Thoughts on game and upcoming season

OzGers

Firstly let me start by saying I thoroughly enjoyed tonight's game. We looked fresh, hungry and importantly, had an abundance of depth.

In terms of attack, we were excellent. With Miller, Waggy, forrester, McKay, MOH and windass, we have exceptional quality across the front 3 and competition will be fierce. Add in a good performance from Walsh and we have a plethora of choice.

That said, we could have been more clinical and whilst it's our first  hit out, we all agree that we missed a clinical finisher last season and Warbs I'm sure is going all out to fill that berth.

With all this in mind, I firmly believe that Hardie needs another year on loan to develop physically, as I can't see where he fits in that front 3 given the depth.

midfield is obviously hard to judge given 3 possible starters were unavailable. What we can say is that the likes of Halliday and holt are ever reliable and no matter their role for the season, they won't let us down.

As for young Thompson,I echo my thoughts on Hardie, in that he needs to be playing and should go on loan because he certainly looks like a player who could be important in the coming seasons.

Fullback wise, happy with the performance, and with hodson still to come in, and McRories admirable performance on the flank, I think we have enough quality to see out the season.

Which leads me to defence. Boy oh boy does warbs need to get some real quality there. Whilst the us lad offered a physical and aerial presence, he looked like a bloke who hadn't played in 2 years and I'm not sure he's worth the risk.  Hill got turned once or twice which is concerning and given our attacking style this doesn't fill me with confidence as he is likely to be left stranded on occasion. He did however give us an aerial presence and a no nonsense approach which will give us something different. It's clear we need a solid CB because as it stands, I don't think we have necessarily improved in defence, merely added cover of a similar standard.

All in all, our first glimpse tonight was overwhelmingly positive. 

It's clear we are going to be a potent attacking force and with an addition in defence and at striker, I'm filled with confidence that not only can we challenge, we can actually get 55.

Only saw about 15mins then my stream went down,but what I saw was more of the same as last year,quick fluid passing and good movement 

A good striker is a must ,but will cost plenty and might not really be achievable,quality that can fit into that pace of play doesnt come cheap 

However the small fear I had that the new guys might struggle to fit into our style has been eased,looking forward to watching the haters in the league chase the ball for majority of the game 

7 hours ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Pleased with what people have said about Orange Halloran in the match thread,hope he really kicks on this season.

I have a feeling OH has slipped under the radar and this will suit him as the spotlight is well and truly elsewhere. Think instead of falling away he will flourish and we will see the potential the manager saw in him and he will surprise a few of us and have a great season.

Is the American defender not just training with us? We aren't signing him are we?

A fast and tall centre back and a natural goal scorer is all we need for next season in my opinion. Another full back that is better than Tav at defending too and i think that would be our squad complete. Do we not need cover for our keeper too? The Northern Irish goalie is available on a free. We should try snap him up before someone else does. 

5 minutes ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

Is the American defender not just training with us? We aren't signing him are we?

A fast and tall centre back and a natural goal scorer is all we need for next season in my opinion. Another full back that is better than Tav at defending too and i think that would be our squad complete. Do we not need cover for our keeper too? The Northern Irish goalie is available on a free. We should try snap him up before someone else does. 

Where you sleeping when we signed Gilks ? 

13 minutes ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

A still think you live on the moon

We need a CB and forward of Barton's quality and we will go on and win the league IMO. 

Onyewu gives us a physical element but he hasn't played in a year and it would be a massive risk by trying to keep him fit for the full season. We need a CB and a forward who will push Mckay, Waggy, Forrester, Windass and MoH to the limit to produce their absolute best for a starting position.