Have Old Firm games changed for you?

I haven't visited or posted on this site for some time, recovering health and personal decision.  Quick question for Bears who attend Old Firm games: is it the same thrill over the four or five years?  I (partially) recall some of the older games from the 1950's, 1960's and very early 1970's when it was dangerous, bedlam and unhealthy.  If I was sober then, I would never have attended.  Would never have taken a child - now my children are grown and, as Canadians, have little connection to this experience.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The games just before admin say the 3 im a row year got a lot more spite and hatred on both sides it seemed to me 

would also say playing hibs these days is the same its a brilliant atmosphere with hatred a lot more than it was 

Went to my first in the mid 80s as a 9 year old. Loved them then, love them now, can't wait for the next one. Would have no issue taking a wain either. 

So no, I don't think they have changed much for me.

I think some of the old passion and intensity may have been lost at the actual game due to lower crowd and seating, but win or lose I still feel as  emotional and intense and just as excited/deflated/ecstatic/angry/happy during the game itself.

Only exception was the first game we played the tims after our demotion which was a strangely downbeat affair which was only going to finish with them winning. We had so many issues then. 

Last one will remain up there with the best. When McKay scored I nearly hit the roof of the ceiling as his shot flew into the roof of the net. 

Unfortunately the vermin who will provide the opposition in these games have ensured whatever ill feeling you experienced all those years ago will undoubtedly be surpassed by what's to come in the Years ahead.

Many on here are predicting carnage such has been the undiluted hatred generated from the top down across the city and I for one can see that coming too.

I never feel unsafe directly before or after the game. I think suppoters on both sides are only interested in shouting abuse and seeing the other side lose. 

Used to go for a drink after them but always ended up messy, and one time it got really bad so I just go up the road now. If we win I will watch the game back, 

Started going to these games in the late 60's and through the years enjoyed some great victories.  1980 CupFinal was as heated as anything I can remember, guess I was swept up in the general feeling of frustration and anger, however the feelings subsided post match (ok a couple of days later) and everything went back to normal.

During the last 4 years, for me personally, the absolute hatred I have towards that club and its fans, but especially the bloggers aligned with them will never subside.  They have gone, in my opinion, too far, they have taken rivalry to an all time low.  They tried to kill off our club which IMO is unforgivable.   Not  being as fit as I was in 1980, I have to challenge  them via the internet.  The excellent article by RDE should be compulsory reading for all Rangers fans.  Mock me, take the piss out of me it's all banter,  but the dehumanizing of the club and fans has gone and continues to go way beyond that which  is acceptable.  Something I will never forgive and never forget.

Always thought we had a sort of symbiotic relationship with them, now if I could watch their club die I would happily celebrate.

Everything has intensified against those dirty smelly mhanky c@nts, when we beat them in the semi final game i had tears of joy. But i don't want to see their unwashed hoards scurrying up to Ibrox, and i wont be going to the Piggery. Cut their allocation to a couple of thousand.

18 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

Now that Rangers are dead and became sevco its not the same 

I agree mate! Sevco V Pacific Shelf isn't quite as intense as when it was Rangers V the mhanky fucking mob of scummy cunts. :pipe:

Been going since early 80s and for me personally I think my hatred for them has intensified over the last few years. 

On the whole maybe the atmosphere isn't the same as it was, it's hard to say to be honest, but if the semi final is anything to go by then it's still the best fixture in the world if you win it. 

I remember going to Old Firm games from the early 90's and a lot of the years during our 9 in a row years I remember coming away from Parkhead quite gutted that we maybe only won 1-0. I know that sounds mental but it was just different times.

I never had the intense hatred I have for them now either.

Up until our Manchester season I was genuinely not bothering my arse with them but that one season was a game changer ...

Hateful bastard John Reid coming on board
The formation of the Gr33n Brigad3
Them using the death of an old squad player to get an Old Firm game postponed because they were shitting it as they had McGeady, Boruc and Nakamura either injured or suspended - yet when a Celtic great Burns died, it was "lets play this next game and win the league for Tommy"
Their fantasy tour of Japan

Since then I have hated them as much as I love us, sometimes even hated them a little more.

They are fucking scum. My hatred for them is rivalled only by Yessers and the SNP - although they tend to be the same people anyway.

Any Rangers fan that enjoys "banter" with Celtic fans or is happy to sit in their company while they think orange bastard, zombies, cheats, H***, sevco or whatever is a cretin too.

13 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I remember going to Old Firm games from the early 90's and a lot of the years during our 9 in a row years I remember coming away from Parkhead quite gutted that we maybe only won 1-0. I know that sounds mental but it was just different times.

I never had the intense hatred I have for them now either.

Up until our Manchester season I was genuinely not bothering my arse with them but that one season was a game changer ...

Hateful bastard John Reid coming on board
The formation of the Gr33n Brigad3
Them using the death of an old squad player to get an Old Firm game postponed because they were shitting it as they had McGeady, Boruc and Nakamura either injured or suspended - yet when a Celtic great Burns died, it was "lets play this next game and win the league for Tommy"
Their fantasy tour of Japan

Since then I have hated them as much as I love us, sometimes even hated them a little more.

They are fucking scum. My hatred for them is rivalled only by Yessers and the SNP - although they tend to be the same people anyway.

Any Rangers fan that enjoys "banter" with Celtic fans or is happy to sit in their company while they think orange bastard, zombies, cheats, H***, sevco or whatever is a cretin too.

To be fair, their "new - agers" are alright for the most part. The staunch republican ones are unbearable though and that Gr33n Brigad3 bunch are the scum of the earth.

I have family who support them, but they are the "new - age" type and any banter we have never descends into IRA or "sevco" shite.

Think yellow teeth fanned the flames during his time as their manager which has intensified the hatred and everything during and after admin. has also added to this. The hatred at the games is as strong as it ever was imoa but wouldn't stop me taking my kids as I don't feel there's a safety issue.

Started going to watch Rangers in 63 and grew up just not liking them.
After the last 5 years and seeing how much they actually hate us,and this was not an overnight sensation and seems to have always been there from the tinkers,and I am more than certain they seemed to have been encouraged by this hateful campaign againt us from the rest of Scotland then the feeling is mutual.
When we beat them in the semi final I was probably one of the first out of the stadium and was just the best feeling that we gave the scabby cunts a doing and all I wanted to do was walk up the street with my chest sticking out and for them to see me and fucking hate us as,and that  we were still the stuff of their fucking nightmares and that we hadn't been killed off which they had tried so hard to do :uk:   

Can't comment on anything before mid 2000's as its beyond my time attending games and being old enough to properly emotionally invest in the club, but for me it means so much more than it ever has right now. The semi final was the best day of my life, maybe that's because im just a couple months shy of 20 and haven't got to the point of seeing children of mine being born etc, but that was the best day of my life bar none. I was absolutely floored for 3 days after it and I didn't even touch a drink that day, purely down to the absolute cauldron of emotions felt throughout those 2 and an aldo hours or so. 

The points the op makes are really just touching on how football has changed over the years, end of the terraces, booze ban, increased policing etc. The rivalry, the emotion and the importance hwant diminished - hell, this game means more than it even has today in my opinion. For a whole lot of reasons. 

yip back in the late 90s early 2000 Imo there appeared to be the same hatred on the pitch as was in the stand. Now it feels like most of that on pitch has gone. Imo if it returns ill be for this season only whilst we get our title back. I just hope the players are ready for it..