Stewart Robertson to stand for SPFL board

Ibrox managing director Stewart Robertson confirms he'll stand for election to SPFL board and declares that 'Rangers are key to selling Scottish football'.

There are two Premiership vacancies on the nine-strong board due to Retirement of Celtic’s Eric Riley and relegation of Dundee United.

Parkhead chief executive Peter Lawwell has confirmed he will stand.

Hearts owner Ann Budge is also considering a run for office.

Rangers managing director Stewart Robertson has confirmed he will stand for election to the board of the SPFL next month.

Unsuccessful in his bid to win election at the SPFL AGM last year, Robertson hopes for better fortunes on July 20, claiming the presence of Rangers at the top table could help to sell the Scottish game to sponsors and broadcasters.
‘I think the game itself is probably in need of a bit of freshening up,’ said Robertson. 'It has been the same for the last three years and the guys have done a good job for a period of time. But Eric is retiring this season, Dundee United were relegated so Stephen Thompson has resigned.
‘I feel we have got a good board at Rangers, we have got a lot to add and I think it would be great to see some more positivity in Scottish football. We need to get positive messages out there to market the game positively.
‘With some of our signings – Joey Barton for example – and Celtic bringing in Brendan Rodgers, the game is more sellable.
‘We are not where we were during the Dick Advocaat and Martin O’Neill era - but we are getting to a stage where we can sell it again and people are more interested again. I like to think I can come and look at it not just with a Rangers view - but with what can help the game from the SPFL’s perspective?
‘How can we improve communication, for example? It is a consistent message from clubs. There have got to be ways we can look at getting our message across. It is down to the clubs. I will stand and see what happens. It is just fresh ideas, we have got a good board and good ideas.
We want to be a progressive, modern football club and play our part in the game to take the Scottish game forward.’
Robertson, meanwhile, insists the club are relaxed over contract talks with Mark Warburton. The Rangers boss has dismissed rumours of a rift with the board or a breakdown in discussions after Sportsmail revealed plans to improve the terms of his current contract, which has two years to run.
Those talks show no immediate sign of reaching a conclusion but Robertson insisted: ‘Everything has been fairly low key. There’s been nothing for us to get too excited about to be honest.
‘As Mark said, he’s been on holiday. And if one guy deserved a holiday it’s been Mark because he’s put a fair shift in over the last 12 months. We were relaxed about that and we will take things forward.
The reality of football is that there are always rumours and speculation. When you know what’s actually happening you take an element of it with a pinch of salt, although you don’t want the fans to get the wrong impression.
‘The situation is fluid. The boys are away to the United States on Monday so that will be them away for another 10 days. While there will be dialogue going on, that’s not the environment in which to have those sort of conversations. Everyone’s relaxed about it, you can see that Mark is relaxed about it. It’s not something we are getting concerned about.’
The Ibrox managing director has also promised more new faces following yesterday’s capture of Niko Kranjcar.
With the club still in the market for a defender and a striker, Robertson added: ‘It’s not always easy to bring players in, a lot of factors have to come together and a lot of stars have to line up. We’re pleased with what we’ve done so far but there is more business to come.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Expected.

Hope he gets in this time, if not try again next year and the next. We need representation on that board, we deserve representation on that board. The sooner we can have a significant say in the running of the game the sooner we can affect positive changes.

3 hours ago, Courtyard Bear said:

So like all things if Liewell wants it it will happen. 

That's it in a nutshell, well I'm sure sur billy haughey might have a say as well, you never know DK and Billy might be pals from the auld daze ! :cool::sherlock:

When I saw that name I said to myself that's yon Rangers guy.

Now that he has to depend on votes from all 42 clubs, I'm not too hopeful.

We did some good work at the bottom while fighting our back to the top and some clubs were, if not ecstatic, very happy they had us to play against, TV money and fans tantamount.

I just think the hatred is just as strong within Scottish football against us and you be sure the powers that did us in in the first place will be lobbying hard against Stewart.:unsure: