• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure what this adds to anything. Says the same thing that people have repeatedly managed to say in a few succinct paragraphs. 

The flowery presentation doesn't make anything any more or less valid. 

Amazing tale Op. :clap:  but don't really agree with the final argument. Just think you overdone it by trying to put too clever a twist on it in the end. 

The things that hold all Rangers fans together are the traditions, heritage loyalty and brotherhood involved in supporting Rangers. Most of us take it with us from our early years to our graves.

Regardless of religious belief, political belief, nationality, race, background and standing we share the same common bond. We are Rangers fans, we have a common purpose. 

A better ending for me would have been the Gers fans from both ages realising how much they had in common,as I'm sure given the possibility of time travel we would. 

Personally I would have loved to have stood on the terraces in the 1920s watching Alan Morton running amok on the wing (no joking at the back that I did this please :)),  and am sure the fans back then would have had great pleasure watching Laudrup do the same. 

Apologies for being harsh on your ending, I'm just an old romantic and optimist, everything else was brilliant. 

13 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Amazing tale Op. :clap:  but don't really agree with the final argument. Just think you overdone it by trying to put too clever a twist on it in the end. 

The one thing that holds all Rangers fans together is the tradition, heritage loyalty and brotherhood involved in supporting Rangers. Most of us take it with us from our early years to our graves.

Regardless of religious belief, political belief, nationality, race, background and standing we share the same common bond. We are Rangers fans, we have a common purpose. 

A better ending for me would have been the Gers fans from both ages realising how much they had in common,as I'm sure given the possibility of time travel we would. 

Personally I would have loved to have stood on the terraces in the 1920s watching Alan Morton running amok on the wing (no joking at the back that I did this please :)),  and am sure the fans back then would have had great pleasure watching Laudrup do the same. 

Apologies for being harsh on your ending, I'm just an old romantic and optimist, everything else was brilliant. 

Spot on. 

For me all the tale does is emphasise the trend for some Rangers fans to think they're better than others for the wrong reasons and for some Rangers fans to denigrate others and cast aspersions at their right to support the club and to make them feel as unwelcome as they possibly can.

Another wee bit of light hearted bedtime fun.

Cellic fan from the year 2016 travels back to 1930s Ireland to see his Irish grandad, (one of the few cellic fans, perhaps the only one, who has a genuine Southern Irish connection). 

Irish grandad from the 30s: "We are all victims, we had no potatoes"

2016 cellic fan: "We are still all victims, sure it's something to do with a lack of potatoes even though Scottish supermarkets are full of them, and the chip shops are open 6 nights a week......" 

Irish grandad from the 30s: "Ye cannae be a true cellic fan and victim if you have easy access to potatoes, fuck of ya ugly wee scrote......"

51 minutes ago, tannerall said:

The things that hold all Rangers fans together are the traditions, heritage loyalty and brotherhood involved in supporting Rangers. Most of us take it with us from our early years to our graves.

You said this much better than I was going to. I would have made a cunt of it and gave my game away. Well done :541:

52 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Spot on. 

For me all the tale does is emphasise the trend for some Rangers fans to think they're better than others for the wrong reasons and for some Rangers fans to denigrate others and cast aspersions at their right to support the club and to make them feel as unwelcome as they possibly can.

Come on Inigo , you're looking too deeply into this . As the OP says , a light hearted view of the changes in our times . 

35 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

You said this much better than I was going to. I would have made a cunt of it and gave my game away. Well done :541:

Inigo said it much more succinctly in a single paragraph.

1 hour ago, Inigo said:

Spot on. 

Credit to OP though, was a great and well intentioned, emotional  post. His heart was in it,that's the main thing.

And you should've posted your own thoughts, doubt very much you'd have made a cunt of it. Just play the game openly, Bottom line is in spite of our differences (which is a good thing imo) we are all still ultimately Gers fans at heart. No divide there.

United we stand. 

:uk::21::21::21:

And a big hello to all the celic minded and lurkers on here too, obviously fans too otherwise why would they be here ?

It's all about the Rangers.

19 minutes ago, gmcf said:

Come on Inigo , you're looking too deeply into this . As the OP says , a light hearted view of the changes in our times . 

Not at all mate. The OP is making a pretty definite point as far as I can see. The last bit in brackets tells you that.

It doesn't seem light hearted to me at all.

1 minute ago, Inigo said:

Not at all mate. The OP is making a pretty definite point as far as I can see. The last bit in brackets tells you that.

Just had to check what was in the brackets , and there's nothing wrong with our traditions . Chill. 

2 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Inigo said it much more succinctly in a single paragraph.

Credit to OP though, was a great and well intentioned, emotional  post. His heart was in it,that's the main thing.

And you should've posted your own thoughts, doubt very much you'd have made a cunt of it. Just play the game openly, Bottom line is in spite of our differences (which is a good thing imo) we are all still ultimately Gers fans at heart. No divide there.

United we stand. 

And a big hello to all the celic minded and lurkers on here too, obviously fans too otherwise why would they be here ?

It's all about the Rangers.

I do understand the OP to an extent. He has his version of Rangers and probably feels it's under threat. He just has to remember that other people have different versions of Rangers and different  ideas of what's important. Most are valid. Few are wrong.

It's also best to train your guns in the right direction, and other Bears isn't the right direction, regardless of their politics.

6 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Was an emotionial OP which hit at a few truths about our supports changing attitudes over the years, and you and myself to a lesser degree were right to question the basic fundamental that as Rangers fans we all have a common purpose 

Unlike other clubs though whose fans seem to have collected a unaminous hatred of us (for whatever reason or provocation from their own), we are still able to comfortably debate our different backgrounds and beliefs. 

It is a great myth we are a sectarian club, a myth promoted by our enemies. Like the schooling systems the majority of our fans have attended, and continue to attend, we are a truly all-inclusive club. 

Vive la differences.     (Forgive the poor French, but with the Euros now on it's kinda topical) :)

Just now, gmcf said:

I thought that was the bit in the brackets that upset you , about protecting our traditions ? 

That's not what upset me, mate. Don't have any problem with people defending traditions they find important (as long as it's done properly).  That bit is simply what tells me that he was making a serious point.

What upsets me is the usual stuff, veiled in a little story, about who is a proper Rangers fan and who isn't. 

Just adds basis to my argument that two of my favourite posters on here "gmfc" and inigo are having a good old discussion/debate/potential argument on this. 

We are the people and open with it, not like the sheep (not specifically aimed at mutton molesters in aberdeen :)) from other clubs who are regimented and controlled by their inbred inferiority complexes and hatred of us to agree with whatever their club's chairmen decides.

Just now, tannerall said:

Just adds basis to my argument that two of my favourite posters on here "gmfc" and inigo are having a good old discussion/debate/potential argument on this. 

We are the people and open with it, not like the sheep (not specifically aimed at mutton molesters in aberdeen :)) from other clubs who are regimented and controlled by their inbred inferiority complexes and hatred of us.

I do hope not. I've got an early bed tonight. 

Bugger off back to the music thread, gmcf. ;)

Just now, CoopsLaud said:

This place has a music room as well?

Yeah. A good few posters with admirable musical taste dominate it. 

Which makes it a pleasant place to spend some time with a wee glass of wine or two.

2 minutes ago, CoopsLaud said:

This place has a music room as well?

Only ruined by the occasional sash bash, but fortunately most of those are for some strange reason posted in the Bear's Den. :pipe:

Some great stuff in there. 

Would post a link, but basically can't be arsed at this time of night after a few drinks, so you'll have to find it yourself.

Go to the off topic forum..............