Lorenzo Amoruso Absolutely Slaughters Dick Advocaat on Rangers’ Website

http://talkingbaws.com/2016/07/lorenzo-amoruso-absolutely-slaughters-dick-advocaat-on-rangers-website/

Former Rangers captain Lorenzo Amoruso has absolutely slaughtered his former manager Dick Advocaat during an interview on the club website today.

The Italian centre-back is now retired but he clearly hasn’t forgotten his fall-out with Advocaat, which ended with Amoruso being stripped of the Gers’ captaincy.

Barry Ferguson was handed the armband afterwards, and Amoruso reveals that he thinks the responsibility was too much for the then-22-year-old to handle, even if he did develop into a club legend.

Embed from Getty Images

He said: “It was really hard at the start when the new manager [Advocaat] came in. He wanted some really strict discipline and that was good to begin with, but after a year or two the players got a bit fed-up about it as we were treated like kids.

“He was using the stick all the time and some can react well to that, others can’t. He was never ready to compromise his attitude, and one day I went to his office to sort the problems between me and him.

“He told me he didn’t like the way I had been playing or the way I had been talking and that he should change the captaincy.

“It was a personal attack, and I wasn’t happy. I said to him ‘if you think I’m the scapegoat then do it, no problem. But if you think I’m the main problem, leave me out of the team’.

“He never did that and that’s why I think it was a personal attack on me. He wasn’t happy with the way I was talking to the players and the way I was trying to get him to talk to the whole team.

“No disrespect to Barry Ferguson but he got the captaincy after me and he was only 22. He was a good young player but I think it was too big for him at the time.”

The former Fiorentina defender goes on to describe the mood around Rangers when Advocaat eventually left, and was replaced by Alex McLeish.

He added:

“All the workers at Rangers, the physios, the ladies in the kitchen and the groundsmen, all got a lift when Advocaat took a step away.

“The way he was acting and the way he was talking to everyone was really disappointing.

“The dressing room changed completely. Alex [McLeish] is a man who will give you something, but he always wants something back. That is the way he started with us and the results showed that in his first year and a half.”

Amoruso spent six years at Ibrox, and was undoubtedly a fans’ favourite during his time in Glasgow, often weighing in with crucial goals, including the winner in the 2003 Scottish Cup final, which transpired to be his last match for the club.

But his views on Advocaat and Ferguson are likely to divide supporters’ opinion, and provide an interesting insight to life at Rangers during the trophy-laden era.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, weshallnotbemoved! said:

Everyone got a lift? They were all happy under Ally. Slackers don't people that challenge performance.

I've given you a like as you are missing one in the post! ( oh and its Alex he was talking about) 

Reading it reminds us of what a manager should be, not yer pal, not easy, someone with steel, someone who will challenge you and demand more. We have that in Warburton except I'd imagine he's a little easier to get along with than Wee Dick Advocaat. 

54 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

It's hardly what I'd call a slaughtering but it's a poor interview for the club website imo

The snippet about DA is nothing most of us didn't already and the use of 'slaughtered' is like something from the Daily Courageous  Remainder of the interview I thought was quite good.

Thought It was  horrible decision by DA at the time and my opinion hasn't changed.  Ironic because chatting with Amo et al in Florida in 1999 the commonality among the squad was "there is a great team dpirit". 

Wish we had an Amo at the heart of our defence now.

1 hour ago, theweebluenose said:

He's been on record plenty of times with his view on Advocaat, nothing new here.

Surprised it's on the Rangers website to be honest, not important and don't see any reason why we would put it on there.

1 hour ago, ShaneRalfRoss said:

http://talkingbaws.com/2016/07/lorenzo-amoruso-absolutely-slaughters-dick-advocaat-on-rangers-website/

Former Rangers captain Lorenzo Amoruso has absolutely slaughtered his former manager Dick Advocaat during an interview on the club website today.

The Italian centre-back is now retired but he clearly hasn’t forgotten his fall-out with Advocaat, which ended with Amoruso being stripped of the Gers’ captaincy.

Barry Ferguson was handed the armband afterwards, and Amoruso reveals that he thinks the responsibility was too much for the then-22-year-old to handle, even if he did develop into a club legend.

Embed from Getty Images

He said: “It was really hard at the start when the new manager [Advocaat] came in. He wanted some really strict discipline and that was good to begin with, but after a year or two the players got a bit fed-up about it as we were treated like kids.

“He was using the stick all the time and some can react well to that, others can’t. He was never ready to compromise his attitude, and one day I went to his office to sort the problems between me and him.

“He told me he didn’t like the way I had been playing or the way I had been talking and that he should change the captaincy.

“It was a personal attack, and I wasn’t happy. I said to him ‘if you think I’m the scapegoat then do it, no problem. But if you think I’m the main problem, leave me out of the team’.

“He never did that and that’s why I think it was a personal attack on me. He wasn’t happy with the way I was talking to the players and the way I was trying to get him to talk to the whole team.

“No disrespect to Barry Ferguson but he got the captaincy after me and he was only 22. He was a good young player but I think it was too big for him at the time.”

The former Fiorentina defender goes on to describe the mood around Rangers when Advocaat eventually left, and was replaced by Alex McLeish.

He added:

“All the workers at Rangers, the physios, the ladies in the kitchen and the groundsmen, all got a lift when Advocaat took a step away.

“The way he was acting and the way he was talking to everyone was really disappointing.

“The dressing room changed completely. Alex [McLeish] is a man who will give you something, but he always wants something back. That is the way he started with us and the results showed that in his first year and a half.”

Amoruso spent six years at Ibrox, and was undoubtedly a fans’ favourite during his time in Glasgow, often weighing in with crucial goals, including the winner in the 2003 Scottish Cup final, which transpired to be his last match for the club.

But his views on Advocaat and Ferguson are likely to divide supporters’ opinion, and provide an interesting insight to life at Rangers during the trophy-laden era.

No contest. Amo's the man and get it right up Dick!