The current defence - A liability this season

Rambo1872

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well the way I see it, apart from the 2 of them losing the ability to run, jump, tackle, kick and head the ball,

The most worrying thing is that on Saturday it looked like they only met each other for the first time that morning, and not 2 players who have played and trained together for best part of a year!

For me the stand out problem is a lack of leadership at the back. Wes doesny seem to direct his defence and is not very commanding, i would argue gilks would do this. Wilson and kiernan lack the confidence and or experience to take responsibility, they don't seem to communicate well with full backs or midfielders. I hope that potentially hill, gilks and Barton will add to this by telling people where to be and what to do. Oddly as well, they don't seem to have that aggression you want from a cb, they are so casual you want a cb who almost celebrates a goal saving tackle and looks like his world has collapsed when they concede. I think Clint hill and Barton will make a huge differnece by adding some accountability.

On ‎16‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 5:23 PM, The Godfather said:

10 minutes ago, kyleh1872 said:

For me the stand out problem is a lack of leadership at the back. Wes doesny seem to direct his defence and is not very commanding, i would argue gilks would do this. Wilson and kiernan lack the confidence and or experience to take responsibility, they don't seem to communicate well with full backs or midfielders. I hope that potentially hill, gilks and Barton will add to this by telling people where to be and what to do. Oddly as well, they don't seem to have that aggression you want from a cb, they are so casual you want a cb who almost celebrates a goal saving tackle and looks like his world has collapsed when they concede. I think Clint hill and Barton will make a huge differnece by adding some accountability.

I think your captain should be providing that leadership at the back and all over the field considering he plays at the back and is part of this defence which is a " liability ". They play as a team,win as a team and get beat as a team.

There is a way of strengthening the back four, and that is by changing our style of play. Do people realise that at times we only had two players back? - there was one occasion where Wilson went up left, and Halliday and Kiernan became the back two; we are an attacking team with an increased burden on our defence. Teams are going to get chances against Rangers,but then we will definitely get chances against them. I thought that, apart from early on, we were never really troubled apart from set-pieces; certainly in open play our CBs kept their positions well and their players could never get the perfect header or shot on goal. At set-pieces the whole team have got to do a lot better.

once Barton and rossiter are on the park, teams will get far fewer chances against us. Thankfully, most teams in Scotland do not have the composure to take their chances, so were getting away with it currently.

I agree we are shaky at the back, however the games where we had a proper DM (think dom ball vs the tims), we actually were pretty solid. Defending set pieces is a massive concern, but hopefully we'll be less open at the back once we have a proper anchor infront of the back 4

On July 16, 2016 at 1:28 PM, Rangers Lady said:

If anything I think they are sticking to the tactics when common sense should kick in

Cup Final was the exact same problem in the opening minutes

Kiernan is so focused on not losing his own player, he offers no cover for Tav, I think Wallace had to come over v hivs at one point

We were better at corners today

Also well done Captain for not reacting to the exuberant wanker, who if wearing blue would be in the cells for the weekend, what an utter cunt to make of yourself

Wallace was dignity personified. He could see right through that comical twat and knew there's no need to get worked up against insignificant pseudo "hard men".

18 hours ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

This.  Germany play with two wing backs pushing up and always have players ready to drop back and cover.  Hopefully Barton can help fort our DM issues.  That said Ithe Wilson/Kiernan duo is always going to be an issue.   Think the question becomes which one to play alongside Hill.

I'd choose Wilson any day of the week. Don't really like to disparage our players (but I'm a bastard so here goes anyway ;-) but for me Keirnan just doesn't make the grade.