were a cunt before I got to that.

Just came across this the other day which gives you a better insight on Barton as a player considering there is hee haw videos on him. Will add some much needed steel to the midfield and defence, however I still think we need at least one other top quality centreback!

Wilson is a far, far better defender than Kiernan. Wilson and an experienced head next to him with Barton in front is more than enough. Kiernan won't be good enough to start in a league winning team, Wilson done it at 17 years old.

24 minutes ago, Vanoli said:

Wilson is a far, far better defender than Kiernan. Wilson and an experienced head next to him with Barton in front is more than enough. Kiernan won't be good enough to start in a league winning team, Wilson done it at 17 years old.

Kiernan was humming against Hibs, but I think he's been more consistent than Wilson over the course of the season.  Both of them need competition, however.  

Just now, SophLie said:

Kiernan was humming against Hibs, but I think he's been more consistent than Wilson over the course of the season.  Both of them need competition, however.  

Wouldn't  say so tbh. Wilson is just the easy scapegoat since he isn't the quickest and his passing is often lethargic on a bad day. As a defence we have had some good spells this season, and some bad. We peaked against Celtic, but unfortunately embarrassed ourselves afterwards, just before we rounded off the league as well we were absolutely shipping goals. For me though the bottom line is that Wilson steps up when we step up in level of opposition - he's an immensely talented defender, he reads things the rest of our defence can't even see and I include Wallace in that. When he struggles it's often been against the poorer sides and it's came from a lack of intensity in his game. That won't happen too often next year, he'll improve massively next year, Kiernan just won't.