Try these shoes for size Mr Waddell

“It means anyone who wasn’t there has no idea of the scale. Phone and periscope clips are there for all to see but they’re a microcosm, and judgment without the big picture is flawed.”

(Gordon Waddell, 29.05.2016)

http://www.<No links to this website>/sport/hibs-rangers-scottish-cup-final-8075282#62SdIAxCXqbdJiUL.97

Mr Waddell is of the opinion that the subsequent Rangers statements following the Cup Final has damaged our credibility even more than Hibs Chairman Rod Petrie’s car crash interview post-match. Perhaps Mr Waddell would do well to heed his own advice at look at not only the bigger picture but also the environment in which it was issued.

The Rangers statement was issued of course after the Petrie interview which itself drew so much condemnation from the press as it sought to down play, even question some of the events which had unfolded. It also followed the Off the Ball programme where Stuart Cosgrove had provided a masterclass in not downplaying but actually subduing all debate and discussion regarding the post-match shame.

It followed the First Minister’s tweet congratulating Hibs but offering neither mention nor condemnation of the ugly scenes of the aftermath. And of course it also followed the initial assessment by Tom English, who of course falls into Mr Waddell’s aforementioned category of “anyone who wasn’t there”.

The backdrop to the Rangers statement was a silence from our politicians, not only a downplaying but a force closure on discussion on it from our national broadcaster and in addition as a skewered focus of events from journalists who were not even present.

It is interesting that subsequent to the Rangers statement the First Minister has seen fit to comment and condemn the events post the Cup Final, Stuart Cosgrove has issued a public apology on air for his conduct and Tom English has altered his initial view of events having actually studied the evidence in more depth.

Let’s for a moment imagine a different scenario on Saturday 21st May, 2016. That a group of Rangers supporters had stormed the Hampden press box and goaded, incited, attacked, spat on and verbally abused journalists who were only doing their job. And a Rangers director subsequently dismissed such behaviour as merely “over exuberance”. That Rangers then sought to minimise all discussion or debate on the subject.

Can you imagine what the subsequent NUJ statement would have consisted of in both tone and content ?

Sometimes Mr Waddell you have to walk about in other people’s shoes to truly understand where they are coming from, in order to genuinely see that bigger picture.

Professional footballers were physically assaulted on the pitch of our national stadium during a massive pitch invasion

I just simply cannot grasp how there can be an over reaction to that. 

I also can't quite grasp how terrifying that must be. 

Another outstanding piece D'art. The likes of Waddell is just another hater . These haters with access to typewriters will never show any sympathy for us and will  throw the likes of spiers,the hag and jum spence at us,instead of realising these cunts got themselves chased for being openly bigoted in there attacks on Rangers. This is another cunt who thinks it was only Rangers and we should get over it. These cunts can say what they want at the time then issue apologies a week later when the thing has died down. Like we were saying yesterday,it's too late as it is out there,and the haters will only have read the bad bits. Power to your elbow Sir. 

Well constructed and well written piece as per D'art. I have, however, absolutely no idea what Waddell is saying and have no intention of clicking the link to find out. Starving him and his paper of the oxygen of publicity is the least we should be doing. Be vigilant to attacks on us but don't help to disseminate their poison to a wider audience. It's a fine balance, one which you excel at finding, but now is the time for a complete refusal to interact with that rag, no hits, no sales, nothing.

10 minutes ago, reallyruff said:

Well constructed and well written piece as per D'art. I have, however, absolutely no idea what Waddell is saying and have no intention of clicking the link to find out. Starving him and his paper of the oxygen of publicity is the least we should be doing. Be vigilant to attacks on us but don't help to disseminate their poison to a wider audience. It's a fine balance, one which you excel at finding, but now is the time for a complete refusal to interact with that rag, no hits, no sales, nothing.

Ruff

I echo your concerns re clicking the links but I always like to give a sense of fairness and balance - Im attacking his article so its only right and proper what he has alluded to is available.

3 minutes ago, D'Artagnan said:

Ruff

I echo your concerns re clicking the links but I always like to give a sense of fairness and balance - Im attacking his article so its only right and proper what he has alluded to is available.

As I said, a fine balance. As much as we may wish to witness the demise of this rag, to attack it without letting others know why could be counterproductive and engender a curiosity which causes them to visit this rag on one medium or another. You find this balance better than most, keep up the good work as I believe you articulate our point of view in the best fashion.

I wonder how the press would treat this if the fans invading the pitch, had been from another country ? 

I'll guarantee the MSM in Scotland would be calling for severe punishment for the instigators.

Cause and effect, action and reaction, the hivs fans caused it by their actions.

Someone mentioned earlier that the record has an agenda against Rangers. Apparently they have some sort of financial link to the other mob and this definitely shows. The underhand reporting in the last week is so unbalanced and disgraceful it sounds like its fabricated from above, well its not based on the actual incidents that happened.

Did anyone ever believe there was a tour of Japan?

19 minutes ago, centenarystand said:

Someone mentioned earlier that the record has an agenda against Rangers. Apparently they have some sort of financial link to the other mob and this definitely shows. The underhand reporting in the last week is so unbalanced and disgraceful it sounds like its fabricated from above, well its not based on the actual incidents that happened.

Did anyone ever believe there was a tour of Japan?

I don't know mate, I'd need to see some concrete evidence of the link you mention. It wouldn't surprise me though. In my opinion, it's more likely that the DR is just shit-stirring and sniggering while watching the reaction because they think they are untouchable. I think they abuse the very notion of "journalistic integrity" whenever it suits them e.g.kidding on they've got police sources while maintaining the charade that as "journalists" they have a duty to protect those sources so when the story is challenged, they can hide behind that.

I've not bought it for years and I avoid their website. In the long term, I feel that's the best way to hurt them and I'd encourage every Bear to do the same.

Let’s for a moment imagine a different scenario on Saturday 21st May, 2016. That a group of Rangers supporters had stormed the Hampden press box and goaded, incited, attacked, spat on and verbally abused journalists who were only doing their job. And a Rangers director subsequently dismissed such behaviour as merely “over exuberance”. That Rangers then sought to minimise all discussion or debate on the subject.

Great point D'art.  One I would love to (although never will) hear a response too.

Have said it all along, I am aware of the hatred and Jelousy towards our club.  I did not know that it ran so deep that the haters would fail to do the right thing when players were being assaulted on the pitch.  When that happens it becomes less about who you support and who you don't and all about decent people standing side by side and condemning that behaviour.

I wasn't at Hillsbourgh, but I did see the horrific events unfold on TV.

I wasn't at the Bradford Stand fire game, but I also saw that on TV.

I wasn't at Heysel Stadium, but that was some battle and I'm sure the Liverpool fans were well punished for their part in it.

I wasn't at the Scottish Cup Final game, but I have seen many TV pictures, phone vids, still photos as there where thousands of others there, and they practically all had recording devices of one nature or another.

The poor journalism of Waddle also seems to discount all this evidence, even though the police can use it to convict people.

The man is such a poor journalist that he seems to take the view if you're not at the game, you can't know anything about what went on.

That should be news to the TV companies that pay 100,000's, if not millions for the world wide rights to show the game live. A great example of a capitalist company throwing money away.

Another great example is the Mirror Group employing liars like Waddle as journalists, unless he's actually doing what they want him to do and spread anti-Rangers lies and propaganda to the wider public?

13 minutes ago, Dutchy said:

I wasn't at Hillsbourgh, but I did see the horrific events unfold on TV.

I wasn't at the Bradford Stand fire game, but I also saw that on TV.

I wasn't at Heysel Stadium, but that was some battle and I'm sure the Liverpool fans were well punished for their part in it.

I wasn't at the Scottish Cup Final game, but I have seen many TV pictures, phone vids, still photos as there where thousands of others there, and they practically all had recording devices of one nature or another.

The poor journalism of Waddle also seems to discount all this evidence, even though the police can use it to convict people.

The man is such a poor journalist that he seems to take the view if you're not at the game, you can't know anything about what went on.

That should be news to the TV companies that pay 100,000's, if not millions for the world wide rights to show the game live. A great example of a capitalist company throwing money away.

Another great example is the Mirror Group employing liars like Waddle as journalists, unless he's actually doing what they want him to do and spread anti-Rangers lies and propaganda to the wider public?

I no longer consider them to be journalists, in my opinion they are just ordinary workers shit scared of getting on the wrong side of their bosses/owners and losing a well paid job that they are willing to give up on any shred of integrity that they may have once possessed and no longer care that what the write has any semblance of truth.

11 minutes ago, OhW said:

You always posts great stuff D'Artagnan. I am not aware of everything you do, so please forgive me if I am wrong but....it feels to me that your posts are almost wasted on here, like you are preaching to the converted. I would love to see you respond to some of the ignorant statements written about Rangers on various news comment sections on the web. 

No you are right bud it is very much  case of preaching to the converted - I also write regularly for WATP Magazine and although it may be hard copy it still serves the same audience in as much as the readership will be Rangers supporters.

Frustrating as the current siuation may seem its a whole lot better than when I started blogging over 20 years ago - then our stuff was confined purely to forums and fanzines whereas now we can utilise social meda (Im on Twitter as @4thprotocol) & the aforementioned WATP mag to effect. Some mewspapers are also devoting column space to bloggers though I doubt very much you will ever see my stuff in there - I'm sure if you have read my stuff for a while you will understand why.

10 minutes ago, D'Artagnan said:

No you are right bud it is very much  case of preaching to the converted - I also write regularly for WATP Magazine and although it may be hard copy it still serves the same audience in as much as the readership will be Rangers supporters.

Frustrating as the current siuation may seem its a whole lot better than when I started blogging over 20 years ago - then our stuff was confined purely to forums and fanzines whereas now we can utilise social meda (Im on Twitter as @4thprotocol) & the aforementioned WATP mag to effect. Some mewspapers are also devoting column space to bloggers though I doubt very much you will ever see my stuff in there - I'm sure if you have read my stuff for a while you will understand why.

Plus a close second after Kerrydale Street, this is the most widely read forum by sellick fans so your pieces are probably going out to a wider audience than any DR "journalist"!

5 hours ago, D'Artagnan said:

“It means anyone who wasn’t there has no idea of the scale. Phone and periscope clips are there for all to see but they’re a microcosm, and judgment without the big picture is flawed.”

(Gordon Waddell, 29.05.2016)

http://www.<No links to this website>/sport/hibs-rangers-scottish-cup-final-8075282#62SdIAxCXqbdJiUL.97

Mr Waddell is of the opinion that the subsequent Rangers statements following the Cup Final has damaged our credibility even more than Hibs Chairman Rod Petrie’s car crash interview post-match. Perhaps Mr Waddell would do well to heed his own advice at look at not only the bigger picture but also the environment in which it was issued.

The Rangers statement was issued of course after the Petrie interview which itself drew so much condemnation from the press as it sought to down play, even question some of the events which had unfolded. It also followed the Off the Ball programme where Stuart Cosgrove had provided a masterclass in not downplaying but actually subduing all debate and discussion regarding the post-match shame.

It followed the First Minister’s tweet congratulating Hibs but offering neither mention nor condemnation of the ugly scenes of the aftermath. And of course it also followed the initial assessment by Tom English, who of course falls into Mr Waddell’s aforementioned category of “anyone who wasn’t there”.

The backdrop to the Rangers statement was a silence from our politicians, not only a downplaying but a force closure on discussion on it from our national broadcaster and in addition as a skewered focus of events from journalists who were not even present.

It is interesting that subsequent to the Rangers statement the First Minister has seen fit to comment and condemn the events post the Cup Final, Stuart Cosgrove has issued a public apology on air for his conduct and Tom English has altered his initial view of events having actually studied the evidence in more depth.

Can you imagine what the subsequent NUJ statement would have consisted of in both tone and content ?

Sometimes Mr Waddell you have to walk about in other people’s shoes to truly understand where they are coming from, in order to genuinely see that bigger picture.

The thing that really annoys me is if it was the other way around we would have been called "Scotland's shame" "same old Rangers" etc 

but when we are on the receiving end the perspective is totally different. We are the bad ones still for how we over-reacted, we caused it by not letting police in and the hibs fans were justified and the event covered and labelled with "exuberance".

if their ever was validation that we are hated by all this was it.

first away game of the season lets run into the pitch and boot the opposing players up and down the park - goad the home fans (which we will no doubt outnumber) and see how it's spin then.

55 is going to be the best title ever