I doubt McKay will play against France

If today's BBC gossip column is anything to go by as it appears Strachan is possibly showing more hypocrisy against players.

"Scotland manager Gordon Strachan will not risk throwing inexperienced players into tonight's friendly with France."

I thought the whole idea of friendlies is to give players like McKay a chance to actually show what they can do on the International stage. The sooner Scotland gets a manager in who will pick a player based on their club's performances the better.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 years in Gordon knows the problems, thinks he should be listened too more however Brian McClair is sorting it - Inspiring stuff.  If Barry doesn't feature its irritating he isn't just getting some well needed rest.   To be fair I wouldn't hang my hat on what the BBC gossip page has to say however if it transpires that he won't risk inexperience in favour of sticking with experienced failures he can't really be talking about fear as per below.

GORDON STRACHAN last night claimed Scotland have produced a nation of scared footballers. 

The national manager struggled to hide his frustration on Sunday after the 1-0 defeat by Italy exposed a huge gulf in class.

It also dropped Scotland three places in the FIFA world rankings to 43rd.

And as Strachan and his squad flew from Malta to Metz to face Euro 2016 favourites France, he admitted there’s a deep-seated problem with the game that needs fixed before Scotland can ever dream of matching the ability of their hosts. 

Scotland managed only a single off-target attempt at goal in the entire 90 minutes and barely left a scratch on Antonio Conte’s side.

Strachan – who has thrown his weight behind performance director Brian McClair’s project to bring radical change to youth football in Scotland – said: “Why was our technique that bad and why was there so much pressure on the players when they got the ball?

“Even after working on it all in training, I still have that overriding feeling about technique and passing from youth level up.

“If you look at most top players, they can pass the ball and beat you. We as a nation, all I hear – especially at youth level – is ‘pass, pass, pass’. That’s fine. But there are points in a passing system when people will come up to you and you have to be able to protect the ball or beat them.

“What we do is play ‘scared football’ when we come up against big teams.

“We’ll play four or five passes but we’re not sure if they’re going to get there. We just flick it away, hope for the best and then go ‘oh, unlucky’. But if you watch David Silva, and all the best players in the world, they don’t pass with hope – they are 90 per cent sure what they’re doing is going to work.

Scotland players struggled against Italy in the recent friendly

“They have the ability to pass the ball, the ability to protect it and the ability to beat you under pressure.

“And if you’ve not got that, you play scared football. ‘Oh, I better not keep it because I can’t protect it and I can’t beat anybody, so I have to play it’ – and you play it 50 per cent hoping it gets there.

“And I watch training or games and all I hear from the stands and everyone else is ‘oh unlucky, unlucky’.

“No, it’s not unlucky. It will be the fourth time someone’s made a poor pass. We’re constantly doing it and we can make players a lot better technically.”

Strachan has spent the past year helping McClair plot a path to streamline a bloated academy set-up and the proposals are about to go to the clubs for approval.

Gordon Strachan played for Scotland from Under-15s to the full international set-up

He added: “We had some of the best footballers in Europe years ago. How did we do that? It’s quite simple really. If no one wants to ask me, that’s fine.

“But I should have a voice – I played at every level of the game from schoolboy up since I was 15.”

At 43rd, Scotland have now fallen behind Albania, Senegal, Iran and Denmark in the rankings.

World Cup Group F qualifying opponents England have fallen one place to 11th while Slovakia have moved up eight places to 24th. Our other group rivals Slovenia, Lithuania and Malta are ranked 57th, 127th and 166th.

2 minutes ago, markem said:

3 years in Gordon knows the problems, thinks he should be listened too more however Brian McClair is sorting it - Inspiring stuff.  If Barry doesn't feature its irritating he isn't just getting some well needed rest.   To be fair I wouldn't hang my hat on what the BBC gossip page has to say however if it transpires that he won't risk inexperience in favour of sticking with experienced failures he can't really be talking about fear as per below.

GORDON STRACHAN last night claimed Scotland have produced a nation of scared footballers. 

The national manager struggled to hide his frustration on Sunday after the 1-0 defeat by Italy exposed a huge gulf in class.

It also dropped Scotland three places in the FIFA world rankings to 43rd.

And as Strachan and his squad flew from Malta to Metz to face Euro 2016 favourites France, he admitted there’s a deep-seated problem with the game that needs fixed before Scotland can ever dream of matching the ability of their hosts. 

Scotland managed only a single off-target attempt at goal in the entire 90 minutes and barely left a scratch on Antonio Conte’s side.

Strachan – who has thrown his weight behind performance director Brian McClair’s project to bring radical change to youth football in Scotland – said: “Why was our technique that bad and why was there so much pressure on the players when they got the ball?

“Even after working on it all in training, I still have that overriding feeling about technique and passing from youth level up.

“If you look at most top players, they can pass the ball and beat you. We as a nation, all I hear – especially at youth level – is ‘pass, pass, pass’. That’s fine. But there are points in a passing system when people will come up to you and you have to be able to protect the ball or beat them.

“What we do is play ‘scared football’ when we come up against big teams.

“We’ll play four or five passes but we’re not sure if they’re going to get there. We just flick it away, hope for the best and then go ‘oh, unlucky’. But if you watch David Silva, and all the best players in the world, they don’t pass with hope – they are 90 per cent sure what they’re doing is going to work.

Scotland players struggled against Italy in the recent friendly

“They have the ability to pass the ball, the ability to protect it and the ability to beat you under pressure.

“And if you’ve not got that, you play scared football. ‘Oh, I better not keep it because I can’t protect it and I can’t beat anybody, so I have to play it’ – and you play it 50 per cent hoping it gets there.

“And I watch training or games and all I hear from the stands and everyone else is ‘oh unlucky, unlucky’.

“No, it’s not unlucky. It will be the fourth time someone’s made a poor pass. We’re constantly doing it and we can make players a lot better technically.”

Strachan has spent the past year helping McClair plot a path to streamline a bloated academy set-up and the proposals are about to go to the clubs for approval.

Gordon Strachan played for Scotland from Under-15s to the full international set-up

He added: “We had some of the best footballers in Europe years ago. How did we do that? It’s quite simple really. If no one wants to ask me, that’s fine.

“But I should have a voice – I played at every level of the game from schoolboy up since I was 15.”

At 43rd, Scotland have now fallen behind Albania, Senegal, Iran and Denmark in the rankings.

World Cup Group F qualifying opponents England have fallen one place to 11th while Slovakia have moved up eight places to 24th. Our other group rivals Slovenia, Lithuania and Malta are ranked 57th, 127th and 166th.

Oh well, looks like every other cunt is getting blamed for his abject failure. Maybe he should check out how NI managed to qualify.

Brian fuckin McClair. Aye right!

16 minutes ago, sassaaaa said:

Strachans just takin the piss , and McKay should have left when Wallace did or the club should have pulled him.

He'll probably get the last 5 minutes to give him a false sense of hope. Better he got to fuck away from this shower of dross.

If players are failing to express themselves then that is down to Strachen and the SFA coaching setup not giving them the proper platform to perform. Strachen has an attitude of not loosing rather than winning therefor the players will always remain on the back foot. Strachen really does have to take a good look at himself and ask what is he contributing and where is he taking the National Team as at the moment we are up a dead end ally

I read about some 19 year old winger from Nottingham came on in the 71st minute. I'd never heard of him, but the failed manager seems to know what he's doing.

I wish I did. I don't even go out my way to watch this bunch of rotten careerists. I can't think of any other reasons why players would want to play for Ireland, sorry, Scotland, other than to get an extra payment on their transfer fees.

Good,pre season training starts in roughly 10 days,don't know why he joined up anyway,should have done

a lee Wallace and got himself a well earned break,rather than be surrounded by shit players and a half wit

obnoxious manager

1 hour ago, Dutchy said:

I read about some 19 year old winger from Nottingham came on in the 71st minute. I'd never heard of him, but the failed manager seems to know what he's doing.

I wish I did. I don't even go out my way to watch this bunch of rotten careerists. I can't think of any other reasons why players would want to play for Ireland, sorry, Scotland, other than to get an extra payment on their transfer fees.

^^^

Thinks Scotland is Ireland.

Doesn't know whether he stays in Holland* or Scotland.

Wonders why he failed Standard Grade Georgraphy.

:belm:

*Netherlands