Barrie McKay.

tannerall

1 hour ago, Prso's headband said:

Nobody said that. Weve undervalued our players for years. Whilst over the other side Tierney was worth £8million after 5 games, then £15mill, then £30mill before the old firm:lol:

I assume Wanyama was on 60k a week before he moved for £12mill? No. 

We should be valuing our best assets at prices like this, its change to EPL teams and will boost us significantly. 

Not that am wishing our players away but we need to stop being happy with getting a tenth of the money some of our players went for over the past 10 years or so

Couldn't have put it better myself. The tims have made a killing off selling players for an inflated price. They may be deluded but the board listens to the demands of their fans and they are a lot better off for it.  Barrie is one of our most valuable assets. We must get as much money as we can for him. 

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

McKay has played a handful of games in the top flight, never played in Europe, he's only had a sporadic appearance on the international scene and has spent the majority of his career in the lower leagues in Scotland. If you think that warrants those kind of valuations then fair enough but be prepared to get laughed at.

Hypothetically...

I'm talking about reality here not wee made up situations in your head ffs :lol:

Well, in reality we sold Macleod for nearly a million when we were desperate for cash, he had never played in the top flight, never played in Europe, never played at senior international level, spent his whole career in the Scottish lower leagues and had never actually completed a full season.

Whether I think KingKirk valuation, 'amongst others on social media', is apt or not I fail to see how it embarrasses you, you also fail to be able to explain your embarrassment.

Don't be shy, it was just a hypothetical. McKay being highly sought after doesn't seem too outlandish, in my head anyway.

Just now, AlBear85 said:

Well, in reality we sold Macleod for nearly a million when he had never played in the top flight, never played in Europe, never played at senior international level and spent his whole career in the Scottish lower leagues.

Whether I think KingKirk valuation, 'amongst others on social media', is apt or not I fail to see how it embarrasses you, you also fail to be able to explain your embarrassment.

Don't be shy, it was just a hypothetical.

Bit of a difference between a million quid and ten times that amount is there not? Have you ever seen a player from up here go for that amount with the experience Barrie has so far? Yes or No?

Why does it matter to you if it embarrasses me or not or the reason for it? You certainly have a bit of creepiness about you

If we were to sell barry now then we would be doing very well to get 2-3 million IMO , a good couple of seasons here challenging and winning the league , getting a shot at Europe and putting in good performances and being a key player throughout all this and then we can maybe look at adding the 8-10 million price tags 

6 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

Bit of a difference between a million quid and ten times that amount is there not? Have you ever seen a player from up here go for that amount with the experience Barrie has so far? Yes or No?

Why does it matter to you if it embarrasses me or not or the reason for it? You certainly have a bit of creepiness about you

Well McKay has done more than Macleod in his career thus far.

Alan Hutton went for near £9 million after basically two full seasons at Scottish Premier league level. That's for a RB, an attacking midfielder/striker will easily command more. If McKay has an outstanding season and has a number of clubs interested in him he could fetch that easily.

It does embarrass you, that has been established in the thread, I'm just asking why. You can say no comment if you want.

Johan' point stands. Why is it embarrassing to you for Rangers fans to, in your opinion, "over-value" Rangers players online while other Scottish clubs pick up small fortunes for their players?

Hutton was playing in the top flight for a few seasons, had international experience and played in Europe. It's a totally different situation than that of Barrie. Also you factor into it Scottish football has nose dived since those days where the quality in the league is night and day from a decade ago.

A decent season in Scottish football today does not mean you go for £10 million quid :lol: We couldn't even fetch those figures for established international players with bags more experience than Barrie. We are not even in Europe and that's where you start getting the figures to rise when they perform well on the big stage.

What other club picks up fortunes for their players? The Tims? Aye because they have been playing in the top league and the players sold had been involved in regular European football both of which we have not...it's not hard to see the difference.

But aye £10 million quid :lol: 

Great player and I have always hoped that he would fulfil his potential.  Perhaps the period that he was out on loan has benefited him, we will never know.  The only criticism that I would have is that he does not head for the by-line often enough, would like him to take on the full back more and get in some quality crosses.

Just now, The Godfather said:

Hutton was playing in the top flight for a few seasons, had international experience and played in Europe. It's a totally different situation than that of Barrie. Also you factor into it Scottish football has nose dived since those days where the quality in the league is night and day from a decade ago.

A decent season in Scottish football today does not mean you go for £10 million quid :lol: We couldn't even fetch those figures for established international players with bags more experience than Barrie. We are not even in Europe and that's where you start getting the figures to rise when they perform well on the big stage.

What other club picks up fortunes for their players? The Tims? Aye because they have been playing in the top league and the players sold had been involved in regular European football both of which we have not...it's not hard to see the difference.

That's fair, it's your opinion. Doesn't embarrass me though.

21 minutes ago, cr3_bear said:

If we were to sell barry now then we would be doing very well to get 2-3 million IMO , a good couple of seasons here challenging and winning the league , getting a shot at Europe and putting in good performances and being a key player throughout all this and then we can maybe look at adding the 8-10 million price tags 

I rate McKay but the current standard of our league and never having any top level experience  2-3 million is about what we'd get.

Not many Scottish players will go for big money now as the league they play in is just not great as the standard in the last ten years has spiralled down dramatically,

Some player, he was probably my favourite player in Div 3, then after his loan spells I didnt think he was that good, I thought folk well over rated him at the start of last season but by the end of the season he'd turned me around, hes now one of my favourite players again, just shows what can happen with some determination and some proper instruction, hes a credit to himself, the Club and the coaching staff.

As my auld ma used to say...if you don't ask, you don't get.  I personally see no problem at all in recognising one of our players ability and over-inflating their value, especially if there are clubs sniffing around that are of the EPL variety then asking for stupid money is the most sensible business tactic...especially if we don't need to sell.

1 hour ago, The Godfather said:

McKay has played a handful of games in the top flight, never played in Europe, he's only had a sporadic appearance on the international scene and has spent the majority of his career in the lower leagues in Scotland. If you think that warrants those kind of valuations then fair enough but be prepared to get laughed at.

Hypothetically...

I'm talking about reality here not wee made up situations in your head ffs :lol:

Perhaps not the most experienced player in the world, but clubs down south are prepared to pay that kind of money for potential stars. (Not talking specifically about barrie.

Thought McKay was MOM last night.

Bossed the midfield his constant movement and inter play with Wallace was beautiful.

Plus another top drawer goal. I agree with Kingkirk he will be a target of EPL clubs at the end of this season.

21 minutes ago, bluenose48 said:

Thought McKay was MOM last night.

Bossed the midfield his constant movement and inter play with Wallace was beautiful.

Plus another top drawer goal. I agree with Kingkirk he will be a target of EPL clubs at the end of this season.

And WHEN an EPL comes calling we need to play by our rules.. MW has said that a couple of times.

Barrie is one of my favourite players and hope he continues to play the way he has for the last couple of games. Outstanding again last night with a fantastic strike to put the icing on the cake.

Hopefully he will be playing at Rangers for at least a couple of years yet, but if he does keep up this standard he will be targeted unfortunately.  How many £M's he would be worth then, is an argument for if and when the wealthy clubs come calling. 

2 hours ago, The Godfather said:

Wanyama and Vin Dijk went for over £10mill. Guaranteed league winners before a ball was kicked and pumped in Europe. 

Scottish football has declined but why should that stop us over valuing our players to get the best possible price when celtic manage it on a consistent basis? 

What's the difference? 

1 minute ago, Prso's headband said:

Wanyama and Vin Dijk went for over £10mill. Guaranteed league winners before a ball was kicked and pumped in Europe. 

Scottish football has declined but why should that stop us over valuing our players to get the best possible price when celtic manage it on a consistent basis? 

What's the difference? 

Played in the CL and impressed. Won titles and cups in the top flight.

Wanyama was part of the team who beat Barca in the group stages

If you cant see the difference in that then there's little point in continuing this.

Just now, The Godfather said:

Played in the CL and impressed. Won titles and cups in the top flight.

Wanyama was part of the team who beat Barca in the group stages

If you cant see the difference in that then there's little point in continuing this.

One game in Europe... Why do people talk about that like it is out of the ordinary. Underdogs winning happens. 

Couldn't win a treble without Rangers, titles were already won before a ball was kicked. 

Van Dijk has played in CL qualifiers that was it and went for £11mill. 

So based on your logic if we were playing Brondby tonight McKay would be worth £11mill because he has euro experience? About as much as Van Dijk who I'm almost sure won like 2 games, which were qualifiers. 

Just now, Prso's headband said:

One game in Europe... Why do people talk about that like it is out of the ordinary. Underdogs winning happens. 

Couldn't win a treble without Rangers, titles were already won before a ball was kicked. 

Van Dijk has played in CL qualifiers that was it and went for £11mill. 

So based on your logic if we were playing Brondby tonight McKay would be worth £11mill because he has euro experience? About as much as Van Dijk who I'm almost sure won like 2 games, which were qualifiers. 

Can you not read or something?

I said they had top flight experience, won titles and cups and played at the highest level in European football. There is night and day between what those players mentioned have been doing and winning than we have done in the past few seasons...there is just no debating that.

It wasn't one game either but there is little point because you are clearly too bitter to look past the obvious.

IF Barrie goes on to win titles, cups and take us into Europe and performs well on that stage then yes he can be talked about like the above and the value of him would increase ten fold but for now it's a bit early.

I hope that's clear enough for you.

14 hours ago, tannerall said:

Even with all the talent around him (Kranjcar :praise:) Barrie had a great all round performance and easily stood out as the MOM for me. 

His goal was superb, as was his enthusiasm and keenness to take the ball

However I was most impressed tonight by his backtracking to midfield and defence, covering the overlapping defender and he managed to get in a few great defensive tackles, breaking up their attack.

Totally agree, is work rate is fantastic, every time I see him i just get more impressed, he pings passes about and at times can dictate the attacks. His defensive work also excellent always back and can make good tackles as well, best player to wear a gers top for a good few years and he will only get better with a guy like Niko working with him everyday!

11 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

I said they had top flight experience, won titles and cups and played at the highest level in European football. There is night and day between what those players mentioned have been doing and winning than we have done in the past few seasons...there is just no debating that.

It wasn't one game either but there is little point because you are clearly too bitter to look past the obvious.

IF Barrie goes on to win titles, cups and take us into Europe and performs well on that stage then yes he can be talked about like the above and the value of him would increase ten fold but for now it's a bit early.

You like putting anything down that would benefit the club its hilarious. 

Can you not read? They won titles or cups with no competition, stop kidding yourself on like that's some sort of achievement and warrants them going for over £10mill. 

So they beat Barca twice did they? It was one game in which he scored against Barca and the celtic PR machine whipped into overdrive and peddled the £12mill pish until they got it. 

Obviously you just disregard the bit about Van Dijk, who hasn't played at the highest level of European football. 

Just now, Prso's headband said:

You like putting anything down that would benefit the club its hilarious. 

Can you not read? They won titles or cups with no competition, stop kidding yourself on like that's some sort of achievement and warrants them going for over £10mill. 

So they beat Barca twice did they? It was one game in which he scored against Barca and the celtic PR machine whipped into overdrive and peddled the £12mill pish until they got it. 

Obviously you just disregard the bit about Van Dijk, who hasn't played at the highest level of European football. 

It's not about who is in the league ya balloon :lol: It's got nothing to do with me or anyone else thinking it's an achievement or not winning them...the facts are they done so in the top flight which is a bigger feat than winning lower league ones...only a fool would say otherwise.

They won titles and cups plus played in Europe that's the difference I was alluding to when comparing them getting big fees for their players than us today with Barrie.

Wanyama was part of the team that beat Barca getting to the knockout stages so yeah it wasn't just one game...

25 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

He played against a team not that long ago that was full of players with top league/Euro/international experience... still ran rings around them and put a screamer past on of the most experienced keepers in the British game :pipe: 

The financial climate regarding English football has changed dramatically in the last couple of years and paying 10 million isn't actually that much for most of them.. they will pay that for potential. Experience costs a lot more than that.