Lack of transfer fees..

If people's concern about the lack of fees is because of concern about the quality of players being signed then I reckon that's fair enough. It's a reasonable concern if they are players that nobody has seen much of.

If the concern is that it is evidence that King has been less than honest about the size and type of investment he can make, I'm not sure it is a totally valid argument just yet. It will definitely not look good for King if there is no evidence of an increase in squad size and quality come the end of the window.

I'm honestly not bothered about whether investment comes in the form of transfer fees or incentives for winning trophies (although not basic wages) but it will 100% confirm my suspicions about King if that investment turns out to be totally covered by ST income.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is everyone getting so hung up on transfer fees? 

We need to be realistic and live within our means. As far as i can tell a fair bit of money is being spent on infrastructure and scouting. If we can identify free transfers which add value then im all for it not wanting us to go down the same road of overspending as we did previously. 

Im sitting on the fence and as usual looking at the positives and reasonings.

Last seasons squad was too thin in quality but good enough for the job at hand, it was pulled together pretty quickly and i think it showed at times however we now move on to the next phase and need a stronger group. Once we have a few games under our belt and see how it shapes up we may require some money being spent in specific positions etc.

I would be willing to give DK until possibly the next window but definitely no longer than the start of next season to see if we need players and he has the cash, i always reckoned on giving them 2-3 seasons to rebuild the team and the club.

Imo Barton and Rossiter are good signings, we will have to wait and see with Windass, Crooks and Hill. I'm sure we'll see more players signed and if none of them cost anything more than a few hundred k, then fair enough. I won't be taking it as a sign that we have no money, just that we've happened to get the right players without laying out big money.

I'm glad we're not paying 2-3 million for average players. Why would we spend money we don't have to spend? It's different if a player is wanted by MW and King says no because he would cost £2.5m or whatever. 

1 hour ago, harry handsome said:

Im sitting on the fence and as usual looking at the positives and reasonings.

Last seasons squad was too thin in quality but good enough for the job at hand, it was pulled together pretty quickly and i think it showed at times however we now move on to the next phase and need a stronger group. Once we have a few games under our belt and see how it shapes up we may require some money being spent in specific positions etc.

I would be willing to give DK until possibly the next window but definitely no longer than the start of next season to see if we need players and he has the cash, i always reckoned on giving them 2-3 seasons to rebuild the team and the club.

Why not the cash now?

The phrase "speculate to accumulate" is appropriate in this instance and so far our club doesn't seem to be speculating a whole lot. Dave King brought the club to it's knees in McCoist's last season, with the boycott on season tickets. He then promised us the moon and stars and varying amounts of money, and relisting on the Stock Market. 

Last year was far better, but being honest there is huge room for improvement, but to the best of my knowledge nothing Dave King promised us has yet appeared, particularly the money. I'm a born cynic, I'm also a born blue nose, brought up in Clifford Street and going to loads of games, worked for Rangers as a Steward then with not Rock Steady before I quit working for them.

We have come a long way but still have further to go, but we need proper investment and it can't all come from ticket sales.

I'm struggling to think of many teams signing any players for 'money' just now. Most deals are large ones done before the Euros. Most will be done after the Euros. 

Players are on holiday as are agents etc. We will sign another 3 permanent signings Imo with the rest being loans from EPL teams.

I'm a wee bit disappointed that a Bear would hold the OP's opinion.

Here's me sitting here thinking "McCoist spent almost £1M on Templeton and Warburton brought in Tavernier and Waghorn for £400K combined", as well.

I thought it was blatantly evident that Warburton and McParland had an eye for a bargain with potential. Out of nowhere, we signed a Doncaster benchwarmer for peanuts in December. Once up-to-speed, he was one of the first names on our teamsheet and in my opinion, had Forrester been fit, the Old Firm semi-final wouldn't have gone to penalties.

I appreciate that we've got a large amount of members on here, so opinions are likely to be vast, but I don't think the lack of optimism demonstrated by the OP is justified.

57 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Can anyone name a target we've missed out on this summer because the hard wouldn't sanction the spending?

Fucking hell dude, what insider knowledge do we have to either confirm or deny this? Also we have been going for free transfers so I really don't know what you're trying to prove at all.

If you want to go back to basics who's to say the financial restriction isn't already in place, Warburton knows who he then has no chance of buying - so doesn't bother.

I think you're trying to win an argument in a very strange way.

10 minutes ago, Jack The Flipper said:

Fucking hell dude, what insider knowledge do we have to either confirm or deny this? Also we have been going for free transfers so I really don't know what you're trying to prove at all.

If you want to go back to basics who's to say the financial restriction isn't already in place, Warburton knows who he then has no chance of buying - so doesn't bother.

I think you're trying to win an argument in a very strange way.

What I mean is there hasn't been, even just from the names we've been publicly linked to, where it's been even close to it breaking down over a fee. If Warburton had wanted player X, Y & Z and missed out on every one of them over the fee then I could understand some of he complaints. So far our main targets have all been secured with little trouble. Barton, Rossiter, Hill, the two boys from Accrington, all signed up with little problem. Krancjar imminent, Mariappa (who was on the best part of 40-odd grand a week last season) could be coming in. 

Even last season, with the exception of Scott Allan, we got almost all of our main targets and (I could be wrong but) Indint remember anyone that fell through over our reluctance to meet a reasonable valuation. 

If MW is happy with the quality of player he's brought in then I've no complaints. Looking at some of the guys we have signed, how much do you think they would have cost us had we moved for them while they were under contract? Despite his age I wouldn't have been surprised if Burnley had wanted a couple million for Barton. What would it have cost to buy Rossiter had his deal not expired? Windass and Crooks? Just because players are on a free transfer it doesn't mean they can't provide far better value than signing players for a fee. After all, David Templeton cost us the best part of a million quid, Jason Holt cost us £60k as a development fee. 

15 minutes ago, novosleftboot said:

It would appear Krancjaer is about to be confirmed as our 6th signing. Is that not enough for you, before the end of June?

Full squad isn't even back training yet and we could have seven new signings in (Mariappa?) before we have the full squad together. 

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Full squad isn't even back training yet and we could have seven new signings in (Mariappa?) before we have the full squad together. 

Quite. It's certainly not time to be panicking just yet. I, for one, am more than pleased with the current state of affairs. Granted, I'd like to see a couple more at least - there's still plenty of time though.

2 minutes ago, novosleftboot said:

Quite. It's certainly not time to be panicking just yet. I, for one, am more than pleased with the current state of affairs. Granted, I'd like to see a couple more at least - there's still plenty of time though.

If Mariappa signs I'd be looking for another centre-forward and that would be about it. Remember too, Warburton has said any EPL loans won't come in until late August so there's also that option. 

7 minutes ago, The Dude said:

If Mariappa signs I'd be looking for another centre-forward and that would be about it. Remember too, Warburton has said any EPL loans won't come in until late August so there's also that option. 

A prolific scoring cf is a must (tu)

Think of this for s minute....Nadir Ciftci now back at the tarriers cost them £1.5 mill.

For less than that we've signed Barton, Rossiter, Crooks, Windass, Hill and now potentially Kranjcar....if you even factor in the fees of most of last seasons signings I'd say our offer much higher value.

On 19 June 2016 at 7:26 PM, MasterD said:

We should be able to do both. Our wage bill must be under £10m, we were promised investment.

People adding wages into investment are clutching at straws when the added wages so far probably equal what just left the club.

The thing is, some of the players brought in have been of good enough quality.

Lets say Barton had 2 years left on his Burnley contract, and we wanted to buy him. Even at his age he'd cost more than £1 million. Rossiter probably about the same (some reports saying £2.5m compo was the price for him if he went to a team in England).

We've picked up some good players so far.

I don't want us to spend a penny on fees tbh, they free player market is cracking and there are plenty of gems there to be picked up, we just need the correct scouting. I was a bit gutted that we spent £500,000 on O'Hallaran, not because the player or his quality mainly due to the fact that paying that amount for any player for the market we are playing in is ridiculous.

We shouldn't spend more than £500,000 on a player.

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

I agree with this. If we get Mariappa (no idea if he's good or not but he's a signing we obviously want badly) and get a decent striker in too (don't mean Vaughn) then I don't think we can really ask for much more than that - because, as you say, any last minute considerations or squad gaps we can supplement with EPL loans if there's some quality there.

The striker we both want, though, I actually want us to spend some money on a right good bit of quality. This is essential for me unless we get Ings on loan for a season - which probably isn't likely as there's never been anything solid to it in the first place.

I am not worried about transfer fees and I am more concerned who we bring in, with Niko Kranjer having a medical tomorrow we are gonna have a solid midfield and a hell of a bench.

The one big signing I would like to see is a proven finisher who is tall and can hold the ball up and maybe another big good centre half.

Our team is already transformed for the better and our team is much improved than the team that finished last season, We were a million miles from winning the league with that squad and with Celtic in Europe I can see us top of the league before we go to the beggerdome in September.

Very happy with what we have brought in while balancing the books, credit to MW again he is good at getting players in for next to nothing when they could easily go elsewhere for more money. 

Rangers are back, no panicking about Pottodrie or other away matches as I expect this gers team to come away with 3 pts more times than not. 

On 19/06/2016 at 1:30 PM, The Dude said:

Couldn't care less. Far more interested in the quality of the player coming in than any transfer fee we may pay. 

As I said in another thread...

You DO NOT need to throw money at transfer fees to bring in quality.  All a transfer fee tells you is how long a player has left on their contract and how valuable that selling club see there asset.  The fact is that ANY player can let their contract run down and go for free, doesn't matter if your Ronaldo or Ronnie Rosenthal.

And I have no qualms in being quite happy that people have absolutely no idea how much further investment there will be in the playing squad.  Why on earth would Rangers, of all teams in Scotland, want to tell the world how much we've got??  Better to have people believe we're brassers than flush when it eventually comes to transfer dealings, especially considering the football politics in this country.