The Croatian fans fighting each other

pcbear

Anyone remember when it was still the old Hampden, covered Rangers end and the uncovered but bigger Celtic end, any time we played them in a final or semi sure as fuck they were scrapping amongst themselves, nearly always by the base of the big floodlight on the left as we watched from our end, don't know if it was rival gangs or what but it was fun to watch them beating fuck out each other.

Never saw it at Hampden, but was regular at Ibrox in the seventies. 

Various "Derrys" (should that be "Derries" ?) would unleash their adrenalin and excitement by picking fight s amongst themselves at rubbish games like us versus Morton.Airdrie etc by fighting amongst themselves. .

I guess they built up the tension on the buses and in the pubs before the game and unleashed on the terraces at the Copland end as there were no real opposition fans to kick off against. 

Unfortunately saw many a Gers fan hit lower down the Copland in those days by big "Eldorado" bottles and cans and the like. hence the reason crash helmets were fashionable in the early seventies. 

Police used to keep out of it, was more dangerous if they intervened. 

Bit sad really, but was just one of those things associated with the times. 

Fortuanately my own defficiences were caused more by alcohol abuse, rather than actualllly being hit by a bottle in the Copland Road end. 

Modern day fans will never understand the banter, intimidation and sheer crowd pressure in those days. In my opinion this is a good thing, but sadly I still miss those adrenalin rushes of crowd behaviour. 

22 minutes ago, piperpete said:

Best one I saw was the game at Ibrox when they went in 2 up at half time through Edvalson and we came out and scored 3 in the 2nd half, they knocked feck out of each other that day for ages.

Fantastic game and still one of my favourites. Stood in the Copland road terracing and got soaked but didn't care. Cooper was fantastic in the second-half as were Smith & Russell.

No TV coverage though, i think there was a blackout for the first few weeks that season

7 minutes ago, jcb said:

Fantastic game and still one of my favourites. Stood in the Copland road terracing and got soaked but didn't care. Cooper was fantastic in the second-half as were Smith & Russell.

No TV coverage though, i think there was a blackout for the first few weeks that season

Was that the game John Greig tapped one in when all the tim defence stopped thinking he was offside?

9 minutes ago, jcb said:

Fantastic game and still one of my favourites. Stood in the Coplanditroad terracing and got soaked but didn't care. Cooper was fantastic in the second-half as were Smith & Russell.

There IS coverage as I have saw It lots of times , I dont know how to find It as Im a dinosaur.but ITs defo out there.

7 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Goitd nsee the Croats doing it tbh. Looked like it was a bit of self policing with some of their fans telling the 'ultra' fuckers to get to fuck with their shite.

I was at a Scotland Croatia match In Zagreb and one of their loonie fans stood holding either a sheep or a goats head watching toHe game, the thing still had ITs tongue and eyeballs, mentalists.

42 minutes ago, piperpete said:

Best one I saw was the game at Ibrox when they went in 2 up at half time through Edvalson and we came out and scored 3 in the 2nd half, they knocked feck out of each other that day for ages.

Wasn't televised that one due to a TV strike, think most of the goals were scored at the Copland end that day an DJ played a blinder and got one or two.

Remember it well as me and the mates had snuck in vast quantities of booze, and a few plastic bags and I was in charge of got ripped to bits and lost  when DJ scored, all the booze in the plastic bags was lost in the mayhem, which was excused due to the result. (tu)

4 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Wasn' the n itelevised that one due to a TV strike, think most of the goals were scored at the Copland end that day an DJ played a blinder and got one or two.

Remember it well as me and the mates had snuck in vast quantities of booze, and a few plastic bags and I was in charge of got ripped to bits and lost  when DJ scored, all the booze in the plastic bags was lost in the mayhem, which was excused due to the result. (tu)

There Is a cine then as I have definetly saw IT mate, as you say all 5 goals were IN the Copland goal.Happy days.

4 minutes ago, piperpete said:

There Is a cine then as I have definetly saw IT mate, as you say all 5 goals were IN the Copland goal.Happy days.

No way there is footage of this game .If there is JS should get it on here .I'm 100% certain there isn't 

I have never seen any footage from the game.but can remember all the goals were scored at the Copland road end.

Huge result as we had lost to both Aberdeen & Hibernian in the opening three games, iirc there were chants of "Wallace must go" at the home game v Hibernian.

Little did we know that after that season we would have to wait nine years before the next one.

5 hours ago, tannerall said:

Wasn't televised that one due to a TV strike, think most of the goals were scored at the Copland end that day an DJ played a blinder and got one or two.

That's the game dj is talking about in the big Jock thread, he was playing CB in the 1st half and we were 2 down, big Jock threw him up front for the 2nd half and we won 3-2:541:

9 hours ago, Inigo said:

Good to see the Croats doing it tbh. Looked like it was a bit of self policing with some of their fans telling the 'ultra' fuckers to get to fuck with their shite.

Hrvatska vs Black Bloc.

Does anyone seriously think that fans could smuggle Guy Falkes' full armoury into a stadium within a country in lockdown?

Agent Provocateurs. Probably preying on Darijo Srna's grief. That guy is a hero and he didn't deserve the shit that the bastards cooked up under his nose.

12 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

Its about long term protests of Ultras against corruption in the ranks of Croatia Football Association

Ultras against Mamic

Exactly. My Croatian brother in law told me weeks ago that both Zagreb & Hajduk fans wanted the team thrown out as a protest against Mamic. I thought he was talking pish at the time but looks like he was right enough

13 hours ago, pcbear said:

Was that the game John Greig tapped one in when all the tim defence stopped thinking he was offside?

No.That was a season or two later.They claimed for a penalty and surrounded the referee who waved play on and they had so many out of position that Rangers broke 3 to one, with John Grieg finishing it off. To this day have never seen the footage in the 1977 game where we came back from two down to win 3 -2 as already mentioned there was a TV coverage blackout at the time.

14 hours ago, piperpete said:

I was at a Scotland Croatia match In Zagreb and one of their loonie fans stood holding either a sheep or a goats head watching toHe game, the thing still had ITs tongue and eyeballs, mentalists.

Did they sing any songs that endanger lives though?

15 hours ago, piperpete said:

There really is something enjoyable about that.

Beating them whilst they kick the shit out of each other.  I'd pay double for that entertainment.

1 hour ago, Sket said:

Did they sing any songs that endanger lives though?

Yes but I couldnt really get offended as I find English hard enin theugh without trying to learn Croatian . I saw a guy the size of the big guy IN the Green mile being huckled by their police and he was crying like a baby, talking to a few guys who taked good English they said he would get battered when they got him out of sight.

3 minutes ago, piperpete said:

Yes but I couldnt really get offended as I find English hard enin theugh without trying to learn Croatian . I saw a guy the size of the big guy IN the Green mile being huckled by their police and he was crying like a baby, talking to a few guys who taked good English they said he would get battered when they got him out of sight.

Can someone translate this please....