Our hardest players

EMRFC

65 years of following the gers and nobody comes anywhere near Harold Davis.just ask Bertie Auld ,told me he was absolutely terrified of the big man after big Harry lifted him up off the ground by his beard in front of the jungle.said the screw tops were flying around them as Harry gave him dogs abuse.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Corky True Legend said:

I missed Woodburn so have to say Harold Davis was the hardest I saw. I remember one European Cup match where an opposition playr chased Henderson. He was catching him until Davis stepped in between them. Game over (may have been Scott but I am pretty sure it was Henderson).

I remember that but thought it was JG that rescued him. Was it against Slavia Sofia in the semi final  of the cup winners cup? Not only taking the piss with his play but started giving them verbals and a guy came after him so he legged it.:D:D:D:D My favourite player both then and now.

Hurlock would be the top of the players I've watched personally.  This is not in any way influenced by meeting the man in the hotel he was staying in while we were at a works Christmas function. Came across as a really nice guy, nothing like the player he was 

3 hours ago, Ozblue said:

I only saw Big Ben play a few times before he got Sin die, but I can confirm that anybody silly enough to take a swing at big Woodburn had indeed committed a fatal mistake. :D I'm not sure whether the tale concerning Woodburn chasing a guy was true or not, but I would be surprised if the guy concerned got away from the big man.

It was ironic that Woodburn was the last man in British football to be banned  'Sin Die' for retaliation, because he was never a dirty player; and in fact in his first 10 years at Ibrox he never was sent off or even got booked.woodburn.jpg

My old man was always of the belief that a lot of the ill feeling between Rangers and Aberdeen was down to the fact that the Aberdeen chairman cast the decisive vote which resulted in WW being sin die. Again not sure how accurate that is but perhaps someone could shed some light on it.Seemingly there was some story about it in a book by ex SFA chairman George Graham.Always tried to find a copy of said book but alas never had any joy.

Tam Forsyth

Graeme Souness

Graham Roberts

Terry Hurlock

Never seen Forsyth play but my dad used to tell me when he was playing the first thing a forward did when he received the ball was to look and see if he could see Forsyth coming, because he knew he'd be getting hit and hard.

Remember Roberts taking a long throw in a European game and nutting the guy who was standing on the touch line trying to stop him.

Hurlock was quite simply an animal ;)

Today's footballers are pussy's in comparison.

Some players mentioned were more dirty than hard and there's a big difference. Wouldn't like to have been on the end of an Andrews cruncher but for me John Greig was hard as nails and would usually try for the ball,although maybe miss timed it a few times against the tims. 

1 hour ago, Big Al II said:

Tam Forsyth

Graeme Souness

Graham Roberts

Terry Hurlock

Never seen Forsyth play but my dad used to tell me when he was playing the first thing a forward did when he received the ball was to look and see if he could see Forsyth coming, because he knew he'd be getting hit and hard.

Remember Roberts taking a long throw in a European game and nutting the guy who was standing on the touch line trying to stop him.

Hurlock was quite simply an animal ;)

Today's footballers are pussy's in comparison.

Pretty sure the Graham Roberts incident was the Davie Cooper testimonial against Bordeaux

1-Greig 

2-Forsyth 

3- John Brown 

I remember Rangers playing Arsenal at Ibrox , could have been for the opening of the Centenary Stand . Well it was meant to be a friendly but Arsenal had a hard man called Peter Storey who was putting it about and kicking a few of our players . Big John had a word but Storey persisted in kicking anyone who moved . Big John tackled him 5 min later and Storey was strechered off the park 

10 hours ago, scottyscott1963 said:

Had to be Bobby Shearer for me, but thanks to every contribution as this has brought back serious memories for me. Laughed out loud at the Marvin Andrews comment about the hibs striker whos name was Amadou Konte and the big man stiffened him good style.We have been blessed with some of the finest footballers who turned out to be fans once they joined our club. :uk: Seem to remember our own Assistant Manager grabbing Caldwell round the neck and looking like he was going to throttle the cunt. SDOW :541: 

The AM was sent off for the softest head butt ever, in the infamous game where Hertz ended up with 7 men!?

12 hours ago, sammy cox said:

My old man was always of the belief that a lot of the ill feeling between Rangers and Aberdeen was down to the fact that the Aberdeen chairman cast the decisive vote which resulted in WW being sin die. Again not sure how accurate that is but perhaps someone could shed some light on it.Seemingly there was some story about it in a book by ex SFA chairman George Graham.Always tried to find a copy of said book but alas never had any joy.

Well sammy, your old man was wrong in his belief but I can see why he got a bit mixed up. The reality is that on August 1954 Woodburn stuck the nut on that prick,Alec Paterson of Stirling Albion right at the end of the game (He deserved it) and the SFA convened a disciplinary meeting the following month that lasted a FULL 4 MINUTES. I would have to imagine that Charles B.Forbes, the Aberdeen chairman could have been on that committee, but whether he was or wasn't is immaterial to who was finally responsible for getting Willie Woodburn Sin die.

The vote was 50/50 and the decision was only reached with the casting vote by the chairman of the referee’s committee, John Robbie, who just so happened to come from......Aberdeen; So there is the reason your old man got confused. :pipe: