Matt Crooks named in Team of the Year

INCOMING Gers player Matt Crooks has today been named in the English League 2 team of the season.

Crooks, who penned a four year deal with the club will join this summer along with his fellow Accrington Town team mate Josh Windass was named as a midfielder in the line upannounced today.

The 22 year old can play in midfield or in the heart of defence, played 35 times for Stanley this season, playing in League 2, the Capital One Cup and the FA Cup. He scored eight goals in all matches and was booked twelve times throughout the campaign.

http://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/crooks-team-year/

Congratulations to him and I highlighted a little bit which might show where he might be preferred for next season.

Listen if he gets a game at centre half and does well he will stay in the team, simple as that.

He's a presence at 6'4 and apparently  good with the ball at his feet. Canny put in any worse of a performance than Kiernan at cup final put it that way. 

If Rob or Danny lose their place next season they have only got themselves to blame.

Might not be too significant but interesting to see on the Rangers site its self he is already listed as a defender...

Personally I can see it being a similar situation as Dom Ball last season. Play CB at times but in the bigger games step into that DM role.

http://rangers.co.uk/teams/first-team/#

10 minutes ago, trueblue05 said:

Might not be too significant but interesting to see on the Rangers site its self he is already listed as a defender...

Personally I can see it being a similar situation as Dom Ball last season. Play CB at times but in the bigger games step into that DM role.

http://rangers.co.uk/teams/first-team/#

Wouldn't DM be Bartons position 

A good mate goes to the Accy games and saud he is definitely not a defender.

He slotted in the odd gane cos of his strength but he raves about him as a midfielder.

There failure to clinch automatic promotion and lose in the play off was solely doen to Crooks injury.

He, much more than Windass, was the heartbeat of the side and apparently bossed games.

Got high hopes for the big fella. 

7 minutes ago, RFCRobertson said:

Wouldn't DM be Bartons position 

Crooks might well play a box to box in those games. Think he got something like 8 goals last season? Although Barton does like to get around the pitch aswell so I'm sure Crooks sitting in DM would allow more freedom for that.

I'll leave the tactics to the Magic Hat.

1 hour ago, ShanksRFC said:

I've heard a couple commentators saying he is one of the best players in that league. Looking forward to seeing what he can do, might solve the defensive problem.

Commentator mentioned it in the 2 play off games a watch of there's and he wasn't even playing haha

1 hour ago, GOAT said:

He's only played a handful of games in defence, he is not the answer to our defensive problems, he is a midfielder.

No matter how often you repeat this there is always still someone wishing to put him in as our new CB. The guy was apparently fuckin woeful as CB, not just poor, woeful. Someone above said he cant be as bad as our current CB's. Im willing to put money on him being worse than our current lot. He is supposed to be pretty mediocre in the air despite his height. We have all seen the type, the type of guy who loses height as he jumps. Im sure his height will be an added bonus at set-pieces, he will be an improvement on our current 5ft 4in midfielders, but I dont expect him to be regularly winning headers against opponents who are strong in the air.

It's a nice problem to have but I am not really sure how the gaffer can keep all these players happy. Rossiter, Crooks, Barton all seem to play one position. All seem to be looking for a regular starting position. I don't think any of them have signed up to be sitting on the bench. Add to that Jordan Thomson, Halliday and where is Robbie Crawford in all this? 

I guess this is why people talk about Crooks at Center Half. 

We we have a lot of midfielders and not many strikers or defenders  

I would prefer if we actually signed a strong central defender that can be a commanding presence at set pieces. We need the next Richard Gough. 

1 hour ago, Bakbear said:

It's a nice problem to have but I am not really sure how the gaffer can keep all these players happy. Rossiter, Crooks, Barton all seem to play one position. All seem to be looking for a regular starting position. I don't think any of them have signed up to be sitting on the bench. Add to that Jordan Thomson, Halliday and where is Robbie Crawford in all this? 

I guess this is why people talk about Crooks at Center Half. 

We we have a lot of midfielders and not many strikers or defenders  

I would prefer if we actually signed a strong central defender that can be a commanding presence at set pieces. We need the next Richard Gough. 

Robbie Crawford?

200w.gif

Where does this myth about us having too many midfielders come from? We have the same amount of midfielders right now than we did last season, but all of a sudden its a problem even though there will be more high-intensity games and will be a tougher season? The midfield was one of the main problems towards the end of the season, so I'm glad we are bringing in more options. 

As for Crooks, he seems to be a players who will develop into a quality player and I wouldn't expect him to go straight into the regular 11, although, he does seem a great signing.