"2 or 3 more"

OzGers

I really hope it's more in the region of 4/5 rather than 2/3. Any loans have to be night and day better than Gedion and Oduwa as well.

What worries me though is the lack of cover for our wing backs. Halliday and Thompson offer nothing in comparison to Wallace there, and we  literally have no one covering for Tav. To hope they can both play every game at our standards and to assumes they can go all season without injury 2 years in a row is borderline incompetency. 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know all signings should be 'good signings' - but the exact quote was '2 or 3 more good signings' when referring to how good a signing Joey Barton was.

Perhaps that means we'll get a few more projects - like Forrester, Windass, Crooks etc. - but 2 or 3 more guys who can walk straight into the first team like Barton?

Just another interpretation of the words. I'd definitely expect us to get loans in on top of 2 or 3 signings in any case. 

IMHO we need 4 just at the back. Two center halves and two covering full backs. OK we might get away with signing one decent central defender, one left or right sided defender who can also play in the middle, and another defender purely for cover at LB or RB. But that's still 3. 

If we don't sign at least two defenders we are leaving ourselves woefully short. 

He has also said that he wont sign players who won't have a clear route to the first team, personally I think this squad definitely needs strengthened in certain area's but not over loaded for the sake of signing 5 or 6 players. Lets not forget this team were 10 minutes away from winning what would have been an incredible treble, I agree that we could do with some competition for the centre backs. Not wholesale changes but quality upgrades for me anyway, quality over quantity :pipe:

We don't see how players do in the training regime so not only is it unfair but also a bit harsh stating that some of our youngsters can't make the step up to the first team squad so yeah MW might have stated 2 or 3 more permanent signings, those signings can be supplemented from players in the academy being promoted to the first team and also the probable loan signings that are likely to be brought in.

People have moaned on here for years that our younger players not being given a chance  well hells bells we now have a manager who might actually give them a chance.

2/3 more signings of Barton quality Imo would be enough. I mean in terms of first team we would be good to go. Warburton has always said this summer we need players of a higher quality so no doubt whoever we sign will be that. Personally I think another 2/3 permanent signings is what he means. Come September I think well have 10/11 new signings personally.

2 hours ago, Sam English Loyal said:

IMHO we need 4 just at the back. Two center halves and two covering full backs. OK we might get away with signing one decent central defender, one left or right sided defender who can also play in the middle, and another defender purely for cover at LB or RB. But that's still 3. 

If we don't sign at least two defenders we are leaving ourselves woefully short. 

I'd imagine we'll get a 'starting' CB in and a 'utility man' like a Dom Ball (or Broadfoot back in the day).

8 minutes ago, GOAT said:

We need another 5 minimum.  If we only sign two or three more we wont win the league this season.

Complete agreement with you, but then wasn't that bridge builder Murray's Grand Plan? play second fiddle to the kiddy fiddlers for two or three seasons before going all out to win?

Still don't know why that man is at Ibrox.

3 hours ago, STEPPS BOY said:

aye, 2 or 3 more defenders.

Our defence has been something of a near disaster this year. Although doing well at times, they have let us down equally badly. Some proper, tall preferably, big CH sounds ideal to me, but does MW like to go that way?

It would be nice to have a recognised striker that can get 25+ a season, but they cost money and that's what we don't have too much of atm.

Still, we do have guys scoring from all over the park and I see no reason why McKay can't get on the score sheet more. He'll have a full season behind him next year.

Playing devils advocate here, but does anyone think that given the greater level of concentration needed in the top flight that our current defence might step it up a bit?

We played 480mins of football against top flight teams last season and conceded 6 goals.

3 of them cam in the first 90mins v St. J, and we all agreed that we would learn a lot from that night. 

Given the fact we only conceded 3 times in the next 390mins against prem teams then it looked like we had learned.

Add in the fact we finally have proper defensive mid options and maybe we can start to see the gaffers thoughts on it.

As I said though, just playing devils advocate, as I too have been screaming for change at the back for a few months. :lol:

I would be happy with 3 more signings(one must be a CB) but I think as a few others have mentioned, we will bring in 3 players full time but bring in another 2-3 on loan towards the end of the window

7 minutes ago, MasterD said:

We could possibly get away with 3 permanent signings and 3 loans, but the loans must be able to make a significant contribution which the last 4 failed to do.

Which 4 failed to make a significant contribution?

Ball was really good for us and although Zelalem fell away at the end, he was good at the start. King scored important goals for us and if the deal was right I wouldnt mind us signing him!

Oduwa didnt make the cut but I think you are being a bit harsh on the others.

9 minutes ago, MasterD said:

We could possibly get away with 3 permanent signings and 3 loans, but the loans must be able to make a significant contribution which the last 4 failed to do.

I think our loan signings have every chance of being a better standard than last seasons. Persuading players (and their clubs) to come to the Championship must have been a thankless task. Then again we are talking about loans, most of them are fairly mediocre no matter what league you are playing. Very few come in and turn out to be players of the season. Assuming it's 3 more permanents and 3 loans thats a total of 10 new players in for this season. Our squad will still be threadbare but hopefully without the dross we had this past season.