Our hardest players

EMRFC

With Joey Barton being a hard man and with him making his debut for us this week, got me thinking as to who are our toughest ever players. I can think of Graeme Souness, Duncan Ferguson and maybe David Weir. Anyone else? 

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, EMRFC said:

With Joey Barton being a hard man and with him making his debut for us this week, got me thinking as to who are our toughest ever players. I can think of Graeme Souness, Duncan Ferguson and maybe David Weir. Anyone else? 

Ian Ferguson probably the most notable absentee, can only really comment from the 90s onwards.

Ricksen was tough as well (and still is with his battle against motor neurones).

When you think of a hard man you generally think of a snarling, intimidating, angry, shouting type and all of the above tend to fit that category to an extent. However, in terms of sheer power and strength and willingness to put his body on the line, big Marv has to be a shout. Not your stereotypical "hard man" if you like but he's certainly one not to fuck with. Fuck going toe to toe with the big guy. Such a thoroughly decent bloke though which makes him all the more fascinating. He'd fuck you up then pick you up afterwards! And if he got smashed himself he'd just get up, dust himself down then smile as if nothing had happened! Absolute tank of guy!

14 minutes ago, Laudrup1984 said:

When you think of a hard man you generally think of a snarling, intimidating, angry, shouting type and all of the above tend to fit that category to an extent. However, in terms of sheer power and strength and willingness to put his body on the line, big Marv has to be a shout. Not your stereotypical "hard man" if you like but he's certainly one not to fuck with. Fuck going toe to toe with the big guy. Such a thoroughly decent bloke though which makes him all the more fascinating. He'd fuck you up then pick you up afterwards! And if he got smashed himself he'd just get up, dust himself down then smile as if nothing had happened! Absolute tank of guy!

I loved Big Marv..

He wasn't a hard man - he just let people be "touched" by his faith!

I always remember one Hibs game at Ibrox where that big lanky Hibs Striker that was a bit of cult hero for them picked up the ball on the half way line and started to drive down the left wing. He put his head down and started motoring which was his big mistake!!

Everybody in the entire ground could see what was about to happen except him. Cue big Marv making an intercepting run with about 20 yards to get up to speed and absolutely crunched the guy with a completely clean well timed tackle that took ball, man and everything. The poor guy never saw it coming but we all did!

It was just utter class!

EDIT - I think Amadou Konte was his name

3 minutes ago, NeoGeo7 said:

though I don't recall him getting into many bust ups the guy was tough as nails and epitomised everything we are about...;

d123cd928db148ba308c66737df848df.jpg

_40813090_prso203pa.jpg

bandaged noggin on at least two separate occasions

In his own words he was a "warrior" for the club when he pulled that shirt on. He was something special for us.

Loved the goal up at Aberdeen in the absolute soaking rain. sliding goal celebration.

To be honest modern day players for the past 25 years are pussys compared to the hard men of the past.

Sorry if it sounds patronising but anyone under the age of 40 has never seen a proper hard man in in a Rangers shirt.