Corners and Crosses

Broxi

Anyone else pretty annoyed at the lack of crosses into the box? I feel like we'd score a lot more goals if we put the ball in more often. I actually lost count how many times McKay had the ball out wide and we had 4 players in the box and it just goes back to the DM or even centre backs. And then the corners end up the same. It's not like you need a team full of basketball players for it work, Windass, Waghorn, Kranjcar, Miller, Halliday, Kiernan, Hill, Wallace will all be able to get a head on things if it went in. Could have created at least 8 more chances last night. Feel like we're too worried about losing possession that we're missing a lot of goalscoring opportunities 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think people know what they want.

They bitched about us putting the ball in the box as often as possible, now we play with patience and guile some bitch we aren't putting the ball in the box as often as possible.

Would I like to see our CB score a goal or two from corners? Yes, but it's not our style. A style implemented under Warburton thus far that has been very successful. 

A question often asked on here previously, that was difficult to answer, was 'what is the Rangers way?'. Well, we are watching it right now and tbh I'm enjoying watching it.

2 minutes ago, Vanoli said:

To be honest, we put more in than usual last night. 

I can only remember Hodson's header and one ball Barton floated in from outside the box. McKay had 4 men waiting in the box at least 5 times and it just goes back to Kiernan/Hill

Statistically a team playing a team of relatively equal skill will only score from a corner every ten games (quote - the Numbers Game by Chris Anderson & David Sally) So maybe that is why we don't play balls in to the box at corners. The book also quotes that was the reason that the recent great Spanish side didn't cross the ball & not as everyone thought due to the size of their players.

It's our philosophy. Retain possession, 'care' for the football. 

I'm sure I saw a stat for this Euros that only 1 (or maybe 2) goals came direct from corners, and 3 came from short corners worked into a scoring position.

i would say that last night we regularly had more people in the box, and attempted more crosses (although more cut backs, than head height).

Played well and made chances. I'm a happy man. 

21 minutes ago, Broxi said:

I can only remember Hodson's header and one ball Barton floated in from outside the box. McKay had 4 men waiting in the box at least 5 times and it just goes back to Kiernan/Hill

McKay and MOH went for several cut backs, hodsons header, put 2/3 corners in the box, niko dinked a couple from deep - thats more than our usual. 

And McKay is our best player a the moment. 

15 minutes ago, Vanoli said:

McKay and MOH went for several cut backs, hodsons header, put 2/3 corners in the box, niko dinked a couple from deep - thats more than our usual. 

And McKay is our best player a the moment. 

Cut backs aren't really crosses, usually when a player has been played through and hits the byline. Kranjcar's dinks aren't crosses either. I mean when McKay is sitting with the ball at his feet out wide on his right foot, for an actual cross. Did we really put 2/3 corners in the box? Maybe a few passes along the ground to runners, which is fine, probably a better method when it's on, but hardly any actual crosses for a headed opportunity.

Also I'm not blaming this on McKay, definitely our best player at the moment, this is from what he's told to do. Not a big deal as long as we're winning, but I feel this could have been the difference between a 2-0 win and 4-0 win. I just hope we can still get past Aberdeen, Hearts and Celtic as comfortably without needing to put the ball in the box. 

4 minutes ago, Broxi said:

Also I'm not blaming this on McKay, definitely our best player at the moment, this is from what he's told to do. Not a big deal as long as we're winning, but I feel this could have been the difference between a 2-0 win and 4-0 win. I just hope we can still get past Aberdeen, Hearts and Celtic as comfortably without needing to put the ball in the box. 

giphy.gif

Just now, Lidl said:

It's not our style of play so you should just get used to it unfortunately.

If you prefer to watch hammer thrower football go watch Motherwell or some other shite outfit. 

There's nothing hammer thrower about getting the ball down the sides quickly turning their defence and wiping a ball into the box. 

1 hour ago, Broxi said:

Anyone else pretty annoyed at the lack of crosses into the box? I feel like we'd score a lot more goals if we put the ball in more often. I actually lost count how many times McKay had the ball out wide and we had 4 players in the box and it just goes back to the DM or even centre backs. And then the corners end up the same. It's not like you need a team full of basketball players for it work, Windass, Waghorn, Kranjcar, Miller, Halliday, Kiernan, Hill, Wallace will all be able to get a head on things if it went in. Could have created at least 8 more chances last night. Feel like we're too worried about losing possession that we're missing a lot of goalscoring opportunities 

Shut it ya winging prick. We did more last night that normal. 

8 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

From corners, agree with you OP.

And if it's not our way why bring the CHs up and leave ourselves makeshift defence at the back?

Not looking for it every time but as a variation with a whipped cross  now we have a bit more height and presence about us.

Yeah this is what I don't get, if our wingers aren't going to cross the ball why are we putting 4/5 players in the box? And corners as well, you're right, why bother sending the defence up and leaving us exposed.

Dodoo is going to add more height to the team as well now.

27 minutes ago, Broxi said:

Cut backs aren't really crosses, usually when a player has been played through and hits the byline. Kranjcar's dinks aren't crosses either. I mean when McKay is sitting with the ball at his feet out wide on his right foot, for an actual cross. Did we really put 2/3 corners in the box? Maybe a few passes along the ground to runners, which is fine, probably a better method when it's on, but hardly any actual crosses for a headed opportunity.

Regardless of how it gets into the box it can be considered a cross. Stop being a welt 

Just now, Dan Deacon said:

Regardless of how it gets into the box it can be considered a cross. Stop being a welt 

Well that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. We've heard your opinion, get the fuck out the thread now, cheers.

1 hour ago, Tom0411 said:

Statistically a team playing a team of relatively equal skill will only score from a corner every ten games (quote - the Numbers Game by Chris Anderson & David Sally) So maybe that is why we don't play balls in to the box at corners. The book also quotes that was the reason that the recent great Spanish side didn't cross the ball & not as everyone thought due to the size of their players.

Not a doubt in my mind that MW is using this type of thinking - he isn't making the decision not to cross on a whim.  It will be chances created as a result of retaining the ball versus swinging it in.

45 minutes ago, Broxi said:

Yeah this is what I don't get, if our wingers aren't going to cross the ball why are we putting 4/5 players in the box?

I can only guess it's too leave the opponents guessing as to what our next move will be and also to draw attention away from the real goal threats.