"2 or 3 more"

OzGers

Since when did we need a new keeper? I have my doubts about Fod, but it's not a priority position, IMO. 

Our squad doesn't need nearly as much as some on here are making out. Tin hat on, but it wouldn't surprise me if we didn't sign another forward.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think we need a centre back, a right back and a goalie to push wes. I also think we need a couple of forward options. An out and out striker which would maybe allow us to play Waghorn out wide (although we know they swap positions during games so we may not see that type of striker). But with young Walsh coming back and O Halloran having a full pre season under his belt im not sure how many player we may sign to play in that area of the pitch. Definitely think we need something up front as well as strengthening the defence.

5 hours ago, Del said:

Which 4 failed to make a significant contribution?

Ball was really good for us and although Zelalem fell away at the end, he was good at the start. King scored important goals for us and if the deal was right I wouldnt mind us signing him!

Oduwa didnt make the cut but I think you are being a bit harsh on the others.

I don't think any of them made a significant contribution over the length of their whole loan.

Ball couldn't displace two donkeys at CB. Our performances started to fall away when Ball and Zelalem started being introduced into the team. People will say Ball played well against Celtic and forget the games against hibs where we lost the games and conceded 3 goals and 2 goals, a defeat and 3 against Falkirk, then losing 3 goals against QoTS. Not blaming him but he was poor and didn't do his job in the team.

Zelalem had a good 5-6 weeks while the sun was out then as the dark cold winter months appeared he disappeared. Struggled to get into the team for more than a wee run out.

Oduwa sent back early because he's too busy trying to be a show pony rather than an effective footballer.

King scored a couple but still wouldn't say effective over the spell of his loan. Can't remember anything he done the last couple of months.

I think another CB is needed.  Whether it is Dom Ball coming back on loan, a signing or a different loan player is one for MW to judge.  But it seems to me to be the case that an experienced CB with 'physicality' and a degree of pace is needed.    Would like to have known the stats on goals conceded during last season but it seemed like a fair few were from set pieces which should be better defended.  Another thing, the CBs scored very few goals from our corners / free kicks.   A new CB (or two) with a bit more height, physical presence and power might pay dividends in goal scoring opportunities - as well as giving more of an option at corner kicks than just nearly always taking short corners.

To vary the options up front I still think a strong, physical, reasonably pacey CF would be good to have.  To add to the options in breaking down Premiership defences and for the ability to put the ball into the mix when needed to force the chance of scoring a big strong CF is not something we have on the books.   I know 'A' list players are out of the question but wonder if MW and McP have been able to find an up and coming CF talent that might help to take the Premiership by storm.    

Fully agree at least one more CB is needed. Only positive i can see for the immediate future is that we will have somebody who has played comfortably in the DM role for 10 + years (barton) instead of Halliday who don't get me wrong turned in a few commendable performances in that role but often looked out of place and uncomfortable. I also cant imagine Joey going easy on the centre-backs if they fuck up. But the lack of defensive cover we have is a real cause for concern IMO.

without wanting to sound like a daft wee guy writing his letter to santa I'd like us to sign at least one cb, a young rb prospect as cover, an out and out striker, and another attacking mid/wing player to account for billy king going back to hearts. Also the more i think about it competition for Wes wouldn't be a bad idea. 

We need double that.

Our bench is one of the weakest in the SPFL, we seriously need numbers and 3/4 of them to be of a better standard than we have already.

King needs to spend and Warbs should know our feeble bench cost us the cup

16 hours ago, 1690tamRFC said:

Without much knowledge of what Windass, Crooks and Rossiter will add to our squad I honestly think the 2 or 3 others coming in better be fucking amazing or that squad won't be anywhere near challenging for 55. 

Aye because the SPL is dead pure brilliant and on a par with La Liga.

Why is it in this type of thread that nobody seems to factor in youth coming through?

I'd happily take two or three more signings if it meant some of the next generation were closer to the first team.

Just my view but I reckon this sign sign sign mentality is a bit short term. 

18 minutes ago, Cam1872 said:

Why is it in this type of thread that nobody seems to factor in youth coming through?

Because we are going for the title.....

We don't even have a decent bench plus are badly crying out for a striker....you fill those positions with youth then we are winning nothing.

16 minutes ago, Cam1872 said:

I'd happily take two or three more signings if it meant some of the next generation were closer to the first team.

Just my view but I reckon this sign sign sign mentality is a bit short term. 

Because there's none coming through that are likely to make a significant amount of appearances this coming season.

From the older youths, Hardie couldn't get a kick of a ball ahead of Clark, likely to go back on loan. Walsh might go on loan if he's not released, Murdoch the same. Thompson might be around the team but considering our midfield options maybe another loan. Crawford & Aird will likely be binned along with Sinnawhatever his name is.

The younger ones weren't deemed good enough for a seat on the bench in the last few weeks of the season so apart from Burt who might make the odd sub appearance there's nothing there either that look ready to play a good number of games.

The youth system needed a full overhaul and we probably won't see any benefit for a couple of years.

Crooks, Windass, the wee scouse guy are young/youngish and we'll be hoping they all progress/develop through the season. Holt & McKay also early 20s and will be looking to push on. There needs to be a balance and that amount is a decent number IMO.

9 hours ago, The Godfather said:

We need double that.

Our bench is one of the weakest in the SPFL, we seriously need numbers and 3/4 of them to be of a better standard than we have already.

King needs to spend and Warbs should know our feeble bench cost us the cup

Shite defending cost us the cup.

13 minutes ago, Young Bob said:

Shite defending cost us the cup.

The goal came from Clark not being able to control a simple pass but instead take a fit and fumble it out for a throw in like a prize prick.

He was a sub...our subs were complete gash.

Frightens me to see names like King and Sinnamon be genuinely considered within this thread.

If we are realistically going to get even close to winning this league we need another 3/4 the standard of Joey Barton, with a couple of loans around the same level.

The positions needed are clear... Every position.

Our squad on the top of their game are a match for anyone, against the tims we were supercharged  and every player "up for it" after that game I was wondering if we needed any players at all to win the SPL, the form after that ultimate high has been shocking and I'm thinking that 4 or 5 quality players with the correct attitude is a must.