Barton

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A couple of slack passes but that can be forgiven. His movement was excellent. Anytime he seen Rob Kiernan move forward with the ball and slightly out of position he was dropping back to protect him and then shouting at him to get back in position once he'd passed the ball.

This guy will solve a lot of our defensive failings IMO.

15 minutes ago, DeanMK said:

A couple of slack passes but that can be forgiven. His movement was excellent. Anytime he seen Rob Kiernan move forward with the ball and slightly out of position he was dropping back to protect him and then shouting at him to get back in position once he'd passed the ball.

This guy will solve a lot of our defensive failings IMO.

Exactly what we need.

Still think we need a quality CB, but he along with Rossiter will give the likes of Kiernan and Wilson far more protection than anything they got last season.

1 hour ago, BF2 said:

Like Kranjcar he looked a bit rusty, understandably, but still looked a class above most other players on the park.  Still can't believe we've signed those two! 

Seen a picture on facebook which summed it up how far we have came 

who even up to two years ago thought we would see Barton being subbed on for krancjar in a rangers shirt . Exciting times ahead 

10 minutes ago, JockyWilsonspants said:

Yeah, his positioning was  great  to watch. It was interesting to see how a top class intelligent defensive midfielder positions himself on the pitch. Often  he pushed back barely ahead of the cb's.

I was looking very closely at his positioning and it shows the difference between a midfielder who doesn't suit that role asked to play there versus a natural.

He would very much sit just in front of the centre backs but most importantly would drop inline alongside hill when kiernan went forward or wide to challenge. He also never strayed too far forward. He'd play his pass and take a step back offering a fallback if required. Also at times it looked like he was the central defender in a back 3.

He looked composed but a little rusty but it's to be expected.

Also worth calling out the difference in halliday's performance post Barton sun. Played pretty much in Kranjcars position, he see,ed to enjoy the freedom going forward.

All in all Barton is a key signing as many of suspected a true DM would be.

He was also playing the occasion last night- he was making his debut, and came with a bit of hype, so he was desperate to impress. However, all that aside, it was evident that he has the quality to his range to be a big influence on the team, and once he settles down will be a very good player.

Most encouraging part for me was him barking instructions at everyone in front of defence. From a throw in. In Annans half. While they were making a substitution.

Just what we need , a commander in there. There was another moment as well, if anyone noticed it, where Waghorn came deep with the ball, lost his balance and got shrugged off it. Barton was right there to make the challenge within a second. Last season Halliday would have either went to sleep or stepped forward since it was a seemingly straightforward pass back for Waggy and we'd be left 2vs2. Barton was on hand to deal with a danger that probably had a 1/10 chance of coming to fruition. 

Hill seemed to metaphorically take Kiernan by the hand through the game last night as well. Can't really judge from last night, Annan offered nothing, but I think our communincation and organisation will be considerably better this season. 

3 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

Pretty well. Good range of passing, and definitely a talker / organiser. 

Few slack passes, but clearly a bit behind the rest in fitness. 

Agree with this and progressed from playing alongside / behind defence to patrolling in front.

A boss on the park, free kicks will be his if he fancies them.

Early days but you can tell his and Niko's vision are a class above.

I particularly liked a point in the game where he kept his positional discipline after losing possession.  He played a slack pass straight to an Annan player around the middle of the park. He then chased after the opposition player with the ball who then played the ball out to Annan's right hand side. What I liked came next. In my opinion most players would have chased the ball at this point trying to atone for their own mistake in giving the ball away. Instead Barton dropped deep in a central position and allowed our left side to deal with the threat from that side. This was entirely the right thing to do which kept our shape as the opposition tried to attack. As I said most players would have chased the ball which within one pass would have left a gaping hole right in front of our back two.

I'd still like to get another CB in but I don't think they are the main cause of our defensive problems. At times the two at the back have been badly exposed by their team mates. Barton I think will be important in helping others keep the team shape which will reduce the amount of times the back two get exposed.

36 minutes ago, Vanoli said:

Most encouraging part for me was him barking instructions at everyone in front of defence. From a throw in. In Annans half. While they were making a substitution.

Just what we need , a commander in there. There was another moment as well, if anyone noticed it, where Waghorn came deep with the ball, lost his balance and got shrugged off it. Barton was right there to make the challenge within a second. Last season Halliday would have either went to sleep or stepped forward since it was a seemingly straightforward pass back for Waggy and we'd be left 2vs2. Barton was on hand to deal with a danger that probably had a 1/10 chance of coming to fruition. 

Hill seemed to metaphorically take Kiernan by the hand through the game last night as well. Can't really judge from last night, Annan offered nothing, but I think our communincation and organisation will be considerably better this season. 

The old heads were all talking loud and strong last night and it was good to see.

Even near the end when Barton's first casualty was getting treated Kenny was having a word with a good few of the players. Just what is needed. :541:

4 hours ago, Vanoli said:

Summed up well. 

He was really deep. Hill and Barton are 100% going to help our defence out a lot.

4 hours ago, Bears r us said:

The old heads were all talking loud and strong last night and it was good to see.

Even near the end when Barton's first casualty was getting treated Kenny was having a word with a good few of the players. Just what is needed. :541:

(tu)

Spot on mate, their combined voices and experience will be invaluable this season and will help the younger lads develop, increasing our performances into the bargain.

the words of MW also ring loud and clear in his choice of players and it all seems part of his "They must fit a certain criteria before they can fit in at Rangers" philosophy, granted it's not a new philosophy, but one you also rightly highlighted is what in part is needed.

Barton is just one of a handful who will lead by example, and he did OK last night, and his part in the team bodes well for the future. 

:7325:

Commander!

Movement and positioning first class.

Organising everyone around him, the kind of player you want beside you.

Think he will give our attacking players a bit more confidence to play as they know things are covered if there's a miss placed pass etc... 

Not only this, he's always speaking, communicating and encouraging everyone around him. It's not just his skills as a footballer but his attitude, personality and experience that will benefit everyone. 

Like others said a few slack passes but this is understandable at this stage. 

39 minutes ago, Bobby Hume said:

(tu)

Spot on mate, their combined voices and experience will be invaluable this season and will help the younger lads develop, increasing our performances into the bargain.

the words of MW also ring loud and clear in his choice of players and it all seems part of his "They must fit a certain criteria before they can fit in at Rangers" philosophy, granted it's not a new philosophy, but one you also rightly highlighted is what in part is needed.

Barton is just one of a handful who will lead by example, and he did OK last night, and his part in the team bodes well for the future. 

:7325:

(tu) I would not like the job of picking the team when all the new players are available but then I am not paid to.

I am sure most on here are delighted about that. :thumbup:

As soon as he ran onto the park he immediately pointed for  Andy to move forward and then he took up position just in front of the two central defenders and from there he played  a mainly simple short passing game which combined with his positional sense meant that he had a quiet but effective start to his Rangers career other than a crunching tackle he made after he'd lost possession  and free kick that I thought he had scored with from where I was sitting.