Lee Wallace Extends Contract - 'I want to end my career at Rangers'

200616_lee_wallace_01.jpg

RANGERS Football Club is delighted to confirm that club captain Lee Wallace has extended his contract with the club until May 2019.

Light Blues captain Wallace won the PFA Scotland Championship player of the year and a double of Player of the Year and John Greig award at the Rangers Player of the Year awards as he led the Gers to the SPFL Championship last campaign.

Read more: http://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/wallace-extends-gers-contract/?

HAVING pledged his future to Rangers until at least the summer of 2019, Lee Wallacehas revealed he wants to stay at the club for the rest of his career.

The 28 year-old put pen to paper on a two-year extension to his current contract at Auchenhowie this morning and admitted to never having a moment’s hesitation in agreeing to stay with the Light Blues.

Wallace, who joined ‘Gers in the summer of 2011, will lead his side back into the Scottish Premiership next season for the first time in four years, and he also discussed just what it means to him to skipper Scotland’s most successful football club.

In an exclusive RangersTV.tv interview, he explained: “There was absolutely never a doubt over what I want to do for the rest of my career. It was in the club’s hands and my hands last season to make sure I did what I could to remain a part of the club I love.

“I would probably say last year was the best of my professional career, and I think there are a few boys in the changing room that could say the same.

“That’s down to the manager and Davie [Weir] and what they have brought on and off the pitch. Being handed the captaincy was a nerving moment, but the manager has always kept me right, as has Davie who is the epitome of what a Rangers captain should be.

“It was easy enough for me once I got going, and it was a responsibility I have really enjoyed. Having said that, that year has gone by and we are now looking forward to a new season where things are going to be stepped up both in terms of the league we are going to be playing in and also the opposition.

“But certainly we are going to step up how we play and how we are going to make an assault on this new league.”

The new deal has been a long time in coming for Wallace, with talks beginning before the end of the previous season before being put on hold with the Light Blues facing a hectic run of important matches.

But with the ink now drying on his new deal, the former Hearts man is just thrilled to have his long-term future secured.

He added: “Everyone that knows me at the club and outside too knows how delighted I am. I was running into the last year of my current deal, and we had started talks towards the end of last year, but given the big games we had in that period, I was happy to wait until pre-season.

“I am delighted to be a part of things for the next three years and delighted to still be out there on the grass, working with a tremendous manager and Davie [Weir] and with a great group of boys that we are making even greater with the additions we are talking about.

“So there are some really exciting times ahead and I am hugely excited to be a part of things for the next three years.”

Wallace also spoke of his desire to further improve himself as a player, admitting: “I have a long way to go. I demand high standards and I have learned to do that even more with being at this football club.

“Both on and off the pitch the responsibility I had I was aware of, but having been handed the captaincy I felt an added responsibility to the guys through there in the dressing room.

“But I know I have a number of things to work on as a player, and as a group we are very demanding and demand the best from each other as individuals and as a team, so I am going to be making sure I work as hard as I can during pre-season and make sure I am the best I can be come that first game.”

http://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/waldo-wants-end-gers/