Corners and Crosses

Broxi

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were actually really predictable last night. There were corners where we had the centre backs forward and the ball was lofted in but whenever they stayed back it was played short. Will be easy to predict our corners if that's our approach.

38 minutes ago, NeoGeo7 said:

We were actually really predictable last night. There were corners where we had the centre backs forward and the ball was lofted in but whenever they stayed back it was played short. Will be easy to predict our corners if that's our approach.

Got it in one!

That predictability is why we don't break down opponents as often as our possession stats suggest we should.

Also allows them a foothold in the game, when an early breakthrough (for all his other faults, Jig seemed to be very adept at breaking the deadlock with an early, towering header) would force them to come out, giving us more space to work in.

14 hours ago, Broxi said:

I was replying to his previous 2 posts towards me

I know, it's not directed at you, just an example.

Mods have pinned it, I'm guilty of it myself

Out in the real world I would never speak to a fellow Ranger the way many do in here.

Some threads are consumed by insults, default set to look for the negative

When you break it down, our current style of play (i believe) will make us a much better team. Think Warbs plays the percentage game in a way, wacking a ball into the box without a clear target you maybe have what a 1 in 20 chance of scoring a goal from it due to all the possible eventualities. I too sometimes get frustrated that we "arsenal" it a bit much and seem to try and walk it into the net. I think playing this type of system it is important to get the balance of it right, if you go too far down the be patient and wait for the clear cut chance route, you can end up being like Arsenal, but if warbs can get them to a point where we play patient and controlled football but we are dominating the game and not quite scoring we have to start taking more risks put more balls in the box, have a shot etc. IF you get the right balance of this style of football you can be clinical and very difficult to beat. And I am more worried about our defence i think we will always score a goal in a game but last season and in the Motherwell game, everytime we are defending my heart is in my mouth 

Even the best managers play back to front from time to time . 

.It seems that option is outlawed under Warbs  

The use of the whipped in free kick will be used to cause havoc against our defence this season .

Strangely enough .It hasn't been something our manager believes can be fruitful it seems .

My only criticism of him 

I agree with the OP @broxi  if im honest, i have noticed this in a lot of modern football, a prime example would be England in the euros over playing little triangles without a cross at the end of it,the ball going front to back side to side... for me the cross I'm referring too is when a player beats his man gets near the by-line and whips a ball in (not lofted or dinked or punted or lobbed ) WHIPPED with pace at chest height. We would definitely score more goals .....ive watched and played the game for long enough to see that it works.

Not saying change anything, just don't be scared to mix it up

Last season was the first in the last 4 that we actually managed to beat the first defender with a corner, so it's not that bad. I quite like it. The opposition players all crowd the box waiting on a cross coming in that rarely happens, we play it short and the defenders all step out a bit and leave gaps to be exploited by short accurate passing and GOAL!!!!!