What's your favourite Rangers shirt?

2 hours ago, William McBeath said:

Who is that mate? If you know of course. Is that Ibrox in the background? It looks like it to me with what I have seen of the roof part but never seen a photo that shows the terraces so well and just wondering how the hell you could get 118,000 into that as it looks a lot more shallow than you would expect.

It's Eric Caldow, one of Rangers greatest players wearing the definitive Rangers strip!

It is Ibrox in the background! it was a big bowl, first pic below shows it full , must be early '60's or before as Ibroxholm Oval is not there in the back ground just the spare ground where it was built, and the railway is also there. You can also see, in the Broomloan Road end, the entrance ramp to the terracing on the left and the stairs on the right, my dad and I used to go in that entrance as it was closer to home, ( before anyone says, "it's the opposition end", you could walk right round in those days!:D), but when my grandfather was with us we went in at the Copland Road end as he lived on that side.

Second picture shows Ibrox empty, like a lot of stadiums at the time it was a bowl. This would be taken in the '60's as there are 2 of the 3 multis of Ibroxholm Oval in the background, can't tell if they are just being constructed or not.

Shallow or not?, the pictures show the vastness of the stadium and the capacity it could take, (and to a young boy at the time, it was massive!!!).

111111111_zpsxahq40m9.jpg

br661_zpscsyy2cla.jpg

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, William McBeath said:

Inigo is that a Turkish boat and Greek saying above it? Sorry but not that I can tell for sure just judging on a quick glance of what I see here. Just wondering? The boat's structure looks unusual to me. Not that I'm technical but take a wee interest because my family go back a long time in shipbuilding. I mean those shelf like parts at the side.

Greek ship mate. I have a little bit of a passsion for all things Greek, especially ancient history.

The ship is the Olympias. An Athenian trireme (properly triere, actually, but commonly trireme) warship reconstruction as part of a piece of experimental archaeology. She's a beauty, isn't she?

They were manned by 170 rowers  (as well as marines and other crew) and had 3 banks of oars, hence the name. The weapon of choice for Greeks, and others, around the 7th to 4th centuries BC. Fast, agile, beautiful, with a battering ram as the main weapon. Preceeded by penteconters and biremes, and succeeded by quadriremes and quinqueremes.

The Athenian ones fucked the Persians at Salamis, thus helping to ensuring the flourishing of classical Athens and that Greek culture would be the basis of our European culture. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympias_(trireme)

The Greek phrase was supposedly uttered by the cynic philosopher Diogenes of Sinope to Alexander the Great. When asked by Alexander (who had gone to visit him in Corinth because he admired him and was curious of him, and had found him lazing in the sun, as he was want to do) if he could do anything for him, Diogenes replied 'Yes. Stand a little out of my sun'... Apò toû hēlíou metástēthi.

14 minutes ago, rbt1548 said:

It's Eric Caldow, one of Rangers greatest players wearing the definitive Rangers strip!

It is Ibrox in the background! it was a big bowl, first pic below shows it full , must be early '60's or before as Ibroxholm Oval is not there in the back ground just the spare ground where it was built, and the railway is also there. You can also see, in the Broomloan Road end, the entrance ramp to the terracing on the left and the stairs on the right, my dad and I used to go in that entrance as it was closer to home, ( before anyone says, "it's the opposition end", you could walk right round in those days!:D), but when my grandfather was with us we went in at the Copland Road end as he lived on that side.

Second picture shows Ibrox empty, like a lot of stadiums at the time it was a bowl. This would be taken in the '60's as there are 2 of the 3 multis of Ibroxholm Oval in the background, can't tell if they are just being constructed or not.

Shallow or not?, the pictures show the vastness of the stadium and the capacity it could take, (and to a young boy at the time, it was massive!!!).

br661_zpscsyy2cla.jpg

Good post.

Further to Wlliam's question, the terracing appears "shallow" because the part which happens to be in the Eric Caldow photo was shallower than the rest of the ground as the terracing was cut away in that particular corner due to the railway running behind it. The railway embankment was eventually filled in with rubble from the old terracing when the stadium was redeveloped between 1978 and 1981.

2 hours ago, bluchoo said:

Love this home shirt and still wear it to games. Was our shirt when we started in the 3rd division so loves what it represents.

Favourite away although i do like the red and white stripe from 10/11

Screenshot_20160724-080328.png

Screenshot_20160724-080734.png

That away top was my first Rangers top. The parents got me it as soon as it came out but Umbro had mistakenly done a batch with the sleeves on the wrong sides, which I got. Probably would have been a cool thing to keep if it hadn't been for the bright spark parents getting my Aunt to take the sleeves off and sew them on the proper sides! ?

3 hours ago, William McBeath said:

:541:

For the blue one anyway but definitely if you mean that blue and orange vertical striped one with McEwan's Lager on it. Probably the 2nd or 3rd best top I've had. Between that and the blue criss cross diamond one you posted about above. Although for me its probably behind that away top on pure beauty but that home top probably beats any away top because it just screams 'Rampant Rangers'. Brings back memories where we could compete with just about anyone and I mean outwith Britain. I don't even think I cast a glance down south back then, it was really only your AC Milan, Juventus, or Ajax that made me take notice. Everything else was riff raff :lol:

Sky and all cable TV channels needs bombed for destroying football and dislodging us as a premier team. Surely sports should be protected from this commercial nonsense?  Lot of shite what's going on now. Imagine the likes of Everton or Watford being able to buy our players let alone a team that has achieved as much as Ajax. Fucking nonsense and I will never respect the European achievements of such teams anymore.

Denying young Bears their Laudrups. Bastards :p20:

I'm always a bit right-wing when I'm hungover mate so maybe they just need told rather than bombed :)

I agree with all of that bud don't worry about that it's sad the way money has ripped the heart out of football but it is what it is now and we can only hope that MW gets us bk into Europe to have our famous nights against the teams with money at ibrox and try and compete with them. 

10 hours ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

I hate this one with a passion.  Shite collar on it and that wouldn't tuck down.  It was also exactly the same as the France international top and felt like bit of a rip off.

I did like it, you're right about the collar though but I didn't mind that - because it did the same  to my heros :P 

57 minutes ago, rbt1548 said:

br661_zpscsyy2cla.jpg

Cheers mate but dispense with the condescending use of ! :lol: 

I know the name Caldow well enough. I admit I have not read a football book since I was in my twenties but I come from a family that made ships nearly as far back as when wood was used. I never understood enough to question my grandfather right enough before he died and its a big regret now because I will never know now how far back we go when it comes to Rangers. My uncles say at least before Morton as far as they know but that was when we were well on the road. We came from Anderston but worked in Govan so who knows with Ibrox being so close.    

I knew it was Ibrox but I'm sort of drunk and it looked a lot more narrow from that angle than I've seen before. Excellent photos though by the way. Its amazing to think just how much the terraces allowed for numbers. The main stand on the bottom one also looks the same as I remember from when I started going. Still remember the old wooden seats above the west enclosure where my grandfather would take me. Great memories although your right, I never did see Caldow lol 

1 hour ago, harlands plater said:

Good post.

Further to Wlliam's question, the terracing appears "shallow" because the part which happens to be in the Eric Caldow photo was shallower than the rest of the ground as the terracing was cut away in that particular corner due to the railway running behind it. The railway embankment was eventually filled in with rubble from the old terracing when the stadium was redeveloped between 1978 and 1981.

Cheers mate was just me doing the old eyeball test and thinking about the huge numbers lol

Oh and also your a jammy bastard to be old enough to have been there :)

Henderson :drool:

11 minutes ago, William McBeath said:

Cheers mate but dispense with the condescending use of ! :lol: 

Condescending????????? Jeezo!, the things people read into!

It was a light hearted pop regarding the easy accusation on here of being something you're not for being in/going into that end of the ground!

1 hour ago, Inigo said:

Greek ship mate. I have a little bit of a passsion for all things Greek, especially ancient history.

The ship is the Olympias. An Athenian trireme (properly triere, actually, but commonly trireme) warship reconstruction as part of a piece of experimental archaeology. She's a beauty, isn't she?

They were manned by 170 rowers  (as well as marines and other crew) and had 3 banks of oars, hence the name. The weapon of choice for Greeks, and others, around the 7th to 4th centuries BC. Fast, agile, beautiful, with a battering ram as the main weapon. Preceeded by penteconters and biremes, and succeeded by quadriremes and quinqueremes.

The Athenian ones fucked the Persians at Salamis, thus helping to ensuring the flourishing of classical Athens and that Greek culture would be the basis of our European culture. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympias_(trireme)

The Greek phrase was supposedly uttered by the cynic philosopher Diogenes of Sinope to Alexander the Great. When asked by Alexander (who had gone to visit him in Corinth because he admired him and was curious of him, and had found him lazing in the sun, as he was want to do) if he could do anything for him, Diogenes replied 'Yes. Stand a little out of my sun'... Apò toû hēlíou metástēthi.

Cheers mate, knew that was some structure for a boat. No expert and was denied my vocation by Thatcher, although I'm kind of happy about it now, but my old papa was mad about boats and stuff but I don't think I have ever seen one like that before. I see what you mean and was wondering what the fuck that was at the front. Wouldn't mind actually learning about ancient Greece. Informed much of our modes of reasoning today. I was denied the chance to study philosophy because the cunts at Strathclyde closed down the department. But of course lots of it would come through in other subjects and without being able to remember for sure but is it called the dialogues where Socrates demolishes all the thinkers of the day in the Republic by simply reducing their ideas backwards to their biased roots. Not sure if that's right but remember an old professer going over a lot of it and it was funny and and clever as fuck. Is that cynic the one who gave away all his dough? Remember short sort of talks on individuals but to be honest all that mattered to me by that stage was the modern industrial period and the thoughts of people like E.P Thompson and Marx. Got to laugh now right enough but it was all good at the time and still helps me see beyond a lot of nonsense. That reductionism does work :) Although people never thank you for going backwards  and exploring the seeds of their prejudices. I'm not sure though if that is Socrates right enough. Fuck knows it was that long ago now. No doubt cunts will rip the pish out of this post mate but I am ripped and liked your answer lol

It is a distinctive looking ship, must have made the cunts facing it wonder what the fuck was coming at them. Sometimes I see things like the pyramids and achievements of the Incas and wonder if something has been hidden from us. Same with these Greek philosophers. Seem millenniums ahead of their times. Strange old world.

49576985.jpg

42 minutes ago, rbt1548 said:

Condescending????????? Jeezo!, the things people read into!

It was a light hearted pop regarding the easy accusation on here of being something you're not for being in/going into that end of the ground!

Chill brother, we cool :D

Funny you should say that though as even as a boy I sort of thought of the Broomloan as being the away end. I was over twenty by the time I went there and that was only because it was the family section. It is mad that to consider a part of your own stadium as not your own. Maybe we are nutters though but seemed a widespread feeling when I was young. I'm talking nineties though. Now its the loudest section of the ground lol

My heart will always be in the east enclosure although it is terrible for atmosphere these days. I hope the club brings it back with this new age standing stuff.

1 hour ago, William McBeath said:

Cheers mate was just me doing the old eyeball test and thinking about the huge numbers lol

Oh and also your a jammy bastard to be old enough to have been there :)

Henderson :drool:

The main consolation of being one of the. er, more mature members is the memories I and guys of my age have. The players, the stadium, the games, even the strips.

Just now, harlands plater said:

The main consolation of being one of the. er, more mature members is the memories I and guys of my age have. The players, the stadium, the games, even the strips.

Was it just bad scouting or were we just tight with money mate? I say that in relation to the players who went down south and win all those European trophies with English clubs? Just thinking back to the way we dumped the likes of Forrester for the Berwick result and went with a defender up front. Mad that we still took it to extra time but it still pisses me off to think our owners were that stupid at the time. I suppose Scotland produced that many good players back then that nobody really gave a damn and just thought it would always be that way. I just cant help looking at all those players who went down south and won all sorts. Even that royal rumble Newcastle lot of 69 had about five Scots in it. Yet all these cunts down here rise up at the idea of us joining their precious league. Seems to me we have gave them a hell of a lot when it comes to football. Surely our clubs would have won more if we'd managed to keep most of these players. Not sure if we were cheap skates but looking at the Baxter affair I wouldn't be surprised if our old shareholders and owners made fortunes out of us.

5 hours ago, William McBeath said:

:541:

For the blue one anyway but definitely if you mean that blue and orange vertical striped one with McEwan's Lager on it. Probably the 2nd or 3rd best top I've had. Between that and the blue criss cross diamond one you posted about above. Although for me its probably behind that away top on pure beauty but that home top probably beats any away top because it just screams 'Rampant Rangers'. Brings back memories where we could compete with just about anyone and I mean outwith Britain. I don't even think I cast a glance down south back then, it was really only your AC Milan, Juventus, or Ajax that made me take notice. Everything else was riff raff :lol:

Sky and all cable TV channels needs bombed for destroying football and dislodging us as a premier team. Surely sports should be protected from this commercial nonsense?  Lot of shite what's going on now. Imagine the likes of Everton or Watford being able to buy our players let alone a team that has achieved as much as Ajax. Fucking nonsense and I will never respect the European achievements of such teams anymore.

Denying young Bears their Laudrups. Bastards :p20:

I'm always a bit right-wing when I'm hungover mate so maybe they just need told rather than bombed :)

If wishing death on Murdoch and his empire makes you right wing then I shall accompany you in a coordinated goosestep.

26 minutes ago, William McBeath said:

Cheers mate, knew that was some structure for a boat. No expert and was denied my vocation by Thatcher, although I'm kind of happy about it now, but my old papa was mad about boats and stuff but I don't think I have ever seen one like that before. I see what you mean and was wondering what the fuck that was at the front. Wouldn't mind actually learning about ancient Greece. Informed much of our modes of reasoning today. I was denied the chance to study philosophy because the cunts at Strathclyde closed down the department. But of course lots of it would come through in other subjects and without being able to remember for sure but is it called the dialogues where Socrates demolishes all the thinkers of the day in the Republic by simply reducing their ideas backwards to their biased roots. Not sure if that's right but remember an old professer going over a lot of it and it was funny and and clever as fuck. Is that cynic the one who gave away all his dough? Remember short sort of talks on individuals but to be honest all that mattered to me by that stage was the modern industrial period and the thoughts of people like E.P Thompson and Marx. Got to laugh now right enough but it was all good at the time and still helps me see beyond a lot of nonsense. That reductionism does work :) Although people never thank you for going backwards  and exploring the seeds of their prejudices. I'm not sure though if that is Socrates right enough. Fuck knows it was that long ago now. No doubt cunts will rip the pish out of this post mate but I am ripped and liked your answer lol

It is a distinctive looking ship, must have made the cunts facing it wonder what the fuck was coming at them. Sometimes I see things like the pyramids and achievements of the Incas and wonder if something has been hidden from us. Same with these Greek philosophers. Seem millenniums ahead of their times. Strange old world.

49576985.jpg

Yes, mate. The Platonic dialogues expressing Socratic method. The good thing about it is you don't need to go to university to appreciate it. Just grab a copy of The Republic, or better still The Penguin Classics' Last Days of Socrates and read away. It's fascinating stuff.

Diogenes was indeed the chap that made a virtue of poverty and simplicity, amongst other things that lead to some... interesting... behaviour. Socrates gone made, so they say.

29 minutes ago, William McBeath said:

Chill brother, we cool :D

Funny you should say that though as even as a boy I sort of thought of the Broomloan as being the away end. I was over twenty by the time I went there and that was only because it was the family section. It is mad that to consider a part of your own stadium as not your own. Maybe we are nutters though but seemed a widespread feeling when I was young. I'm talking nineties though. Now its the loudest section of the ground lol

My heart will always be in the east enclosure although it is terrible for atmosphere these days. I hope the club brings it back with this new age standing stuff.

Was only really "not our own" for OF matches. It was common for fans to "change ends" as well as the teams. Some people liked to be behind the goal their team was attacking. As has already been said, you could walk right round behind the covered terracing (usually stopping for a pish on the way).

2 minutes ago, WadeWilson said:

If wishing death on Murdoch and his empire makes you right wing then I shall accompany you in a coordinated goosestep.

When unnecessary middle men are allowed to become worth more than a 100 million quid let alone 10 billion then I believe we have let them become god like. Just my opinion mate but if someone is not willing to get up off their arse and be motivated when they are allowed to earn hundreds of thousands per year and all the status and good life that comes with that then I would consider them a fool and probably drown them in a lavatory. It wouldn't happen though as they would strive just as hard. Your right though its really nothing to do with left or right more just a massive nonsense that most of the world seems to swallow. I mean look at the nick of Trump, is he really worth the same as hundreds of millions of people? All a lot of nonsense yet we sit here watching the news with politicians saying our population is growing old and we will probably end up having to restrict the NHS and let the infirm go without treatment. Lot of bollocks no matter what your political views are.

4 hours ago, William McBeath said:

My all time favourite strip is the Davie Cooper one that I believe this years one is based on. I thought I was past strips but its that good that even this lesser version has me tempted. True art and beauty is always hard to resist :drool:

End up posting a few pics I found but who cares when its these guys :)

GP31125110.jpg

Jimmy Phillips, Davie Kirkwood,Graham Roberts, Durrant, Coop, Coisty, Souness, the Divine Cardigan, the Girvan Lighthoose, Phil Boersma, Stuart 'Perenially Underrated' Munro, Sadie McPherson, Big Terry, Jimmy Nich, Chris Woods, Wee George Soutar the chocolate bar dispenser/witholder, Robert Fleck, Derek Ferguson. 

Easy.