UEFA threaten to disqualify Russia

Slightly different circumstances mate. 

Russia and England fans have been battling for days in a country on edge due to terrorism.

Hibs fans attacked Rangers players in a country where Rangers are hated.

President Hollande will be severely pissed off at the scenes in Marseille, our First Minister sent a message of congrats to Hibs...

The SFA have very little to do this summer and consequently should be all over the shocking scenes at Hampden. Although fortunately there were not running battles in the streets of Glasgow like Marseille that in no way belittles the seriousness of what happened that day. It is the worst violence i've ever seen at a Scottish game. An important part of the UEFA statement is 'regardless of the results of the association findings, we could impose sanctions on the FA or Russian Federation which could include disqualification". That sends out an immediate strong message. A previous poster/thread talked about how the English FA would have acted faster. They would because they care about the international reputation of the Premiership as so much money depends on it. If the SFA want our league and competitions to be taken seriously and attract sponsorship they have to stop fucking around and grip the situation. 

I personally am in favour of disqualification as an option. It is the only way people learn. When English clubs were banned for 5 years in late 80s Rangers benefitted as we were able to sign many quality English players but more importantly it pretty much eradicated hooliganism in English domestic football. This allowed their league to grow and prosper as it became open to a wider audience. In the current situation Russian fans are the main culprits, but there is no doubt that England have a significant problem with a small minority of their away support that continues to cause problems. I think to behave in that way in a country that has recently had huge tragedy due to mass violence, and take away the police from doing anti-terror work etc that is keeping fans safe is just ridiculous. The tournament is about celebrating football. Battles should be on the pitch. I love Rangers and love football but over the years i've gone to games with my Mum and girlfriend etc. Part of the reason why football has become big in England is now it is a family thing and less tribal than it was. A strong message should be sent to England, Russia and Hibs that behaviour like that is not welcome in football. By not acting, the SFA are holding back the whole Scottish game.  

39 minutes ago, fleeting_glimpse said:

Main story on BBC football. 

Compare what the Russian fans did last night to what Hibs fans did after the cup final. Shouldn't the SFA be guided by the main European body?

No as its a corrupt little land we live in here 

Liewells law 

39 minutes ago, TopCat said:

I doubt UEFA will have the nerve to send Russia or England home for the behaviour of their fans.

The most I would expect is a large fine for each of them tbh.

They are only taking action against the Russian FA for last night.

2 hours ago, Inigo said:

The Russian fans have been a lot, lot worse. 

It's the Thugs who go to games looking for trouble, most supporters from whatever country just go for a good wee holiday a drink and watch the football.

2 hours ago, PromDeAnglais said:

Slightly different circumstances mate. 

Russia and England fans have been battling for days in a country on edge due to terrorism.

Hibs fans attacked Rangers players in a country where Rangers are hated.

President Hollande will be severely pissed off at the scenes in Marseille, our First Minister sent a message of congrats to Hibs...

Great post (tu)

1 minute ago, Smile said:

It's the Thugs who go to games looking for trouble, most supporters from whatever country just go for a good wee holiday a drink and watch the football.

Yip. Which is why I wouldn't want them banned. Fuck all the decent majority can do about it.

3 hours ago, bluegecko said:

French government have just banned alcohol sales of any kind around the venues for the rest of the tournament 

That's just ridiculous, the French are making matters worse with over reactive policing, and now antagonising fans by banning alcohol, if they are looking for a reaction well they are probably going to get one, and it won't be positive.