After Match Thoughts

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, thebluedoo said:

What has the budget got to do with the two you are talking down? Do you think they would play better if we paid them more?

In Motherwell's last 2 home games against the dark side they were beaten 0 - 1 and 1 - 2 with the biggest budget in Scottish football, Ross County and Hibs won the other 2 cups with a lesser budget. So in other words it means absolutely fuck all as to indicate how successful or unsuccessful Wilson and Kiernan will be this season.

By belittling our achievements last season you show a lack of respect for M W and the players imo

No one is belittling them. You totally miss the point and you can cut the deflective lack of respect shite.

They showed they lacked the abilty in the lower league, so what's changing in the top league? Is God going to gift them it? They are the weakest link. They were previously, they are now and they always will be. It's called talent and they don't have it.

If you actually think those two are quality, you are watching the wrong sport.

1 minute ago, Blue Avenger said:

No one is belittling them. You totally miss the point and you can cut the deflective lack pf respect shite.

They showed they lacked the abilty in the lower league, so what's changing in the top league? Is God going to gift them it? They are the weakest link. They were previously, they are now and they always will be. It's called talent and they don't have it.

If you actually thong those two are quality, you are watching the wrong sport.

I just think they have become easy targets for criticism, I don't know if its them or the open system employed by the manager that leaves them a lot more exposed than we are used to seeing Rangers teams playing. I to worry about the frailties that we showed at times last year and today but I think it can be because when Tav and Wallace bomb forward we have a basic back 3 with Halliday dropping back. Hopefully this shall be helped by the signing of another defender with Crooks and Barton dropping back. :pipe:

I also don't think M W will just drop them after bringing in new blood, personally I think he believes they can develop further, anyway no hard feeling mate just a bit overly protective of our team this weather :541:

11 hours ago, AGC123 said:

Chris sutton "thats not a penalty" ???????????????????????

Are you talking about his comment on the Motherwell penalty appeal or the blatant hand ball penalty appeal from us?

10 hours ago, blueretro said:

What does Davy Weir do exactly? That's my during and after match thought.

Have you never heard of the old adage...."You can lead a Horse to water, but you can't make it drink"?

For me, Kiernan and Wilson have not lived up to the expectations expected since they signed. At first, Kiernan looked an excellent signing but I feel he has actually regressed to the point where he is now getting out-jumped and out-muscled by the likes of Scott McDonald :blink: for fuck sake. Danny Wilson is an even bigger disappointment as I've always maintained since he was a kid that he had the potential to be an excellent central defender for us, yet now I see him ducking under a diagonal ball aimed for an opponent at the far post, that Wilson had totally lost by ball watching.

These issues have nothing to do with not having a perfect pre-season or not having match sharpness; It's not as if they haven't had enough time together to know how to defend as a central unit should operate, so Mark Warburton will have to give them the message to either shape up or ship out, before they both find themselves sitting on the bench. :pipe:

I'll take a relatively easy win for the first competitive game of the season. Never easy, away from home, we also have a bit of recent history against Motherwell- who would have been well up for it. Never completely comfortable with the defence- would agree with OP that this looks to be the area of concern this season. But Good effort/ work rate from all involved. Great to be watching football again- looking forward to an excellent season.

A good win, a bit rusty early with our passing but after 20 mins looked really good.

Defence still a problem but hopefully Hill and Hodgson will help that. Kranjcar looked class and Windass looked like he will fit in perfectly. Thought MOH looked sharp when he came on.

Can't wait to see how Barton and Rossiter fit in and Dodoo.

Happy Bear.

12 hours ago, blueretro said:

What does Davy Weir do exactly? That's my during and after match thought.

There isn't much SDoW can do when he's at the sidelines and the lads are defending a corner. He can't come on and move them manually himself. 

That's where the experiences CB would help Kiernan/Wilson, to give them some direction. That's why Wilson was so good last time he was with us, because Weir was right there with him telling him what to do/who to mark. 

After sleeping on it im feeling very positive about the season ahead. We need to remember this was only our second pre season game. Was disappointed with the line up and wanted to at least see Clint Hill. The only negatives are the obvious ones defensively and not picking up men in our own box, we gave them too many opportunities. However the positives are massive, we grew into the game, played some nice stuff  and the score could have been double. All the subs  contributed and this without the other new signings making an appearance.  With Rossiter being away then probably given a bit of a break it may be a good few weeks before we can see our full potential but if we can find a solution to Wilson and Kiernan we have the makings of a very good team that can shut up a few sniders in these parts.

You'd think RK & DW were 18 years old the way some go on about them needing help. This is Scottish football, the absolute dumps, if you're mid 20s and still a donkey then there's a good chance you're never going to reach the level we need.

6 minutes ago, MasterD said:

You'd think RK & DW were 18 years old the way some go on about them needing help. This is Scottish football, the absolute dumps, if you're mid 20s and still a donkey then there's a good chance you're never going to reach the level we need.

Looks worse on Wilson, he was good under us first time around (funnily enough he had Weir to direct him), went to liverpool and was the Hearts captain. 

And he's younger than Kiernan. Yet yesterday showed him still not marking and ducking out the way of the ball when there was a player right behind him. 

1 hour ago, RFCRobertson said:

There isn't much SDoW can do when he's at the sidelines and the lads are defending a corner. He can't come on and move them manually himself. 

That's where the experiences CB would help Kiernan/Wilson, to give them some direction. That's why Wilson was so good last time he was with us, because Weir was right there with him telling him what to do/who to mark. 

Communicating is always good, but how hard is this? You are either a player or you are not. Everyone has their level. No shame in that as some players are more gifted or limited than others. Overall yesterday the performance was good IMO, but what stood out for me yesterday, the gulf between them and the rest. Their mistakes are actually quite embarrassing and it will get worse in the top league. Tav's and Waghorn were a bit iffy at the start but grew into the game the longer it went on, but Wilson and Kiernan could not step up. We saw it last season, but the gulf between us and the rest, compensated for it and it didn't look too bad for the league we were playing in. Now in the top tier it is very noticeable. Miller must have seen the problem, as at one point he tracked all the way back to save us from a Well breakaway.. In a way it isn't fair on them either, as when the inevitable happens and we suffer a defeat in the league at their hand, when the overall performance of the team is good, they will get slaughtered. It will also affect the other players, if we end up snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, with others bursting their erse and doing their bit, for it to be ruined by two quite limited players. They have very little technical ablity, lack awareness of what is in front of them and have no arial dominance, nor are they intimidating types and as CD's that is very limiting and is leaving us vulnerable, so why should it be continually tolerated?

Nice blokes they may be, but we are on the park to win and it is obvious to most that a title challenge is seriously weakened with these two and I do not think of a reason why we are persisting with them. Hoping that the rest of the team being that good will compensate for them is not a plan to win a title. It is unfair to them, the rest of the team and the fans. 

1 minute ago, Blue Avenger said:

Communicating is always good, but how hard is this? You are either a player or you are not. Everyone has their level. No shame in that as some players are more gifted or limited than others. Overall yesterday the performance was good IMO, but what stood out for me yesterday, the gulf between them and the rest. Their mistakes are actually quite embarrassing and it will get worse in the top league. Tav's and Waghorn were a bit iffy at the start but grew into the game the longer it went on, but Wilson and Kiernan could not step up. We saw it last season, but the gulf between us and the rest, compensated for it and it didn't look too bad for the league we were playing in. Now in the top tier it is very noticeable. Miller must have seen the problem, as at one point he tracked all the way back to save us from a Well breakaway.. In a way it isn't fair on them either, as when the inevitable happens and we suffer a defeat in the league at their hand, when the overall performance of the team is good, they will get slaughtered. It will also affect the other players, if we end up snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, with others bursting their erse and doing their bit, for it to be ruined by two quite limited players. They have very little technical ablity, lack awareness of what is in front of them and have no arial dominance, nor are they intimidating types and as CD's that is very limiting and is leaving us vulnerable, so why should it be continually tolerated?

Nice blokes they may be, but we are on the park to win and it is obvious to most that a title challenge is seriously weakened with these two and I do not think of a reason why we are persisting with them. Hoping that the rest of the team being that good will compensate for them is not a plan to win a title. It is unfair to them, the rest of the team and the fans. 

Well you look at the distance McKay had to go to do a tackle on a M'well player to get the ball back, in a position that either Wallace or Wilson should've been in. I remember seeing O'halloran in Taverniers/Kiernans spacing. The forwards shouldn't need to go down that far, that Midfielders at a push like Halliday. But first and for most Wallace and Tavernier need to watch their runs. Communication between them two need to get sorted so that one goes up the other stays down for cover. 

We got very lucky yesterday, Halliday saved a goal in the first few minutes and Windass saved a goal (in the exact same position as Holt did last season) in the final few minutes. That's two goals that would've resulted in a draw. Wes did do a good job but he needs to boss his box better and just get stuck into getting the ball, even it means trampling over our own lads. 

On the subject of communication, Kiernan is the better of the two I heard him yesterday shouting at Waggy to get into the right position (Kiernan got the ball, passed it too Halliday who then passed it too Waggy), and I've seen Kiernan and Wes do the most communication in the box, I've seen both of them tell Wilson what to do/who to mark and yet Wilson runs off in a different direction. However something they're guilty of is ball watching and not man marking. 

Hill and Barton being there will help them, I don't think either of them will take any shit and get them told there and then. 

8 minutes ago, RFCRobertson said:

Well you look at the distance McKay had to go to do a tackle on a M'well player to get the ball back, in a position that either Wallace or Wilson should've been in. I remember seeing O'halloran in Taverniers/Kiernans spacing. The forwards shouldn't need to go down that far, that Midfielders at a push like Halliday. But first and for most Wallace and Tavernier need to watch their runs. Communication between them two need to get sorted so that one goes up the other stays down for cover. 

We got very lucky yesterday, Halliday saved a goal in the first few minutes and Windass saved a goal (in the exact same position as Holt did last season) in the final few minutes. That's two goals that would've resulted in a draw. Wes did do a good job but he needs to boss his box better and just get stuck into getting the ball, even it means trampling over our own lads. 

On the subject of communication, Kiernan is the better of the two I heard him yesterday shouting at Waggy to get into the right position (Kiernan got the ball, passed it too Halliday who then passed it too Waggy), and I've seen Kiernan and Wes do the most communication in the box, I've seen both of them tell Wilson what to do/who to mark and yet Wilson runs off in a different direction. However something they're guilty of is ball watching and not man marking. 

Hill and Barton being there will help them, I don't think either of them will take any shit and get them told there and then. 

You are bang on. Every time Well broke, we were in chaos at the back. IMO the two of will just not cut it. Both seriously lack pace and have little awareness of what is in front of them, nor the attributes to deal with what is coming at them. It's obvious that the opposition will target their weakness and If we consistently drop points by their hand, they will be in for a torrid time from all comers. I just hope it won't be too late to turn it around as the warning signs were there last season and suitable replacements should have been found.

Early doors I know, but from what I witnessed on that second half performance we have the makings to take this title, with the caveat of the two centre backs.

4 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

You are bang on. Every time Well broke, we were in chaos at the back. IMO the two of will just not cut it. Both seriously lack pace and have little awareness of what is in front of them, nor the attributes to deal with what is coming at them. It's obvious that the opposition will target their weakness and If we consistently drop points by their hand, they will be in for a torrid time from all comers. I just hope it won't be too late to turn it around as the warning signs were there last season and suitable replacements should have been found.

Early doors I know, but from what I witnessed on that second half performance we have the makings to take this title, with the caveat of the two centre backs.

By them two selves we will definitely concede goals, we got lucky last season but this season the opponent will make their shots count. 

Im contented with the summer signings and yesterday's performance. Was just checking the full squad online and we only have 2 non British players there, iam really happy about this. I'm delighted with the current recruitment policy, mainly Scottish and English players with a smattering of Irish boys, great blend. We WILL win this league and I think quite comfortably in the end. There is no one to fear out there, absolutely naebody.

Our weakest area is still weak, the defence should have been our main priority but seems to have been forgotten about, build a strong spine and even in the tight games we will win them.

Kenny Miller should be an impact sub rather than a starter good work ethic but his first touch is still miles off.

Man of the Match our Goalie for first half performance.

Just now, Smile said:

Our weakest area is still weak, the defence should have been our main priority but seems to have been forgotten about, build a strong spine and even in the tight games we will win them.

Kenny Miller should be an impact sub rather than a starter good work ethic but his first touch is still miles off.

Hardly forgotten about, Lee Hodson, Clint Hill at least two high quality DMs (Barton and Rossiter) and a CH to follow. Hardly forgotten about at all. I think yesterdays line up was sensible for a first competitive game given the opposition, players already used to playing together for a good while. There will be changes made in the coming games.

8 minutes ago, RFC Eagle said:

Hardly forgotten about, Lee Hodson, Clint Hill at least two high quality DMs (Barton and Rossiter) and a CH to follow. Hardly forgotten about at all. I think yesterdays line up was sensible for a first competitive game given the opposition, players already used to playing together for a good while. There will be changes made in the coming games.

Sensible to play players who shipped an average of 3 goals a game and look out their depth at a level lower than we are currently playing. When did the happy to accept mediocrity set in at Rangers.

Those players should never have been on the Pitch new season a new backline instead of the woeful shite we had.

Just now, Smile said:

Sensible to play players who shipped an average of 3 goals a game and look out their depth at a level lower than we are currently playing. When did the happy to accept mediocrity set in at Rangers.

Those players should never have been on the Pitch new season a new backline instead of the woeful shite we had.

so you'd throw together a defence that either have joined the club in the last week or so or aren't fully match fit rather than players who had played against and beaten Septic the previous season? I think I'll take the side of the manager and his coaching qualifications over a random on the internet for whom every silver lining has a cloud!

Did we really concede 108 goals in the league last season?doh

5 minutes ago, RFC Eagle said:

so you'd throw together a defence that either have joined the club in the last week or so or aren't fully match fit rather than players who had played against and beaten Septic the previous season? I think I'll take the side of the manager and his coaching qualifications over a random on the internet for whom every silver lining has a cloud!

Did we really concede 108 goals in the league last season?doh

No I'd get players in fit to play now, Which a club our size should have done. The rest of the post from you is nonsense.

mediocrity is like a badge of honour for you.

Just watched the whole match again on BT and paid more attention to our defending.Holy Fuck it was even worse than I thought yesterday.Kiernan is absolutely shocking,his decision making and positioning are amateurish.His partner is slower than me and couldn't turnin the Sahara Desert.added to the fact our fullbacks are not the best at defending means we must sign a dominant CH before the league starts or its curtains.im a bit concerned that our management team may not realise the importance of this.

13 minutes ago, Smile said:

No I'd get players in fit to play now, Which a club our size should have done. The rest of the post from you is nonsense.

mediocrity is like a badge of honour for you.

Its still pre-season there are few match fit players available at this point in time. Your post is utter garbage as usual. What 'size' do you, genuinely, think the club is outside Scotland? I guess you want us signing the Kantes and Pogbas of the football world? 

Realism isn't mediocrity its be the best you can be in the reality of your situation. Unfortunately Rangers are currently competing financially with upper League One and Lower Championship English Football League sides. The size of the clubs fan base and History only gets you so far. Do I want Rangers fighting for the Champions League Trophy rather than the Group stages and Europa League? Of course I do but thats noit a reality and we must deal with where we are first and foremost.

Unless you have a couple of hundred million floating about we don't have the finances to be where the history and fan base of the club truly deserves. We can't go back to throwing cash around so have to build our way back. 

I believe the structures put in place recently have us on the right path and that there will be a stronger Rangers in the future with many many more trophies to come.

And, as an aside, we conceded 46 goals in 50 competitive games last season!