Barrie McKay.

tannerall

A season smashing the tims this year and Barrie will be worth £7-8m, a good run in Europe and/or international level he will be worth £11-12m. Bear in mind he is a forward and they generally go for more and the mental nature of the English market will allow us to demand a bit more than 4-5 years ago. The fact he is an athlete, technically one of the best footballers in the country already, can pick a pass of any range, and will deliver a decent goal tally- IF he continues on his current trajectory he could be one of the best players to come out of Scotland in a long time. I could see him ending up in La Liga (I believe he could be that good)- how many Scottish players could you say that for over the past 30 years?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, borderbear said:

A season smashing the tims this year and Barrie will be worth £7-8m, a good run in Europe and/or international level he will be worth £11-12m. Bear in mind he is a forward and they generally go for more and the mental nature of the English market will allow us to demand a bit more than 4-5 years ago. The fact he is an athlete, technically one of the best footballers in the country already, can pick a pass of any range, and will deliver a decent goal tally- IF he continues on his current trajectory he could be one of the best players to come out of Scotland in a long time. I could see him ending up in La Liga (I believe he could be that good)- how many Scottish players could you say that for over the past 30 years?

That's what they said about Barry Ferguson, where did he end up at, Blackburn, Birmingham. McKay has got talent and hopefully he will develop a consistent final product, but until then.

There's a comfortable difference between what his talent deserves and what we will eventually get.

Even if he's the POTY I can't see us getting much more than 4 million for him (given our financial state), even if he has the talent of a 7+ million pound player.

6 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Van Dijk? Wanyama?

Both had  stints  on the continent. Both played with the tims in Europe, and both are big black athletic continentals. All this usually adds millions to a player. The record of 5ft 6inch tall Scots based players  in England is woeful in recent years. At some point English clubs  noticed the trend of complete mediocrity coming from up here.

3 hours ago, MisterC said:

I'd say he's at the £2m level at the moment but if he has a season like he did last season we can double that. Add in European action and more Scotland caps and he could well be a 7 or 8 million pound player 

If we'd accept £2million for him, we're fucked.

9 minutes ago, JockyWilsonspants said:

Both had  stints  on the continent. Both played with the tims in Europe, and both are big black athletic continentals. All this usually adds millions to a player. The record of 5ft 6inch tall Scots based players  in England is woeful in recent years. At some point English clubs  noticed the trend of complete mediocrity coming from up here.

So would Hazard be sold for less than Wagamamayama? <cr>:D 

Just now, Rangers_no1 said:

All of that has nothing to do with the post I quoted, to be fair.

Perhaps, but it was worth pointing out the difference between the value of McKay and the two players you mentioned. I'll start believing McKay is worth £10 million when he turns in a match winning performance or two against better opposition. Until then i'll just appreciate his value to our team and hope he continues  to improve.

9 minutes ago, LegendofCoop said:

So would Hazard be sold for less than Wagamamayama? <cr>:D 

No, because Hazard has Belgian genes. Belgian genetics now adds £20 million to the value of a  player.:541: I know you were joking about Hazard, but im being partly serious about the Belgian thing. Any muppet from Belgium these days is suddenly in danger of going for very big money. Belgians are the "in thing" in football at the moment - Belgians, Sub Saharan Africans and North Africans.

30 minutes ago, JockyWilsonspants said:

Ah the old Scottish mentality of the bigger they are the better they must be :lw:

I'm not convinced McKay is a winger tbh. He's not great at beating his man and it's his decisive passing that really makes him. 

I think he could well turn into a number 10 in the next few years. I wonder if he couldn't learn a thing or two from Kranjcar.

2 minutes ago, Creampuff said:

I'm not convinced McKay is a winger tbh. He's not great at beating his man and it's his decisive passing that really makes him. 

I think he could well turn into a number 10 in the next few years. I wonder if he couldn't learn a thing or two from Kranjcar.

Not having that, sorry. He could peg a mermaid.

20 hours ago, LegendofCoop said:

Agreed with the comments about being the most improved player in recent memory. But :lol::lol: @ anyone coming to the SPL willing to spend £10m+

In relative terms,if Barrie McKay is not worth £10 million then he isn't far off it.  I think he and Waghorn will develop even more in this coming season and will end up attracting attention from other clubs. The game against Burnley will be an indication of how good the both of them actually are,

16 minutes ago, Creampuff said:

I've thought about this recently.  He's not direct and that's not necessarily a bad thing in this team.  I hate to bring him up but I watched an interview with Rodgers a while back in which he said shooting with your first attack was a bad thing (it was more complex than that obviously) and probing from left to right was the preferred style.  McKay is perfect for our team and it doesn't seem to matter that he isn't direct in his style of play.  Patrick Roberts is direct but how many times does his wasted shots or greedy style give the opposition the ball back?  Is Roberts actually more effective than McKay?  Just something to bounce around the old noggin.

7 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

I've thought about this recently.  He's not direct and that's not necessarily a bad thing in this team.  I hate to bring him up but I watched an interview with Rodgers a while back in which he said shooting with your first attack was a bad thing (it was more complex than that obviously) and probing from left to right was the preferred style.  McKay is perfect for our team and it doesn't seem to matter that he isn't direct in his style of play.  Patrick Roberts is direct but how many times does his wasted shots or greed give the opposition the ball back?  Is Roberts actually more effective than McKay?  Just something to bounce around the old noggin.

When you compare him to O'halloran he isn't as direct. 

1 minute ago, RFCRobertson said:

When you compare him to O'halloran he isn't as direct. 

My point still stands.  Given the choice I think Warburton and Rodgers would prefer a McKay over a Roberts.  Both strongly believe in a possession based style of football and I think someone more direct causes frustration.