1974-75 Season Review

neilston42

https://www.youtube.com/edit?video_id=iK7tc_FHW_o

The 1974-75 season was our last chance to stop Celtic reaching 10 in a row.........and we took it!!

Relive some of the action from that historic season, culminating in an unforgettable afternoon at Easter Road when we got the point we needed to clinch the title, for many Bears my age this is my first memory of Rangers being League Champions

11 hours ago, neilston42 said:

https://www.youtube.com/edit?video_id=iK7tc_FHW_o

The 1974-75 season was our last chance to stop Celtic reaching 10 in a row.........and we took it!!

Relive some of the action from that historic season, culminating in an unforgettable afternoon at Easter Road when we got the point we needed to clinch the title, for many Bears my age this is my first memory of Rangers being League Champions

Can't watch the YouTube for some reason , but I agree with your sentiment. 

The 1974/75 campaign is probably my favourite of all time. Not saying it was our most successful , but as someone who wouldn't have known our previous championship , I'd have been about 3 , it was literally a lifetime until that day finally came at Easter Rd. Imagine going through you're whole youth never knowing how it felt. 

It seemed a season of so many ' firsts ' for me , though part of that would have been because of living abroad in my youth , but it was the first I'd known us to win at the piggery , a first of seeing us score 6 goals as we did against Killie and Dunfermline ( ? ) and a first that we didn't get beat till about November iirc. I can still remember that season probably more than any other .

But as you say , stopping 10 in a row was special . I can still remember the song that was sung throughout the season . . . . . It's tragic we know , but it'll never be 10 in a row. 

One of my most memorable seasons in 52 years of watching Rangers. The feeling of elation that day at Easter Road was unforgettable. 

If I remember correctly we beat Hibs at Ibrox in the January and that was a milestone, it was our club dinner dance that night and Jock Wallace walked in with his arms aloft as if he knew we were going to do it.

Think the first defeat was v Airdrie at Broomfield the Saturday before Christmas 1974. Lost 4-3 and my old man who was a Diamonds diehard said it was one of the best games he ever seen. Airdrie at the time were managed by Ian The Wee Prime Minister McMillan. 

26 minutes ago, TheBishop said:

Think the first defeat was v Airdrie at Broomfield the Saturday before Christmas 1974. Lost 4-3 and my old man who was a Diamonds diehard said it was one of the best games he ever seen. Airdrie at the time were managed by Ian The Wee Prime Minister McMillan. 

Airdrie even ruined the end of season party by beating us at Ibrox on the final day , back in the days we only played each other twice. I think we only lost 3 times that season , twice of them to Airdrie . 

I was at Easter road that unforgettable day & the main thing I remember from the game was seeing my crazy older brother , who wasn't with me at the game , being arrested & frogmarched round the track in handcuffs by 2 of Edinburgh's finest & being thrown in a cell until the Monday morning.

:uk:

19 minutes ago, Buggleskelly said:

I was at Easter road that unforgettable day & the main thing I remember from the game was seeing my crazy older brother , who wasn't with me at the game , being arrested & frogmarched round the track in handcuffs by 2 of Edinburgh's finest & being thrown in a cell until the Monday morning.

:uk:

Another celebration party on the Monday night then :D 

12 hours ago, gmcf said:

Can't watch the YouTube for some reason , but I agree with your sentiment. 

The 1974/75 campaign is probably my favourite of all time. Not saying it was our most successful , but as someone who wouldn't have known our previous championship , I'd have been about 3 , it was literally a lifetime until that day finally came at Easter Rd. Imagine going through you're whole youth never knowing how it felt. 

It seemed a season of so many ' firsts ' for me , though part of that would have been because of living abroad in my youth , but it was the first I'd known us to win at the piggery , a first of seeing us score 6 goals as we did against Killie and Dunfermline ( ? ) and a first that we didn't get beat till about November iirc. I can still remember that season probably more than any other .

But as you say , stopping 10 in a row was special . I can still remember the song that was sung throughout the season . . . . . It's tragic we know , but it'll never be 10 in a row. 

Enjoy:pipe: