5 Years Ago We signed Captain Lee Wallace

Lee Wallace was a 23 year old lad who had been playing with Hearts for 7 years (joining them in July of 2004). Come the 22nd of June 2011, we started making bids for him. The first being a £300,000 bid which was promptly rejected by hearts (the final cost would go on to be 5 times this amount). Bucking up our ideas we offered 1 million, but Hearts had put a £3 million price tag on him. 

A month later, a bid was accepted (1.5m) and Lee Wallace was official a Ranger and Ally McCoist's second signing of the summer. Wallaces first goal for us came against St Mirren and his second nearly came against Celtic just four days later on his Old Firm debut. (Match officials error).

However he would get that goal against the tims and on the 25th of March, he got that goal. and boy, did he feel good about it.

giphy.gif

It was at this point Lee Wallace was faced with a choice, he could abandon the Rangers ship that was going to the 3rd division and focus on his own career, domestically and nationally. or he could stay with the club, losing a chunk of money, name on a shirt and giving us decent stadiums for Astroturf and long distances all over the place. and he chose the latter. Lee Wallace stayed. At this point Lee Wallace would become vice captain under Lee McCulloch (who was still captain) but following his departure, he took up the mantle of being club captain. It was in the lower leagues where his trademark charging runs from left-back would take shape, giving him a fine quality and a headache for many defenders. 

He would be a start player and Player of the year in 2015/16 and rightfully so due to his class both on and off the pitch. He style of football flourishing under the football Mr Warburton pushes. 

Here's to the Captain :cheers:

EDIT: I wonder who can tell me, a famous Rangers player who also signed on the 21 July. As a hint, he turned down Barcelona to play against Falkirk. 

Great loyal servant to the club no doubt, but I would prefer our captain to be a bit more vocal on the field to be honest. I reckon Barton will do more organisation on the field than Wallace next season.

13 minutes ago, FSM said:

Great loyal servant to the club no doubt, but I would prefer our captain to be a bit more vocal on the field to be honest. I reckon Barton will do more organisation on the field than Wallace next season.

As long as Lee Wallace remains at our club then he's the captain in my eyes, wouldn't want anyone else.

One of McCoist's very few successes during his tenure.  Lee is a credit to Rangers on and off the park and has developed in to a fine full back.  The passion he has shown for our club and his loyalty to us throughout the lower divisions makes him a Rangers legend in my eyes.  Happy 5th Anniversary Lee :praise: