Welcome to Rangers Lee Hodson - Signs 3 Year Deal For An Undisclosed Fee

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These types of signings, whilst not headline grabbing, could make the difference across the season. Our squad severely lacked depth and competition across all positions last season and it cost us in the end in terms of fitness and motivation. You could pretty much predict our starting eleven in every game, as well as our subs which gives opposition an advantage when creating a game plan against us. 

We now have competition and the ability to rotate our squad in every position, minus strikers but evidently we are fixing that problem. We are miles ahead of where we were last season, in terms of squad depth and talent. Maybe it's not enough to win the league first time, maybe it is, the skhanks are outspending us massively so only so much can be expected but so far so good. 

Here's how our squad looks so far:

Goalkeeper: Gilks, Wes

Full Backs: Hodson, Wallace, Tav

Centre Backs: Hill, Kiernan, Wilson 

Centre Mid: Barton, Rossiter, Krankjar, Holt, Halliday, Crooks, 

Attacking Midfielder/Forward: McKay, O'Halloran, Waghorn, Miller, Forrester. Windass

We need a quality CB and a goalscorer. I'd like another fullback as well, if one is injured it hurt our ability to rotate buy what surprises me is we actually have a lot of decent attacking options. Any of those players have the ability to come of the bench and make an impact , something we sorely lacked last season with our regular Clark/Shiels change at 60 minutes proving rather ineffective (albeit Windlass is unknown entity) but the squad is really taking shape. 

Glad to sign a 6'5" yank to sort out high balls into the box. Remember the start to the 2nd half of cup semi-final at Hampden where we were pounded with 4 corners, one after the other and no one tall enough to cope with the barrage. look how we lost the cup final due to a high ball into the box.

46 minutes ago, lgr1991 said:

Centre Backs: Hill, Kiernan, Wilson, New Signing(Mariappa)

Attacking Midfielder/Forward: McKay, O'Halloran, Waghorn, Miller, Forrester. Windass, New Striker, Loanee Winger

With those I added, that squad looks pretty fucking excellent to me in comparison to last year and especially the year before. With that squad and Burt, Hardie, Thompson, Kelly and Walsh we have a squad of 28. 

27 minutes ago, Laudrup1984 said:

Interested in the quote "We’ve not got full back cover and we’re looking at trying to get another, at centre half". Does that mean to say he is looking for a centreback that can play at full back or am I completely reading that wrong. Because it sounds like Mariappa as he is a centreback but can play as a fullback, probably just read it wrong 

15 minutes ago, VladimirWeiss69 said:

Interested in the quote "We’ve not got full back cover and we’re looking at trying to get another, at centre half". Does that meant to say he is looking for a centreback that can play at full back or am I completely reading that wrong. Because it sounds like Mariappa as he is a centreback but can play as a fullback, probably just read it wrong 

I'd like to think your right , that's what I thought reading it

3 hours ago, Blumhoilann said:

Will Grigg and plays for Wigan.

Cheers, possible, but I imagine he'd be one of their top scorers and they've been promoted if I can remember rightly.

Maybe not so possible.

4 hours ago, VladimirWeiss69 said:

Interested in the quote "We’ve not got full back cover and we’re looking at trying to get another, at centre half". Does that mean to say he is looking for a centreback that can play at full back or am I completely reading that wrong. Because it sounds like Mariappa as he is a centreback but can play as a fullback, probably just read it wrong 

4 hours ago, Jdee.RFC said:

I'd like to think your right , that's what I thought reading it

I thought it was a 'typo'.as in:. "We've now got full back cover.....

Although I could be wrong, this is where punctuation is vital, because it just doesn't make sense, does it?

10 hours ago, lgr1991 said:

These types of signings, whilst not headline grabbing, could make the difference across the season. Our squad severely lacked depth and competition across all positions last season and it cost us in the end in terms of fitness and motivation. You could pretty much predict our starting eleven in every game, as well as our subs which gives opposition an advantage when creating a game plan against us. 

We now have competition and the ability to rotate our squad in every position, minus strikers but evidently we are fixing that problem. We are miles ahead of where we were last season, in terms of squad depth and talent. Maybe it's not enough to win the league first time, maybe it is, the skhanks are outspending us massively so only so much can be expected but so far so good. 

Centre Backs: Hill, Kiernan, Wilson 

Attacking Midfielder/Forward: McKay, O'Halloran, Waghorn, Miller, Forrester. Windass

We need a quality CB and a goalscorer. I'd like another fullback as well, if one is injured it hurt our ability to rotate buy what surprises me is we actually have a lot of decent attacking options. Any of those players have the ability to come of the bench and make an impact , something we sorely lacked last season with our regular Clark/Shiels change at 60 minutes proving rather ineffective (albeit Windlass is unknown entity) but the squad is really taking shape. 

Hardie - Walsh - and others as well - I see hardie has completed his loan spell at raith and is back to compete in the first team squad - we won't develop our kids without them challenging and getting game time  - after all was that not a goal of a lean squad 

4 hours ago, Thewhitesettler said:

I thought it was a 'typo'.as in:. "We've now got full back cover.....

Although I could be wrong, this is where punctuation is vital, because it just doesn't make sense, does it?

I took it as Hodson is the full back cover and we want 'another' cover player at center half.

15 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

We don't need cover at centre half, we need an actual starter at CB.

Exactly this.

People seem to have forgotten our record against the top four in Championship last season..

in six games against hibs we conceded 3 goals in 3 of games and 2 goals in another 2

3 goals away to Falkirk twice.

3 goals away at Raith..

I appreciate that Barton/Rossiter/Crooks in CDM may help but it's not the answer..

12 hours ago, Big Al II said:

Welcome, fits MW mo exactly a highly rated youngster who hasn't quite fulfilled his potential yet, over to you MW do your stuff. Can't be a worse defender than Tav that's for sure.

He's highly rated?

The saving grace for me (same as Gilks) is that they are only cover, with respect to them.

It's OK saying we've signed 8 but 2 are basically confirmed cover and the other 6 replace Templeton, Bell, Shiels, Law, Clark, Zelalem, Ball .. that's 7 out (albiet Templeton and Bell never played) but we aren't really any better off than last season numbers wise and we lacked options then. I know Warburton said he expects another 2 to sign which is great but really these 2 have to both be first team starters that will automatically enhance our XI without a doubt.

1 minute ago, K.A.I said:

He's highly rated?

The saving grace for me (same as Gilks) is that they are only cover, with respect to them.

It's OK saying we've signed 8 but 2 are basically confirmed cover and the other 6 replace Templeton, Bell, Shiels, Law, Clark, Zelalem, Ball .. that's 7 out (albiet Templeton never played) but we aren't really any better off than last season numbers wise and we lacked options then. I know Warburton said he expects another 2 to sign which is great but really these 2 have to both be first team starters that will automatically enhance our XI without a doubt.

Yeah.

I know we lacked cover of a decent quality so it's good we are sorting that but at the same time we need to improve our starting 11 but so far bar Barton I don't think we have.

The remaining players to come in have to be high level players who will take our squad a few gears up in level. It's the only way we will win the title and fight on all fronts.

34 year old journeymen who haven't played football in a year and a bit isn't what a club expecting to go for the title should be looking at especially when the defence is such a frailty. Then of course you look at the attacking areas and we are in the same position we were last season in being in desperate need for a decent finisher. If Waghorn get's injured we are in big trouble.