Always remember

If we had nicked a draw then progressed to the final and lost then I can understand that opinion but I take a lot out of the impressive manner in which we played in that game (especially the first half). We really took the game to them and showed that this year we would be ready to compete, I had a tim come up to me in Tesco and say that he didn't know we were capable of playing such high possession style of football.

Had that team spirit and sharpness been present in the second half at Hampden then I am pretty sure we would have won it, anyway I take the highs with the lows the semi was a high and the final a low. I am sure most of our memories of that night in Florence outshine the loss in the final.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, RFCRobertson said:

That's the outlook of the original goal that Mr Warburton stated when he came to power. It's about promotion. The Scottish cup was never the goal. We got promotion and we beat Celtic, that to me meant more at the time than what lifting the Scottish cup would've meant. 

It's about the future, Hibs future will be in the championship without us battling for promotion for the 3rd year running. Our future is going for 55 this season and celtic are in the way of that. We beat them and instilled fear into them. 

It would've been very nice to have gotten a treble last season, and would've capped off an amazing season. 

However it was never the goal last season to get the SC, we've got the chance to get it this year again and the next year etc etc.

Last season was about promotion. 

Really? Surely after we got to the final and had about 4 weeks to prepare it should have become one big fucking almighty goal to win the Scottish Cup? I'm sure at no time in his preparations Mark Warburton told the players not to bother about the final as it wasn't one of our goals for the season.

We fucked up big time in that final and lost out on a European place. I'm still well pissed off about that.

1 hour ago, In Dungeons Deep said:

That's what I'm saying, that game was the highlight but it shouldn't have been, the final would've been had things gone differently. It's the highlight of clubs like Partick Thistle's season to beat them, not us.

Even If we'd won the final,putting those bastards In their place would still have been the highlight of the season 

TJk8DH.gif

Couldn't give a toss about that poor final. The truth is that the bheggars,tramps and thieves hated losing that semi and that match in years to come will have more importance in our history than losing to a bunch of cunts who we might not have to play for years to come. Fuck hibs :uk: 

5 minutes ago, scottyscott1963 said:

Couldn't give a toss about that poor final. The truth is that the bheggars,tramps and thieves hated losing that semi and that match in years to come will have more importance in our history than losing to a bunch of cunts who we might not have to play for years to come. Fuck hibs :uk: 

So instead of enjoying European nights at Ibrox again we get to play the likes of Annan and East Stirling in the League cup instead.

Think the emotion of the final is still raw but as time goes by the game will take its role in history as an important and emotional victory , like now people tend to look back at the 98 semi as its own individual game with fondness despite how the season ended that year 

2 hours ago, scottyscott1963 said:

Are we ready for European nights?
Would take beating the tramps over a win against Lincoln Red Imps any day. "ANY DAY"!!!!!!
:D:lol: 

So you would rather beat celtic than play in the Champions League? Bonkers!

Best day of my life. Thinking back to the sheer unbridled joy in the stands when we won, that roar, strangers hugging each other like family, grown men in tears - still gives me a wee lump in the throat. There was so much in that game for our supporters, after everything we've been through we proper fucking deserved that. 

I was absolutely floored for 3 days after it, just a total immune system crash. I genuinely put it down to just how draining those 3 hours or so were :lol:

3 hours ago, scottyscott1963 said:

Are we ready for European nights?
Would take beating the tramps over a win against Lincoln Red Imps any day. "ANY DAY"!!!!!!
:D:lol: 

Honk honk. 

Raise your chin ya roaster, we've been pumping that lot for years and will do for years to come. 

Stop fucking acting like it's the first time. 

34 minutes ago, Vanoli said:

Best day of my life. Thinking back to the sheer unbridled joy in the stands when we won, that roar, strangers hugging each other like family, grown men in tears - still gives me a wee lump in the throat. There was so much in that game for our supporters, after everything we've been through we proper fucking deserved that. 

I was absolutely floored for 3 days after it, just a total immune system crash. I genuinely put it down to just how draining those 3 hours or so were :lol:

I've had many a night watching Rangers exactly with those feelings, I will have many more to come that is for sure. 

7 hours ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Was brilliant at the time, still is to an extent, but losing to the Edinburgh junkies in the final takes some gloss off the win IMO.

It made what could have been a great season an average one. The minimum was the Championship and Petrofac.

I lost the rag with a guy on the bus because he said we'd still had a great season.

Ask me in 10 years time if the SF win over the tramps after the 4 years shite and a SF defeat from the tramps along the way would make up for  a match against the dregs of Europe in the 1st round of the Europa cup and what had the most significance in your lives. Where we were as a club for me will always be beating they cunts. What FUCKIN Champions League are you imagining this year. What was the name of the teams hearts,hibs and aberdeen played in the 1st round of the europa???? Me personally would rather we were pumping tarrriers every day of the week than playing any of these european giants. ANY FUCKIN DAY OF THE WEEK!!!!!!!!!

7 hours ago, scottyscott1963 said:

It was a draw.

Penalty shootouts mean fuck all, apart from they get you through.

(or not!!!)

If we'd won in 90 or even 120 mins, I'd fully agree with what you say.

3 hours ago, Vanoli said:

We musta been on the same bheggar humping bus :lol::lol::uk: 

Just now, scottyscott1963 said:

:D

We'd played so well throughout the game that a draw was the least we deserved & it was great to mark it by progressing, penalties, whatever! ?

But it wasn't quite as seismic as if we'd won outright!

Bloody marvellous at the time, of course!

The whole thing takes me back to when Hivs beat the vermin & us on the way to the league cup final,  then lost to Livi!!!

Done the hard work, or what?

5 minutes ago, HG5 said:

We'd played so well throughout the game that a draw was the least we deserved & it was great to mark it by progressing, penalties, whatever! ?

But it wasn't quite as seismic as if we'd won outright!

Bloody marvellous at the time, of course!

The whole thing takes me back to when Hivs beat the vermin & us on the way to the league cup final,  then lost to Livi!!!

Done the hard work, or what?

Sorry HG5.. its all about the history books and history will show us beating them in an SF of the SC while we were in a lower league. Not sure how many will put much attention on the fact it was penalties but not sure whether I care. Lets just hope they will dwell on the fact we won the SF against the PL team.

1 minute ago, scottyscott1963 said:

Sorry HG5.. its all about the history books and history will show us beating them in an SF of the SC while we were in a lower league. Not sure how many will put much attention on the fact it was penalties but not sure whether I care. Lets just hope they will dwell on the fact we won the SF against the PL team.

Hope so!

4 minutes ago, scottyscott1963 said:

We were also the first team to score against them in that tournament. In saying that they were facing championship teams and below. 

While we had 3 matches against SPFL teams and once against a league 2 team. 

7 hours ago, HG5 said:

It was a draw.

Penalty shootouts mean fuck all, apart from they get you through.

(or not!!!)

If we'd won in 90 or even 120 mins, I'd fully agree with what you say.

I remember thinking fuck it we only drew, after this game finished 

The highlight of my season would have been Rangers winning the Scottish cup in the lower leagues, instead we threw it away.  Aye this was a great day, but now in terms of history it meant absolutely fuck all.  I'll enjoy the highlights and the goals, the same way I enjoy watching the 2-1 Scottish cup semi in 1998, but just like that day, it meant fuck all in the grand scheme of things.

27 minutes ago, Don54 said:

I remember thinking fuck it we only drew, after this game finished 

Nice one!

Wasn't there that time but I recall it being a brilliant game!

I suppose it makes a difference when you get to lift the cup at the end of it, although I was at the LC shootout v the Arabs &, while I enjoyed the win, I didn't think it felt quite the same as the other wins I'd been at.